worse than waiting for delivery

ratso

Re: worse than waiting for delivery
« Reply #20 on: 25 Nov 2012, 02:14 pm »
i actually had no idea that the ss8's were so much smaller than my ht-2tl's. very surprising.  :o

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #21 on: 25 Nov 2012, 03:31 pm »
Another article I read says that tipover can be as big a factor as drop, especially for large packages.

I found this alarming from the article.

"One disheartening result was that our package received more abuse when marked "Fragile" or "This Side Up." The carriers flipped the package more, and it registered above-average acceleration spikes during trips for which we requested careful treatment. "

This might indicate that tagging the package with a sensor could do more harm than good.

I know this is anecdotal but I had a conversation with the UPS guy who delivers at work and he said some of their workers find it a challenge if the package is marked fragile. Sad.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #22 on: 25 Nov 2012, 04:34 pm »
Thanks very much.  Like Jim, I've had pretty good luck with Fed Ex.  They've only crushed one cabinet, and they made good on it with no hassle. 

JerryLove

« Reply #23 on: 25 Nov 2012, 05:55 pm »
Yes. My speakers arrived upside down.

What the shock sensors do (and in freight they are often placed visibly on the outside) is allow you to establish mishandling from before even opening the box. When a server arrives, the company will tell you to refuse shipment (or at least not open) a package where the sensors have tripped.

A shipper should discuss with the shipping company before setting up a policy there.

PETE6737

• Revel 2 channel
« Reply #24 on: 25 Nov 2012, 09:42 pm »
Geez,
You all have me worried that my SS8s are gonna come in twenty pieces with boot marks and dents all over! Crap, I hope they are gentle with my babies!

Austin08

« Reply #25 on: 25 Nov 2012, 10:06 pm »
Good thing is my arrived safe and sound for all three boxes. (two boxes got hit on the side but nothing i would consider serious). Lucky me since each box weight about 120lbs. Too much for one man to handle. I would recommend you guy offer a helping hand when your stuffs come.   :thumb:

fsimms

« Reply #26 on: 26 Nov 2012, 04:04 pm »
Geez,
You all have me worried that my SS8s are gonna come in twenty pieces with boot marks and dents all over! Crap, I hope they are gentle with my babies!

As Jim stated, he ships Accuton based speakers on a pallet which eliminates the breakage problem.  I wouldn't worry.

Bob

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #27 on: 26 Nov 2012, 05:30 pm »
Jim had shipped these speakers to me on a pallet by freight and there was no damage whatsoever.  I took a chance and shipped them to guf individually using fed-ex.  I figured the chances were small that this would happen.  Arranging freight from here turned out to be even more expensive than fed-ex ground, and would have taken 2 weeks plus while fed-ex took one week.  I considered removing the accutons and shipping separately but thought this was likely overkill.  Born under a bad sign!  I insured them for full value, but I don't expect there's a chance of reimbursement with no damage to the outside.  Maybe with an accelerometer, but not without.  At least not with a major battle.

Hopefully, all's well that ends well!

.......Peter

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #28 on: 29 Nov 2012, 06:54 am »
I have to do a double take on the accutons on my ss10s

The lighting in t he room cats a semi circular shadow that looks like the driver has been punched in.

PETE6737

• Revel 2 channel
« Reply #29 on: 29 Nov 2012, 09:05 am »
I am going to have to lug the SS8s up a flight of stairs. I wonder if I should take them out of the boxes first or struggle with the boxes in a tight staircase...I have people standing by for the call when they arrive to help with the 126 pound workout x2...

Austin08

« Reply #30 on: 29 Nov 2012, 09:10 am »
I am going to have to lug the SS8s up a flight of stairs. I wonder if I should take them out of the boxes first or struggle with the boxes in a tight staircase...I have people standing by for the call when they arrive to help with the 126 pound workout x2...

If you have a shoulder trap like the one that all the appliance installers use, you would be ok.  :thumb:

PETE6737

• Revel 2 channel
« Reply #31 on: 29 Nov 2012, 09:44 am »
I hear you! I was thinking more like a blanket type stretcher like a combat stretcher to carry them up..a person on each end...not looking forward to this part of getting my new speakers!

srb

« Reply #32 on: 29 Nov 2012, 10:48 am »
If you have a shoulder trap like the one that all the appliance installers use, you would be ok.  :thumb:

I think he meant a shoulder STRAP or more often referred to as a shoulder dolly .....

Steve

glangford

« Reply #33 on: 29 Nov 2012, 11:07 am »

I'd definitely leave them in their boxes until they are near their final resting place.  Best to not risk a bump on that finish.

That's what I did.  The fed ex guy brought my 100 lb package of SCSTs into the great room and I slid away a couch and had him put them there. Then is was only a slight slide of the box across the area rug.  It wasn't until then I opened the box, right next to the set up for installing the plinths and about 2 ft away from final resting place.

PETE6737

• Revel 2 channel
« Reply #34 on: 29 Nov 2012, 11:18 am »
I'll probably unbox them in the theater but its going to be a workout!