Bryston 4B

EzraS

Bryston 4B
« on: 12 Jul 2010, 06:44 pm »
This is my first post. I was recently give a Bryston 4B by my brother which had been in his attic for many years. The serial number is 411662. I suspect it requires servicing as when I connected it to my old Rogers LS35a speakers  using a Musical Fidelity headphone amp as a preamp the old Rogers seized up.  Perhaps the Bryston was not the problem but I would like to determine the unit's date of manufacture and whether it is worth having it evaluated and serviced by Bryston. Mr. Tanner's and all others opinions and advice would be welcome.  Thanks.

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
Re: Bryston 4B
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jul 2010, 07:24 pm »
I have a 4B from June 1981 I just bought back in March, I spent $575 to have it updated. This was done by Bryston. It was money well spent.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #2 on: 12 Jul 2010, 09:00 pm »
How is your 4B doing anyway? How does it sound?

etcarroll

« Reply #3 on: 12 Jul 2010, 10:07 pm »
How is your 4B doing anyway? How does it sound?

Well VD, you know how it goes, I'm trying different ICs, I'm making a diy PC for my cdp, don't have 100 hours on the new caps yet,  etc.

But from what listening I have done, it's all good!.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #4 on: 12 Jul 2010, 10:56 pm »
Right, I hear ya, Cool, sounds great!

etcarroll

« Reply #5 on: 15 Jul 2010, 11:56 am »
EzraS - If you've not yet gotten a response from Mr. Tanner, you want to to either email him direct, or run a search on his posts as I know I once saw an explanation of how the code tells you the manufacture date, but I can't find it again.

Gene

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #6 on: 15 Jul 2010, 09:12 pm »
This is my first post. I was recently give a Bryston 4B by my brother which had been in his attic for many years. The serial number is 411662. I suspect it requires servicing as when I connected it to my old Rogers LS35a speakers  using a Musical Fidelity headphone amp as a preamp the old Rogers seized up.  Perhaps the Bryston was not the problem but I would like to determine the unit's date of manufacture and whether it is worth having it evaluated and serviced by Bryston. Mr. Tanner's and all others opinions and advice would be welcome.  Thanks.

Hi,

Manufactured 5/11/1987 unit is 23 yrs old

james

EzraS

« Reply #7 on: 19 Jul 2010, 07:07 pm »
Thanks Gene and James. Sorry for the delayed reply. Do you think I should send this amp to the Bryston service center in Vermont given the incident with my speakers? EzraS

etcarroll

« Reply #8 on: 19 Jul 2010, 08:19 pm »
Well, only you can answer that.

However, you can look at my thread "what to look for under the hood of a 30 year old....", and in it are my after shot, followed by another user's pic of before, (which was exactly how mine looked prior to sending in). Then pop the top off of yours, 6 to 8 small screws, and the top comes right off.

If it looks like the before pic in my thread, I'd recommend you send it in with your first post as explanation, and get them to both check and upgrade it.

Call 1st, as I think you need to use the Bryston box, which I assume you don't have. My local dealer shipped mine to VT. for me.

EzraS

« Reply #9 on: 20 Jul 2010, 07:59 pm »
Thanks Gene. I will investigate further. Dennis at Bryston service in Vermont reminded me that the dual mono design of the 4B makes it unlikely that the amp was at fault for the incident in which my speakers failed as it would have involved both channels. EzraS