Sonic improvements when upgrading BP25 power supply to MPS-2

b5pt9

I've got a BP25 with the original PSR (?) type power supply.  This is the 24VAC power supply that looks similar to the MPS1 24VDC unit.

I see several folks here are showing a BP25 with MPS2 power supply in their signature.

Were there any sonic improvements when upgrading the PS and how would you describe them?

I've had some input from James separately so I know what to expect theoretically.  Just looking for some testimonials.

Mad Mr H

Re: Sonic improvements when upgrading BP25 power supply to MPS-2
« Reply #1 on: 22 Nov 2009, 04:04 pm »
As I understood None - But happy to hear otherwise......

The new PSU has additional triggers, looks the part, and is better designed for intergration of a number of Bryston products.

Anyone got a lid off picture? I would like to see that.

(A BP26 with MPS2 is on my wish list - I am still giving thought to which version internal DAC or External with a BCD-1)

Andy.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #2 on: 22 Nov 2009, 04:30 pm »

b5pt9

« Reply #3 on: 22 Nov 2009, 04:57 pm »
Thanks for the input Andy.  Sweet photo James :drool: I hate to spend money on aesthetics only so I hope someone out there heard a difference hint hint.

Some other questions:

1) Iis Bryston modifying components to accept the 5-pin 24VDC power input?  My BDA-1 doesn't have a 5-pin DIN connector, just the 120V input.  How much for the PS mod and will I end up with both 120V and 24VDC power supply options?

2) Is the BP25 -> BP26 upgrade still available for $600 and how long will this be available?  I know the offer is contingent on purchasing a new MPS-2.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #4 on: 22 Nov 2009, 05:11 pm »
Only the BP26 (or BP25 moded) and the BP1.5 Phono stage and the 10B Electronic crossover can be used with the MPS-2 power supply.

james

Hififreak

• www.brystonheritage.com
    • www.hififreaks.nl
« Reply #5 on: 22 Nov 2009, 05:18 pm »
You can use the unmoded BP25 with the MPS2.
The only thing you must have is a different cable to connect the BP25-MPS2.

Look at page 5 of this document.

werd

« Reply #6 on: 22 Nov 2009, 05:41 pm »
As I understood None - But happy to hear otherwise......

The new PSU has additional triggers, looks the part, and is better designed for intergration of a number of Bryston products.

Anyone got a lid off picture? I would like to see that.

(A BP26 with MPS2 is on my wish list - I am still giving thought to which version internal DAC or External with a BCD-1)

Andy.

We've been through this before
There is a  difference, especially if plugged into the wall or a lousy power conditioner. I own the both the stock mps1 and mps2 that i purchased afterwards. No alterations were needed for the mps2, it and was a plug and play situation. The mps2 let the pre breath more  and gave it a more relaxed soundstage with much improved prat. It rocked out better too.

However with the Torus the differences with the power supplies were still there but narrowed significantly. Infact some might like the mps1 over mps2 as the Torus improved this power supplied signicantly.

b5pt9

« Reply #7 on: 22 Nov 2009, 06:16 pm »
Hi Werd, I was going to mention in my original post that I'd spoken previously to you as well as James. Thanks again for the MPS-1 offer.

I'm still on the fence about upgrading the PS and soliciting other input. 

I don't have a Torus but my system runs from a dedicated hospital grade receptacle fed from a 5000VA Powervar unit (isolation transformer) in the basement.

werd

« Reply #8 on: 23 Nov 2009, 12:31 am »
Hi Werd, I was going to mention in my original post that I'd spoken previously to you as well as James. Thanks again for the MPS-1 offer.

I'm still on the fence about upgrading the PS and soliciting other input. 

I don't have a Torus but my system runs from a dedicated hospital grade receptacle fed from a 5000VA Powervar unit (isolation transformer) in the basement.

Hey R2 b5pt9 D2

You are welcome to try it anytime you want, just so long as you flip for the shipping.

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #9 on: 23 Nov 2009, 04:13 am »
I have the MPS1 with a Nordost 'Vishnu' power cord. The cord did make an overall inprovment in soundstaging and smoothness . My point is that I would rather upgrade the power amp first. The MPS1 has a single transformer as well but it is dedicated to only the preamp. If there is only the peamp used then why the the additional outlets? The change  to the SST2 power is a greater gain for money spent. I beleive there is a refinment in the MPS2 but upgrades in source would come first in my setup! :dance: