SurgeX intallation question - 10 meters from service box?

Jonathon Janusz

Dave, as the local AudioCircle resident with the most experience with the SurgeX product line, I thought it best to ask this here.

Reading the manufacturer's manuals on these units, the specifically caution against installing them unless there is at least 10 meters of power line run between them and the electrical service panel.  I'm wondering why this is, as I live in an apartment and the room where my gear is actually contains the service panel for the apartment, meaning there is probably 3 meters at max between wall outlet and electrical panel.  Is this just a limitation on the units with the remote control/programming/integrated multimeter functionality, as I don't see the same caution noted in the install manual for the stand-alone non rack mount units?

Thanks!

Speedskater

• Kevin
Re: SurgeX intallation question - 10 meters from service box?
« Reply #1 on: 4 Feb 2018, 08:24 pm »
That's a 'UL' rule for all point of use suppressors.  But it applies to the distance from the building's main service panel. Not the individual apartment panel. Just got a huge library book on NEC code, I'll look for the reasoning.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #2 on: 4 Feb 2018, 10:59 pm »
So I looked in four different likely places, but no clarification.

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #3 on: 4 Feb 2018, 11:05 pm »
That's a 'UL' rule for all point of use suppressors.  But it applies to the distance from the building's main service panel. Not the individual apartment panel.

Thanks for that clarification, and funny you should mention that... as the building mains is basically on the other side of the wall from my panel...

Maybe worth dropping an email to the manufacturer to clarify.  If I get a reply back, I'll post an update.

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #4 on: 5 Feb 2018, 12:14 am »
Thanks SS.

I've asked and it is indeed a UL requirement but I'm not sure exactly why. I was told for home use it won't matter but I'm not making any sort of guarantee, statement, etc... I also don't change the basic function of the SurgeX units, all I do is refurbish them and upgrade the parts, I did not design the units. The manufacturer is the authority on their own products, I am not.

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #5 on: 6 Feb 2018, 12:01 am »
Just to wrap this up, quoted from an email sent to the manufacturer's tech support:

"UL1449 requires the 30’ statement be included with all Type3 SPDs, unless they have undergone Nominal Discharge Current testing.

However, UL does not currently provide a testing procedure that is compatible with our unique Series Mode product topologies, so we are required to provide the statement."

charmerci

« Reply #6 on: 6 Feb 2018, 09:06 am »
Just a quick question about the on/off switch. Why? Does it continue to protect against a surge with it off?

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #7 on: 6 Feb 2018, 02:13 pm »
I didn't know there were all these "issues" to the "commercial" subpanel version of Surge X.  I had 2x20amp unit installed about 15' from the house panel about 10 years ago and haven't had any issues.  I haven't fried any audio equipment but I haven't had any lightening strike near me that I can recall either. 

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #8 on: 6 Feb 2018, 02:48 pm »
Just a quick question about the on/off switch. Why? Does it continue to protect against a surge with it off?

There are 3 sequenced banks of 4 outlets on an SEQ so you can turn on/off your system in sequence to avoid any spikes getting amplified. When it's off there are also 2 "always on" outlets that are always protected against surge as well.

woodsyi, I've been told by SurgeX it's not an issue, they have to include that verbiage by law as UL has no way to properly test their gear.

charmerci

« Reply #9 on: 6 Feb 2018, 11:53 pm »
There are 3 sequenced banks of 4 outlets on an SEQ so you can turn on/off your system in sequence to avoid any spikes getting amplified. When it's off there are also 2 "always on" outlets that are always protected against surge as well.

Thx. Just to be clear, that means I can use the SurgeX switch to turn on and off all my components at the "same" time.

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #10 on: 7 Feb 2018, 02:17 am »
Thx. Just to be clear, that means I can use the SurgeX switch to turn on and off all my components at the "same" time.

Yes, or sequenced on/off. One of the 3 sequenced banks can also be changed to always on so you'd have 2 sequenced banks of 4 each and 6 always on outlets.