BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD

vortecjr

• Industry Contributor
  • the sound has to be in concert with the music....
    • Sonore by Simple Design
Re: BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #980 on: 20 Jun 2015, 11:39 am »
Hi

We have not tested the Chordette but sounds like an incompatibility issue.

james

The USB audio driver for the Chord Chordette should be included in recent Linux kernels. The Chord Chordette uses the M2Tech hiFace OEM interface and it not appear in the list of devices depending on where the units software looks for information about connected devices. I would connect the Chord Chordette via USB without any other USB device connected to the unit and try playback as it might be working properly without displaying its presence. 

Jesus R     

vortecjr

• Industry Contributor
  • the sound has to be in concert with the music....
    • Sonore by Simple Design
« Reply #981 on: 20 Jun 2015, 11:53 am »
Hi Chris:   ( BDP-2 with latest update )
 Would like to try USB out to a PS Audio PWD II.  Do I plug it in "hot" or must both the player and DAC be powered down first.

Thanks, Rich

This is in general and not specific to this unit. Linux will automatically discover and play to most USB audio devices when hot plugged. However, there are few USB audio devices that need you to reboot the Linux operating system. One reason for this seems to be related to the fact that some units default to a particular hardware output and the order that you plug things in can makes a difference for playback. There are also some USB audio devices that require that you power cycle them before you power on the unit. As an example, this is necessary with the Mytek USB 2 input because the DAC needs to exchange a firmware with the unit on first boot up.

Jesus R   

Rocket

« Reply #982 on: 22 Jun 2015, 02:51 pm »
Hi Guys,

Well I received a phone call today to inform me that the Bryston Bdp 1 is on its way from Melbourne.  It should arrive before the end of the week.

Okay I exclusively use a Mac Book Pro and store my music using iTunes.  I'm wondering Apple lossless is supported on the Bdp 1 and also whether I have to format the usb hard drive using FAT 32?

Thanks of your help.

Regards Rod

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #983 on: 22 Jun 2015, 03:25 pm »
Hi Guys,

Well I received a phone call today to inform me that the Bryston Bdp 1 is on its way from Melbourne.  It should arrive before the end of the week.

Okay I exclusively use a Mac Book Pro and store my music using iTunes.  I'm wondering Apple lossless is supported on the Bdp 1 and also whether I have to format the usb hard drive using FAT 32?

Thanks of your help.

Regards Rod

Hi Rod

Yes the BDP will support Apple Lossless.

Are you using the drive in your computer to store the music or an external drive?  If external format it Fat 32 or NTSF.  FAT 32 will work on a MAC or a Windows computer.  Most Thumb-drives come formatted FAT32

james

Rod_S

« Reply #984 on: 22 Jun 2015, 06:55 pm »
OK I got the BDP-2. It never occurred to me before to check out the weight, I always assumed it would be a light thing but it's actually rather heavy considering it's thickness. Also quite a robust power cord for a digital component. I ordered the extra long 8 foot one but didn't measure before I installed and connected to my Furman but it was just barely long enough. I'll pull it later on just to see if it's 8' and not 6'.

So I got it to see my NAS but only what seems like the 1st 300 songs ordered by artist alphabetically. There doesn't seem to be a page next for me to keep scrolling through all my content. I assume you can do that but how do I see my entire music catalog? But an even bigger problem I can't get any sound out of the unit. I can see on the web interface on my computer the song is playing and can see the song on the display. Is there a trick to get sound to output form the AES/EBU jack? The input on my SSP is properly set to the AES/EBU input. What is being output from the AES/EBU jack, I assume it's PCM?

I clicked on one icon that said "Album view has yet to be built, building view this may take a few minutes" When I click OK that message is immediately followed by a message saying "Please go into Disk Information and select a drive to be used as the scratch drive". What's that mean?

Rod_S

« Reply #985 on: 22 Jun 2015, 07:22 pm »
Correction, I thought I had a song playing and just couldn't hear it but that wasn't the case the progress indicator sort of goes across as you load up the media player which fooled me. No matter what song I click on and press play the song won't play not even from the front panel. I'm clearly missing something simple.

Rod_S

« Reply #986 on: 22 Jun 2015, 07:54 pm »
I just noticed in the System screen the unit is seeing 4958 songs so it knows they are there on the NAS.

ttsto

« Reply #987 on: 22 Jun 2015, 08:07 pm »
Hi
From my experience some thoughts:

0. When powering on BDP, give time to finalize all boot sequence. This is done when you see a square sign on the VFD
1. After setting the NAS, click on Update link that appears in left top corner of web interface
2. Give time to update music library. Update is running all time when on VFD display, second line, first letter is U
3. Click on the Media Player text in right top corner; this will change your view
4. on the new view, in the right panel, you should see a panel with some folders, first should be music_on_your_NAS; click on it, not on the + sign
5. this should open folders structure on your NAS, navigate by scrolling and clicking on the name of sub-folders, not on +;
6. choose your desired folder to be played by clicking on the +; on the left panel you should see tracks from that folder; click on a track and will start to play

After you get comfortable with this interface, you may create playlists

Scratch drive is a USB stick that BDP will use to create swap files and store libraries that will create if you want to create album databases

There is also simpler ways to play music that I would recommend:
- for PC: install Cantata
- for smartphone/tablet: install a MPD player

Rod_S

« Reply #988 on: 22 Jun 2015, 08:21 pm »
Thanks

I can now browse through all of the folders and files on my NAS. I can't seem to get them to play or add them to the list on the left though. I click Clear and it empties the list on the left however as soon as I choose the + next to an album or go into the album folder and click + next to a song the same 300 song list just reappears on the left. Any thoughts as to what's going on?

Rod_S

« Reply #989 on: 22 Jun 2015, 08:27 pm »
hmmm...When I changed from Default view to Song View I can see what I added so that's good. It's odd though that the Default View is not properly being updated but at least I can choose items now. Still can't actually play anything though. Clicking Play does absolutely nothing.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #990 on: 22 Jun 2015, 08:41 pm »
hmmm...When I changed from Default view to Song View I can see what I added so that's good. It's odd though that the Default View is not properly being updated but at least I can choose items now. Still can't actually play anything though. Clicking Play does absolutely nothing.

Make sure you hit UPDATE on MM interface or Refresh Cache on MPAD

james

Rod_S

« Reply #991 on: 22 Jun 2015, 08:52 pm »
Hi James yeah Update is not doing anything, at least not for the list on the left. I can Clear it, then click Update then click + next to an album and the 300 songs pop back in.

I notice in the list there is a 'N' below the song I'm currently on. What does that mean? I see that on the BDP's display as well.

To simplify things I plugged in the Bryston USB stick to try and play songs directly off of that, still no luck, nothing happens, no sound at all. Besides the song and artist name I see || or N (that's beside the artist name), I'll briefly get a Loading when I click Play but other than that nothing.

Rod_S

« Reply #992 on: 22 Jun 2015, 08:57 pm »
Paying really close attention after I click Play occasionally there is the Play symbol for a fraction of a second but it seems to kick into pause mode immediately. I assume that's what the || symbol I'm seeing indicates.

Spyman

« Reply #993 on: 22 Jun 2015, 09:04 pm »
Rod, have you tried unplugging the BDP and letting it sit for a minute or two? That sometimes makes things better.
Terry

Rod_S

« Reply #994 on: 22 Jun 2015, 09:09 pm »
Thanks, will give that a try now.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #995 on: 22 Jun 2015, 09:10 pm »
Thanks, will give that a try now.

Hi Rod

Where are you located?

james

Rod_S

« Reply #996 on: 22 Jun 2015, 09:10 pm »
Nova Scotia

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #997 on: 22 Jun 2015, 09:12 pm »
Nova Scotia

Ok email Gary - gdayton@bryston.com - and he will help.

james

Rod_S

« Reply #998 on: 22 Jun 2015, 09:22 pm »
Thanks

Unplugging, waiting a few minutes and reconnecting the power cord seems to have sorted out the issue with the list view not properly populating so that's good. Still not getting any audio as the songs just won't play. I'm going to try swapping the AES/EBU for a S/PDIF.

Rod_S

« Reply #999 on: 22 Jun 2015, 09:33 pm »
Still no luck on getting files to play with the S/PDIF cable. The left hand list is still working correctly on my iPad but there does seem to be a bug when using IE 11 and Windows 8.1 as my laptop is still exhibiting the same behaviour.