Definitive Technologies Mythos Two speakers

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Definitive Technologies Mythos Two speakers
« Reply #1 on: 25 May 2020, 12:18 pm »
Discontinued, are you looking at the used market?

Don't like MTM design, it produces an obvious phasing issue between mid/woofers and creates a vertical head in vice effect to avoid them cancelling each other out at various frequencies.  MTM main advantage is increasing the overall speaker efficiency by using two mid/woofers to match tweeter efficiency.  A secondary advantage is better compliance with the THX standard for reducing vertical signal bounce. 

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 25 May 2020, 05:27 pm »
I came across a pair as a trade for a bunch of car audio installation hardware plus some other stuff he could use.

The speakers work, but no grills nor any other hardware. Just the bases mounted. There is a scratch on a top corner of one of the cabinets, but overall acceptable as a cheap speaker. I might keep them for a while, but if somebody needs them more than me, I will pawn them off. I was just wondering people's opinion on them.

------------------------------

I think he bought multiple sets when they were on sale or something, because almost all of their wall-mounted TVs have a set or more connected to that TV (with an A/V or stereo receiver and DVD player).

This guy is not an audiophile, but in the man cave there is a set of Def Tech towers that has the side woofers). Has tons of CDs and DVDs including many concerts. Always wearing band or concert T-shirts when not working, and has a ton of those including some vintage and rare ones.

I told him about the Audio Circle and similar forums as well as CAF, but mainly goes online to find out about music/concerts or auto shows/races/meets. Not really interested in social media/forums as a whole nor audio shows. If he needed new speakers, he would just buy another set of Def Techs.

richidoo

« Reply #3 on: 25 May 2020, 09:02 pm »
I never heard Mythos 2, but I drooled for Mythos One when it first came out, before I caught the audiophile bug. Every deftech speaker I've heard sounded at least good, some very good.

I use their tiniest-ever ProCinema60 3" satellites, 10" DIY sub, 20yo Onkyo in 5.1 surround and I love how it sounds. Similar vintage to the Mythos line.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 26 May 2020, 01:54 am »
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-FkVsAfm93Yx/p_735MYTH1/Definitive-Technology-Mythos-One.html

The Two's are smaller versions of the One's from what I can tell.

They are not bad considering it was traded for a collection of wire products so he can have several batteries in his old school camper-van. Plus, I gave him a cheap blue-tooth speaker.

I will play with them for a while.