Highest Quality Set Up for SqueezeBox Playback?

TomW16

Highest Quality Set Up for SqueezeBox Playback?
« on: 17 Sep 2009, 07:06 pm »
I have a HP Media Server and I will load Squeeze Center onto the server and use it to play music through a SqueezeBox Duet through an external DAC.

After that, I will begin to rip CDs but I am not sure of what software to use to obtain the highest quality playback.  Storage should not be an issue so I am discounting lossless compression (e.g. FLAC) unless there is a compelling reason to do so.

EAC and dbPowerAmp appear to be the condenders for accurate ripping.

WAV files appear to be the best quality but there could be tagging issues for the metadata (cover art, etc.).

There is tons of information by searching but as with anything cutting edge, the information gets out of date quickly so I thought I would pose the question of what people would use today if they were setting up their discless system.

Thanks.
Tom

Wayne1

Re: Highest Quality Set Up for SqueezeBox Playback?
« Reply #1 on: 17 Sep 2009, 07:56 pm »
Hello Tom,

I believe you have touched on most the solutions, already.

I do suggest FLAC files using dbPowerAmp. FLAC is lossless and files in FLAC can easily be changed to any other format. There are no issues with tagging, such as could be the case with WAV.

I prefer dbPowerAmp as it is also easier to use, for me, than EAC. I am not aware of any differences in sound quality between the two programs.

If you are of a mind to eventually use 24/96 files, it has been suggested to run your data through wired ethernet, rather than wireless. While there may not be any difference in sound quality, wireless is still subject to outside interference from other networks, cell phone towers and microwave ovens.

While HD space continues to get less expensive, always be aware that your HD WILL fail eventually. Make sure you keep secure back-ups. For me, I have found it best to use multiple smaller HDs in a case with lots of fans to keep them cool. Back-ups are multiple USB drives that only get used for back-up.

TomW16

« Reply #2 on: 17 Sep 2009, 08:32 pm »
Thanks for the feedback Wayne.  I am glad to hear that I am on the right track.  There is no use recreating the wheel when so many have done this before. 

I wasn't sure about how big the WAV tagging issue was but if FLAC has no compromises in sound quality and avoids the tagging challenges, then it is a no brainer.  As I get older, I am beginning to appreciate ease of use and if dbpoweramp is easier, great!

I am finishing my basement and I will install a cat 5e cable for wired ethernet.  This will avoid those wireless issues that you mentioned.

My server has 4 x 1 TB drives, 2 main and 2 back up.  Periodic back up with external USB drives is still good insurance in case the whole server decides to go down.

Thanks again for the feedback.
Tom

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #3 on: 17 Sep 2009, 08:40 pm »
Tom,
I'll ditto what Wayne said 100%.
Also, with your 4 x 1TB drives, with two of them being backups, it sounds like you're "there".
And no, technology hasn't improved on the EAC-FLAC-dbPoweramp-SB that I'm aware of.
Are you using RAID for the backups? Or just the good ol' copy your data to another drive method?

Sounds like it's time to enjoy the music.  :wink:

Bob

TomW16

« Reply #4 on: 17 Sep 2009, 09:59 pm »
Thanks Bob.  It sounds like I'm "good to go" with the dbpoweramp and FLAC setup.   :D

I looked into a RAID set up and thought that is exactly what I would do with 2 drives mirroring the other 2 drives.  The HP/MS Server software only says that the 2 other drives are "backups" so I can't say for certain that it is a true RAID setup but I hope so.  One of the reasons why I went with the HP Media Server was its ease of use so maybe they dumbed it down for people like me.  :wink:

It certainly reinforces the idea of periodic USB backups.

Now all I have to do is finish my basement (hopefully by Thanksgiving or at latest Christmas) and then I can enjoy the music  8)

Thanks again.

Tom

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 18 Sep 2009, 01:42 pm »
It sounds like I'm "good to go" with the dbpoweramp and FLAC setup.   :D
When you're ripping the disc through EAC, you are clicking [copy selected tracks] then [compressed], correct?

You're not using true RAID, but from my experience, I (now have) reservations about using RAID in some forms. I'd rather have what you've got .

Bob

Hebrew Hammer

• Industry Participant
  • www.Randall-K.com
« Reply #6 on: 18 Sep 2009, 02:37 pm »
Bob... we need to talk about the SqueezeBox.. lol

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 18 Sep 2009, 03:17 pm »
I've got a Bolder modded SB3 and a bone stock SB Duet.
You've got my number.  :wink:

Bob

TomW16

« Reply #8 on: 18 Sep 2009, 04:52 pm »
It sounds like I'm "good to go" with the dbpoweramp and FLAC setup.   :D
When you're ripping the disc through EAC, you are clicking [copy selected tracks] then [compressed], correct?

You're not using true RAID, but from my experience, I (now have) reservations about using RAID in some forms. I'd rather have what you've got .

Bob

Hi Bob,

I haven't done any ripping yet.  My main computer went down so I've got some time to figure this stuff out.  I was surfing the dbpoweramp site and noticed that they have a bundle with a Teac drive that is litteraly plug and play in that you put in a disc and it rips, tags and stores it for you automatically and then spits it out when it's done.  It's a bit pricey at $184 but the Teac drive they use is relatively expensive.  My original plan was to simply use my computer to rip and then transfer the files to the server rather than direct to server.  Any comments on either approach?

Thanks.
Tom

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 18 Sep 2009, 04:58 pm »
The bundle is a new one on me. Sounds like a lot of unnecessary "stuff" to me though.
I just use the good ol CD drive in the PC.

Bob

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #10 on: 19 Sep 2009, 11:38 am »
I'd love to find a reasonably priced, audiophile quality (like at the level of Bolder mods), idiot proof, extremely friendly, quiet, music server solution.

I'm envisioning something like a Duet with two boxes, one for the CD drive, CPU, OS, RAM, USB connections, and primary drive.  The 2nd has the backup drive (automatic backups).  Solid state drives (if bullet proof) and a USB port for flash drives for sharing would be nice.

The Duet remote and the CD drive would be the only only user interfaces (plus USB ports for internet/possible flash drives).  I just want to stick the CD in, pull it back out with done ripping, and have the system ask how/where I want to categorize the album.  Don't want/need a monitor or keyboard.

Is this too much to ask for in 2009?

firedog

« Reply #11 on: 19 Sep 2009, 04:10 pm »

Hi Bob,

I haven't done any ripping yet.  My main computer went down so I've got some time to figure this stuff out.  I was surfing the dbpoweramp site and noticed that they have a bundle with a Teac drive that is litteraly plug and play in that you put in a disc and it rips, tags and stores it for you automatically and then spits it out when it's done.  It's a bit pricey at $184 but the Teac drive they use is relatively expensive.  My original plan was to simply use my computer to rip and then transfer the files to the server rather than direct to server.  Any comments on either approach?

Thanks.
Tom
Tom - The TEAC deck in question with the automatic ripping is for use with a Windows Home Server PC only - i.e. the software only works with WHS.

It is a great solution (I have it) if you have a WHS server. Does bit perfect ripping, with automatic tagging, and writing to your music library folder. Definitely the best and most convenient solution for owners of a WHS system.

Your original post is about an HP media server which is a WHS unit. The WHS does backups, it isn't a RAID solution. However with 2 HD's it will do redundant back up of your media files, which is the main thing you'd be worried about, I think.

If one of you wants almost the same solution without using WHS, buy the TEAC drive from another vendor as a standalone item and dbpoweramp Reference software. "Reference" gives you all the "bit perfect" and autotagging options. One of the advantages of the "Reference" version is that you get a subscription to paid tagging databases such as AMG (allmusic.com) and you get more accurate tagging than with EAC or dbpoweramp standard. The only downside is that this method doesn't give you the "put in the CD and walk away" option that the WHS does.

BTW, see  http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=17274  for why they use the TEAC 224 drive. In short, they tested about 100 drives, and the TEAC 224 gave the best results with all the bit perfect options (including C2 pointers ) on. 

If one of you doesn't want or can't get the TEAC drive, get one that is capable of using C2 pointers. That lets you fully exploit the "bit perfect" capabilities of dbpoweramp Reference.
« Last Edit: 19 Sep 2009, 06:08 pm by firedog »

TomW16

« Reply #12 on: 21 Sep 2009, 01:48 pm »
Thanks for the reply firedog and sorry for the delay in my response.  My home computer is down so I am checking this at work.  (i.e. short reply). 

The automatic ripping with the TEAC drive is enticing but I wonder if simply using any CD burner would work with the Reference software?  I did read the TEAC advantages (less errors) but with the auto correction (or re-read) feature of dbpoweramp, I am unclear on why the TEAC drive is necessary if I simply went with the Reference software?

Thanks.

Tom

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 21 Sep 2009, 02:01 pm »
Not sure Tom. Maybe it's that "point of diminishing returns"?  :dunno:
I'm very happy with the driver built into my PC. It's been checked by the software and everybody seems to play well together, so I leave it alone.
Ignorance is bliss maybe?  :lol:

Bob

firedog

« Reply #14 on: 21 Sep 2009, 04:41 pm »

The automatic ripping with the TEAC drive is enticing but I wonder if simply using any CD burner would work with the Reference software?  I did read the TEAC advantages (less errors) but with the auto correction (or re-read) feature of dbpoweramp, I am unclear on why the TEAC drive is necessary if I simply went with the Reference software?

Tom

Hi Tom-

The TEAC isn't absolutely necessary. They simply found that even with their Reference software (which is what the TEAC is bundled with); the TEAC gave the best results-better than other decks, sometimes significantly so. Again, if you don't get a TEAC, make sure you get a drive that uses C2 pointers. Not all do and this function is one of the ones that ensures bit perfect rips.

Daedalus Audio

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.daedalusaudio.com
« Reply #15 on: 21 Sep 2009, 04:56 pm »
Tom, I've been getting more into the computer based this last year (this will be my second RMAF showing with such) couple of things I've found which are just my experiences no hard opinions   :wink:
1: apple lossless is lossy, stick to WAV, FLAC or AIFF
2: I had a real issue with read error on ripping, was driving me nuts! then someone on AC suggested  looking  into a different drive.. apparently all drives are not the same. in any case I bought a LaCie outboard drive, a bit spendy but it solved all my problems. nice thing is also the separation of power supply... I know that gets near the voodoo range but....
3: don't sell all your cd's unless you are confident you have bit perfect, uncompressed backups!

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 21 Sep 2009, 06:06 pm »
3: don't sell all your cd's unless you are confident you have bit perfect, uncompressed backups!
If your phone rings, check the caller id before you pick it up.
If it says "RIAA", then it's time to find a new house, and a new identity.

Just trying to help.  :wink:

Bob

TomW16

« Reply #17 on: 21 Sep 2009, 07:10 pm »
Thanks for the feedback regarding drives Daedalus.  I didn't even know about C2 pointers until I began to investigate ripping CDs.  If I purchase a drive, it will definitely have C2 pointing capabilities.  In fact, if I have to buy anything, the TEAC bundle is the way to go since it is plug and play. 

I am not going with any lossy format.  In fact, I was hesitant to go with FLAC as I had heard that WAV were higher quality, although I don't pretend to understand the differences when they are both suppossed to be bit perfect.  I haven't heard any resistance to FLAC here so the fact that FLAC has no tagging issues like WAV, I'll go with FLAC for the convenience.

I am keeping all of my CDs so no worries about strange telephone calls.

Thanks,
Tom