Best strategy for hooking up speakers

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
Best strategy for hooking up speakers
« on: 30 Dec 2008, 04:09 pm »
I tried posting this question in another circle but got no replies. Since Jim just told me my ST RTs are shipping, I figured it would be okay to ask for some advice here instead.

So here goes...

I've read that some tube amps have a home theater bypass, and that this feature allows an owner to toggle between two channel analog and multichannel digital (home theater) source material while using the same set of speakers.

I was wondering if there was a easily way to do this without the built-in bypass? I have a Yamaha AVR I use for DVD playback but recently added an Eico ST-70 for music listening. I'm using the Yamaha as a preamp with three Outlaw monoblocks. For the Eico, I'm using the on-board amplification (35 watts per channel).

Can I set up some type of A/B switch that would allow me to switch easily between the Yamaha (multichannel) and Eico (2 channel)? At the moment, I have separate cable runs from each device and plug/unplug the left and right channels whenever I want to listen to the Eico. I don't suppose it's as easy as doubling up the connection on the L/R channels.

I also don't want to risk damaging my shiny new STs when they arrive.  :wink:

Steve

fsimms

Re: Best strategy for hooking up speakers
« Reply #1 on: 30 Dec 2008, 05:01 pm »
I use one and it has worked very well for a few years.  I don't remember where I got it :(  The main thing is to get a break before make switch.  It needs to break the connection to the amp before it makes a new connection to the other amp.  Make sure they talk about switching amps in the write up for the switch box.

Bob

fsimms

Re: Best strategy for hooking up speakers
« Reply #3 on: 31 Dec 2008, 03:28 pm »
Was it something like this Niles DPS-1?

It is very much like it, but it is the Russound.

http://www.russound.com/ab2.htm