Stereovox HDXV digital cable comparison

Fathom7

« Reply #20 on: 17 Nov 2003, 09:08 pm »
Mad Dog et. al:

I'm glad to hear someone is going to review the cable formally  8) .  As noted in an earlier post in a different thread, these old ears and not especially trained but I've taken the time to check out several digital cables in my system :wink: .  I have two spots for them so the review aspects are a bit challenging.  I had a 0.5 M Onix Grand Master between my jitter-box and DAC for a time.  In my system I MUCH preferred it to the Illuminations D60 :!:  :!: .  (Did I say MUCH -- it's an understatement).  Presently I have an Acoustic Zen MC2 in there and I don't notice much difference :? .  BUT -- there were so many changes to my system at the same time -- individual contributions are difficult to pick out.  The HDXV I have in my system at present runs from the CD player to the DAC (yet another change coming I just got a Sony combo player (SACD and CD) that goes into the system soon :? .  Bottom line is I'll fit in the various digitals is different places in my humble system (I like the HDXV at present) and see what shakes.  Were I classically trained ear-wise I'd offer out a formal review :oops: , but I will toss in my opines just to keep it interesting.  Synergy is a wonderful thing.  Thus far, I really liked the Onix where it was and a nasty old Cardas Lightning from the CD player  :) but there's break-in ahead on some of the cables (including the IC's from the DAC to the amp which are relatively new as well).  Thanks to all for doing the heavy lifting on this -- I've got all the cables I need right now  :o so I won't gain the most from the output but will pay close attention.

F7

Hantra

« Reply #21 on: 17 Nov 2003, 09:45 pm »
While I have heard Audience, the higher end Cardas and Kimber digital products, I won't pay retail for any of these cables. I would pay the current retail for the Stereovox.

T:  

I still have an Audience AU24 digital that I am trying to sell, and I can attest to the fact that my decision has nothing to do with price.  The AU24 at $249 is a hell of a digital cable.  Even at retail.  Compared to the others I have tried, it beats them all.  EXCEPT the HDXV.

I think the bottom line is this:

If you are looking for the safest way to transfer the bits with the least harm, IMO, the Stereovox is the one regardless of price.  If you think it's "thin", "thick", "slow", or whatever, I'd be looking elsewhere for the culprit.  

B

Mad DOg

« Reply #22 on: 17 Nov 2003, 10:23 pm »
Quote from: Fathom7
...Synergy is a wonderful thing...

i think you hit the nail right on it's head...system synergy...what works in my system may not work in anyone else's...

the other thing that plays a huge part is personal preference...some folks like the sound of tubes while other like the sound of solid state..

i happen to like a sound that is smooth, seductive and has detail that doesn't call alot of attention to itself and isn't overemphasized...

some cars are fast and make it a point to let you know by jarring every bone in your body on every pebble on the road while others lull you to sleep never letting on that it's doing 100+ mph...

bottom line is you need to try these out for yourself and determine which synergizes w/ your preferences and system best...happy listening...:)

Hantra

« Reply #23 on: 17 Nov 2003, 10:29 pm »
i think you hit the nail right on it's head...system synergy...what works in my system may not work in anyone else's...

I totally believe in synergy as well. . .

I also can think of probably at least 30+ people that I have read posts by who have had the polar opposite experience with the cable.

And those of us who post constantly on these crazy forums are a VERY small cross-section of audiophiles.  Of the _______ of HDXV that Chris has sold to date, you are the first I have heard of to return it.

That is why I suggest looking elsewhere to find something that may be causing what you experience. .

L8r,

b

Mad DOg

« Reply #24 on: 17 Nov 2003, 10:37 pm »
Quote from: Hantra
...Of the _______ of HDXV that Chris has sold to date, you are the first I have heard of to return it...

well, if Viggen returns it, it'll be 2 out of ______ ;)

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #25 on: 17 Nov 2003, 10:40 pm »
Just got my cable today...

Any bets on which way I will go?

:o

Mad DOg

« Reply #26 on: 17 Nov 2003, 10:46 pm »
Quote from: Hantra
..That is why I suggest looking elsewhere to find something that may be causing what you experience...

nah, i like the musical experience that i get w/ my existing cable in the system...it's not like the HDXV sucks dookie like my Rat Shack digital coax... :lol:

i'll use another analogy...in my system both cables are like ice cream...both enjoyably yummy! :D but one due to personal preference and/or system synergy is more like a very high quality vanilla ice cream, while the other is like pralines and cream...still uses a vanilla based ice cream but there's other goodies i like mixed in as well. to someone who might not be a fan of pralines or caramel, the vanilla will sound more desirable!

b, i'm glad you found your pralines and cream...:)

Mad DOg

« Reply #27 on: 17 Nov 2003, 10:49 pm »
Quote from: zybar
Just got my cable today...

Any bets on which way I will go?

i'll bet you pick the one you enjoy most in your system...;)

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #28 on: 17 Nov 2003, 10:51 pm »
You are CORRECT sir!!

:D

gary

« Reply #29 on: 18 Nov 2003, 01:47 am »
Well, Mad Dog was nice enough to have me over last night to check out his system(s). We did A/B the Stereovox & Onix digital cables, and I'm not going to offer a full review (not enough time listening, didn't have my reference cds with me, etc.) but I will say that my opinions are pretty much in line with what MD has already posted. And I probably shouldn't say this as I'm sure it will draw some flames, but if I were to review the cable, I think I'd be much less positive about it than he's been. Maybe it was "system synergy", maybe it's just not fair to compare it to what should be a $600 cable, I don't know. But the HDVX clearly wasn't in the same ballpark.

I have no idea how a digital cable can make this kind of difference (I can assure you I didn't think I'd hear any difference at all), but the Onix clearly does.

-Gary

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #30 on: 18 Nov 2003, 01:55 am »
I will be comparing the HDVX to my reference (which the $500 Argent Audio digital ic).

I really want the HDVX to be better (so I can put some much needed cash in my bank account), so I am going in with open eyes and ears.

I realize that price doesn't mean something is good or bad...but at the same time, not every "cheap" piece is a giant killer and not every "expensive" piece is over-priced and not worth what it costs.

GW

Mad DOg

« Reply #31 on: 18 Nov 2003, 02:21 am »
...I really want the HDXV to be better (so I can put some much needed cash in my bank account), so I am going in with open eyes and ears...

i, too, wanted the HDXV to be better as well...heck, u won't even be able to get an Onix GM in the very near future so it'd have been great to find an affordable alternative that would be at or near the same level...

...I realize that price doesn't mean something is good or bad...but at the same time, not every "cheap" piece is a giant killer and not every "expensive" piece is over-priced and not worth what it costs.

totally agree...very well said...

i'll be waiting to hear your impressions on the HDXV

stereovox

• http://www.stereovox.com
XV XV XV! ;-)
« Reply #32 on: 18 Nov 2003, 05:08 am »
Hi Guys!

I'm enjoying reading the various viewpoints and experiences you're having with the HDXV ... if there's one thing that always seems constant in this business it's that no single product is universally perfect for every system. I'll never argue about a person's experience - I always believe that empirical data-gathering and interpretation is fundamentally the most important metering method we can use to understand and appreciate the finer points of our noble hobby.

But I will deem to take issue with one little thing and I hope you'll humor me on this: The product is named HDXV ... not VX. I had considered calling it the HDVX initially, but associations with deadly VX nerve-gas soon popped into my head  :o  and I thought it was probably a bad idea.

Funny enough - in retrospect  :idea:  it was probably a good idea, as it seems to be a mistake that is made more often than it isn't!  :lol:

In any event, I thought I'd chime in and point it out.

Thanks!
:beer:

Cheers!

Chris Sommovigo

Mad DOg

Re: XV XV XV! ;-)
« Reply #33 on: 18 Nov 2003, 07:38 am »
Quote from: stereovox
But I will deem to take issue with one little thing and I hope you'll humor me on this: The product is named HDXV ... not VX.

Hello Chris,

First off, thanks making an excellent affordable cable! Good stuff indeed...:D

Secondly, my apologies for calling the HDXV the wrong name!!!  :oops:

viggen

« Reply #34 on: 18 Nov 2003, 08:15 am »
I was wondering why I initially called the cable "HDVX". It just rolled off the tongue so smootly... its a high definition nerve agent. NO WONDER!!

Lak

« Reply #35 on: 18 Nov 2003, 10:51 am »
:oops: Sorry...I copied and pasted from one of the above posts, my mistake  :o

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #36 on: 18 Nov 2003, 02:25 pm »
Sorry Chris...

From now on, HDXV.

GW

stereovox

• http://www.stereovox.com
« Reply #37 on: 18 Nov 2003, 03:09 pm »
Thanks guys!

:mrgreen:

I'm looking forward to reading more about your experiences with the HDXV, pleasant and otherwise  :wink:

:beer:

Cheers!

Chris

Lak

« Reply #38 on: 20 Nov 2003, 03:25 am »
I mean no disrespect to anyone or to any manufactures.  :oops:
I’ve been following this thread (and many others...good job guys). I’ve asked the question “how does the Stereovox HDXV Digital cable compare to the i2Digital X-60 designed by Chris Sommovigo”. I guess none of you own the i2, or don’t care to post about it.
To make a long story short, since I also have a tube system I decided to listen to a .5/M Omix Grand Master Digital Cable which arrived today, (yep that’s correct Mad DOg, your post got my attention)!
Out of the box, new, the Grand Master sounded better than the i2. I clearly heard the points Mad DOg was making about the Grand Master, and I think his comments about the Grand Master are correct.
I do not know how the HDXV sounds, since I’ve never heard it. Anyone want to let me borrow one?
One day in the near further I’ll post my componenty on Audiocircle. If you’re interested my system and feedback can be viewed at: http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vstrt&1041994460
Best regards...
Lak

Mad DOg

« Reply #39 on: 20 Nov 2003, 03:38 am »
Quote from: Lak
...I guess none of you own the i2, or don’t care to post about it...

Lak,

I haven't tried or heard the i2...sorry...