Poll

Which Cord is for You? What Character Sound Do You Prefer?

Which Cord is For You?
0 (0%)
What Type Of Presenatation Do You Prefer?
1 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Black Sand Silver Reference MKIV vs. Jena Labs V1 Power Cord

earlmarc

I have had more time on the Jena Labs V1 power cord both on the SAS Audio Labs 10A preamplifier and the Dussun V8i integrated amplifier. I have had the V1 power cord for approximately 10 days. IMHO I believe the cord to be over the break-in process.

Comparing the V1 to the Silver Ref. required me to switch the the cords back and forth many times on various tracks I'm familiar with until I could identify differences.

First off, both cords are the best I've heard regardless of price. Each has a distinct character. The Jena Labs V1 provides better neutrality, clarity, and a cleaner background. The Black Sand Silver Ref. offers a fuller midrange with a touch more air and naturalness.

I recently purchased a new CD, "Charlie, Last Name Wilson", which features Charlie Wilson's preeminent tenor vocals. Charlie Wilson was the former lead singer of "The Gap Band". This CD highlights the midrange magic of Charlie's voice from songs, "No Words", "My Guarantee", "Charlie, Last Name Wilson", and "Cry No More" to name a few.

The Black Sand Silver Ref. and Jena Labs V1 power cord were used on the Dussun V8i as an integrated primarily. This allowed me to switch the cords in and out easily. Speakers and cables were Magnepan MG1.6QR with Mye Stands and SilverFi Elixir and Phyrigian ICs and SilverFi Topkapi SCs. Power conditioning was a Sound Application XE12 and power outlet. Room treatment was Eighth Nerve Response series. Digital source was a Pioneer PDR-609 CD recorder.

The Jena Labs V1 power cord is superior to the Black Sand Silver Ref. with clarity and inner resolution. Images are better outlined with more distinct spatial seperation. The Jena Labs V1 offers excellent coherency from top to bottom with precise neutrality. Extensions is also excellent from top to bottom, exceeding the Black Sand. Tonality is sweet and rich. The V1 hold nothing back and seems an open window to the source. Honestly, I can't find any faults with the V1 power cord. Steve, from SAS, sought a cord that offers complete neutrailty as a "straight line concept" to the source with the V1. He certainly has accomplished his goal!

The Black Sand Silver Ref. MKIV is not far behind the V1 with respect to clarity and inner resolution. The midrange of the Black Sand Silver Ref. is set back further than the more forward and open midrange of the Jena Labs V1. So comparatively, the Silver Ref. doesn't have that "reach out and touch you" presentation. The Silver Ref. does offer a little more fullness and air that compensates for its lack of resolution compared to the V1. This allows it to open and spread itself in a natural and pleasing manner. Not completely neutral but pleasing nonetheless. More open from an airy perspective. The Silver Ref. is also a quiet cord that is equally coherent from top to bottom with excellent extension. That magic and sprinkle dust that some has used to describe the Silver Ref. comes IMHO in the areas of PRAT. An invigorating flavor that makes the Silver Ref. so special. The Jena Labs V1 doesn't have a magical PRAT. It is rather neutral and truer to the source.

Either of the cords would work very well in any system. I prefer the Jena Labs V1, however, I love the Black Sand Silver Ref. as well and would not part with them. If you have not heard either of these cords, you should at least give them a try. I give them both my highest recommendation!!!

earlmarc

Here is a thread started over at the asylum on the Jena Labs V1 basic:

www.audioasylum.com/audio/cables/messages/121565.html

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Marcus....What do the Jena cord's retail for ? Thanks.......Chris

earlmarc

The Basic 6ft V1 power cord retails for $175.00 through SAS Audio Labs.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
The Basic 6ft V1 power cord retails for $175.00 through SAS Audio Labs.
Less than I thought it would be.... :o
Thanks...

Steve

A correction. The "V" should be called the "Basic" model. My error and responsibility. (It is a long story.)

Sorry about that Earlmarc.  :)

The price is a pleasant surprise.
« Last Edit: 9 Jul 2006, 11:52 am by Steve »

Steve

Just wanted to mention the "Basic" power cord will be an option for the 10A and standard for the rest of my products.