Channel Imbalance in LP

mysticaldodo

Channel Imbalance in LP
« on: 1 Feb 2006, 03:23 am »
I've notice for the longest time that when playing LPs (various) most of the music seems to be focus on the left meaning I hear the singer, drums and others visualise on the left of the stage. There is sound coming from the right speaker like guitar or misc instruments but never the voice and main instruments. It seems like an imbalance and when I compare using channel balance I find the right channel tad softer then the left. This worries me as the newer LPs also has this problem. I did a comparison on the cd setup and the singer/ band is in the centre of the stage from the few cds I've checked out so I'm sure somethings off with my LP setup. My amps not at fault as I've used 2 amps and they exhibit the same problem.

In any case, do you think I should suspect the;

a) phono stage (Clear Audio Basic)
b) Goldring 1.2 (I suppose the catridge, though its connection is not loose)

I have nothing else to compare with and will have to haul my gear back to the dealer to have it checked out :(

TheChairGuy

Channel Imbalance in LP
« Reply #1 on: 1 Feb 2006, 05:03 am »
mysticaldodo,

Before you suspect any hardware issues...do you know f your cartridge is set up and aligned correctly in the headshell?  I think the Goldring's all use pretty radical van den hul stylus shapes...making them hard as hell to seat right in the headshell.

Azimuth (that is, left/right as it centers in your headshell), especially with the van den hul shapes, is very time consuming (but, very worthwhile) to get right. I've found it waaay more imporant than VTA that everyone likes to jawbone about.  Of course, dialing in the right tracking force and anti- skating is imporant, too...but I don't think that would be the 'cause of your 'weird' soundstaging. Ellipticals are way easier to get right....the more extreme the shape, the more extreme the futzing with it.  But, once  you have it it's done (thank goodness)

Try re-setting your cartridge so that it tracks right...do a search on cartridge azimuth on the web to make sure you understand it.  A very thin mirror under your cantilever often times helps you eyeball that your cartridge bottom is flush up against it.  

Let us know if that does the trick - before you haul your gear back to the dealer.  If they do free set up for you, than by all means have them jiggle with it if you trust them to do it right.

I have a Fritz-Geiger shape (quite similar to van den hul) on my Ortofon and it took 30 minutes to get it to sound just right...that is, the chanlles in balance to my ears (and eyes).

meby

Channel Imbalance in LP
« Reply #2 on: 1 Feb 2006, 05:12 am »
Hifi News test record might help in you setup.  Also do you have a mirrored proteactor?  Sounds to me like your allignment is not right.

mysticaldodo

Channel Imbalance in LP
« Reply #3 on: 1 Feb 2006, 08:23 am »
I'll see what I can do about it but most probably letting them align for me as I plan to change the catridge to something better too. I've no idea how to check my catridge alignment though in the first place, all Goldring ever did was supplied a piece of paper that you put on the platter and see that the catridge aligns to the vertical lines.

I did knock and move the turn table several times this week (never did any listening). I wonder if that can affect the catridge alignment.  :?

andyr

Channel Imbalance in LP
« Reply #4 on: 1 Feb 2006, 10:34 am »
Quote from: mysticaldodo
I'll see what I can do about it but most probably letting them align for me as I plan to change the catridge to something better too. I've no idea how to check my catridge alignment though in the first place, all Goldring ever did was supplied a piece of paper that you put on the platter and see that the catridge aligns to the vertical lines.

I did knock and move the turn table several times this week (never did any listening). I wonder if that can affect the catridge alignment.  :?
dodo,

If you want to have a vinyl playback system but always "let them align for me" then I suggest you are never going to have much satisfaction - best go and buy a CD player.

Playing vinyl means YOU are in control, YOU are setting it up, YOU are tweaking it.

Or, you have to have a fat wallet and a very handy techo to visit your house and fix things.

If you don't have a fat wallet and a handy techo, the first thing you need to do is buy an alignment protractor.

Regards,

Andy

Regards,

Andy

TheChairGuy

Channel Imbalance in LP
« Reply #5 on: 2 Feb 2006, 05:40 pm »
mysticaldodo,

I concur with my Aussie bud Andy on this one, at minimal, an alignment protractor might be in order for you.

I've had a decent TT since I was 16, now I'm 43, but didn't fiddle with it much until the last 6 months.  I just wasn't into it...now vinyl is my better/more enjoyable front end  :)

I spent $4500 on my digital front end, and get more satisfaction from $600+ in TT and cartridge  :!:  

So, the moral is - it is worth twiddling a bit for your ultimate satisfaction.  Don't wait 27 years like me to get to it.  Nothing about tweeking is strenuous, nor do you need physicist brains to do it...it just take a bit of time and attention.   Pretty much once you dial everything in, it's just time to enjoy it - much like CD (except you get up every 20 mintes to change music sides   :( )

ricmon

Channel Imbalance in LP
« Reply #6 on: 2 Feb 2006, 06:42 pm »
Quote from: andyr
dodo,

If you want to have a vinyl playback system but always "let them align for me" then I suggest you are never going to have much satisfaction - best go and buy a CD player.

Playing vinyl means YOU are in control, YOU are setting it up, YOU are tweaking it.

Or, you have to have a fat wallet and a very handy techo to visit your house and fix things.

If you don't have a fat wallet and a handy techo, the first thing you need to do is buy an alignment protractor.

Regards,

Andy

Regards,

Andy

Dude lighten up.  Every body does not have the same aptitude for this stuff as YOU.

Russell Dawkins

Channel Imbalance in LP
« Reply #7 on: 2 Feb 2006, 07:14 pm »
It sounds like your cartridge may be wrongly connected. I'd take the whole turntable to a good store and have the tech double check that the cartridge is wired to the arm correctly - in fact, check the wiring all the way to the RCAs coming out of the unit.
If you have access to a test disc that has mono in and out of phase and so on, that would be the logical first step. Then at least you could go to the store with specific information.