Goldring 1042 versus Grado Platinum

mysticaldodo

« on: 31 Jan 2006, 05:59 pm »
Any advice for me? :)

I want to upgrade my catridge to something better as even my cdp is bettering my turntable in some aspects. I want to keep the Goldring for at least a year before deciding whether to upgrade the table.

I have an option between the Grado Platinum Statement or Goldring 1042. Any opinons on both these catridges? I would have better support with the Goldring catridge as I bought the turntable from them and I live near them so I can go back to them easily if any unforeseen problems crop up but this is just a minor bonus. Sound quality is the main priority. Basically I want something that is more detailed and better soundstaging and openess without being overly warm :D

My rig is.....Goldring 1.2->Clearaudio Basic->Cambridge Azur 640A V2->EPOS ELS 3/ Grado RS-1/ HD 650 Zu Mobious

Thx :)

WEEZ

« Reply #1 on: 31 Jan 2006, 06:33 pm »
I have not heard the Goldring; but I have heard the Grado Platinum. It is wonderful. A few caveats:

If your 'table is a derivitive of the Rega P2 (which I believe it is) you might not have the motor shielding that Grados require. You could get some hum.

As much as I like Grado cartridges- in your case I would reccomend a Dynavector 10X5. Great sound and a good match with your 'table and arm.

Have fun,

WEEZ

mysticaldodo

« Reply #2 on: 1 Feb 2006, 03:13 am »
Thx

You've heard of the Goldring 1.2 and Dynavector together?  :idea: