Your experience with static guns?

mysticaldodo

« on: 27 Jan 2006, 06:37 am »
I'm looking to add some stuff to my vinyl gear. I just bought a Audio Technica stylus cleaner (never cleaned it!) and a bubble level.

Many dealers have recommended me to get a static gun (even if they themselves don't sell any ). May I post a thread here inquiring about your experience with such a thing? The reason gave to me is the vinyl will be quieter due to less static There is a little to moderate background noise on my vinyl playback depending on the lp.

Other then using the static gun on the vinyl itself do I need to do this on the turntable? How about the catridge? Or must I use a separate catridge demagnitizer (I read this in a book but have no idea what this is )

I'm using a Goldring 1.2 with the stock Elecktra catridge coupled with Clearaudio Basic Phonostage. Thx  :D

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #1 on: 27 Jan 2006, 09:54 am »
Seems that static guns are getting hard to find. Here's one (scroll down)

http://www.mapleshaderecords.com/audioproducts/cdtreatments.php

andyr

Re: Your experience with static guns?
« Reply #2 on: 29 Jan 2006, 10:30 am »
Quote from: mysticaldodo
I'm looking to add some stuff to my vinyl gear. I just bought a Audio Technica stylus cleaner (never cleaned it!) and a bubble level. ...
Hi dodo,

Don't know how the AT stylus cleaner works but a stylus cleaner is an essential tool for LP listening.

For many years I had a 9v-battery-driven vibrating Ortofon stylus cleaner (you put this onto the platter, wet its brush with some stylus-cleaner fluid and lowered the stylus onto the brush, then switched it on so it vibrated for a minute ... and shook the crud off the stylus!).

Then I switched to an Onzow "ZeroDust" - which I think is better.  This is, like, a hemisphere of some magic gel in a little plastic case ... you carefully lift it up under the cartridge so the stylus sinks into the gel; evidently, the surface tension of this gel sucks the crud off the stylus!  Amazing!  :o

A level is essential for making sure the platter and the armboard are level but I use the little round bubble level on my armboard.  On the platter I use a 10" long "normal" spirit level - I put this on the platter just next to the spindle and measure twice (at right angles).  The long level is more accurate than just putting the bubble level on one spot on the platter.

... Many dealers have recommended me to get a static gun (even if they themselves don't sell any ). May I post a thread here inquiring about your experience with such a thing? The reason gave to me is the vinyl will be quieter due to less static ...

To my way of thinking, a static gun is fixing a problem which you should've eliminated beforehand.  Yes, many people use a Milty Zerostat gun to get rid of static each time they play an LP - you just put the nozzle near the LP's surface and press the trigger.

I, on the other hand, use Milty Permostat as the first part of my LP cleaning regime - this eliminates static from the vinyl and so far (20 years later) it's never come back!   :)   Static doesn't just spoil your listening with "clicks and pops" ... it also attracts dust into the grooves - a BAAD thing!   :nono:

And no, you don't generally do it to the turntable!

... How about the cartridge? Or must I use a separate cartridge demagnetizer (I read this in a book but have no idea what this is ). ...

No, you don't use a Zerostat on the cartridge but some people swear by using a cartridge demagnetiser if you have a Moving Coil cartridge.  And other people say this is a nono!!   :?  

You should really go by the recommendations of your cartridge manufacturer ... however, ABSOLUTELY, if you have a MOVING MAGNET cartridge, you NEVER use a demagnetiser.  It will destroy the cartridge!    :o  

Another thing you can do which many people swear helps your system - even if you have an MM cartridge - is use the Cardas Sweep Record Mk 1.  This has some sweep tones from infrasonic to ultrasonic and is supposed to add a "clarity" to your playback if used, typically, once a week.

Now, one device which you absolutely MUST get if you're into vinyl is a Record Cleaning Machine (RCM).  This is a wet-cleaning device which then sucks the LP dry - removing all the crud with the liquid.  I use a Nitty Gritty ... but there are several others.

This is the ONLY way to clean LPs if you want lasting enjoyment from them.  Yes it costs "a lot of LPs" but you are insuring your stock will deliver good sound for a long time.

Regards,

Andy