Great resource - very fair prices

TheChairGuy

« on: 1 Dec 2005, 03:56 am »
www.TurntableBasics.com

Excellent prices on record liners (sold by eaches, not by 25/50 or 100 packs  :) ) and other things.  $4.00 FLAT shipping fee, too (looks like any amount is same ship fee).

Never heard of them before a couple night ago - just turned up in a search.

Bought some record liners, carbon fibre brush (I think I threw out my old one  :( ) and some nifty silicone damping fluid for my new (hopefully) upgrade experiment...a homebrew tonearm damping trough.  A little aluminum foil goes a long way to getting you there...not pretty like KAB's and other tonearms that have them as standard, but it should work well.

Anything to improve the lightweight sounding bass will help......this is where I feel vinyl is still very seriously deficient to my CD playback right now. The best bass I ever heard on a TT (or any front end, for that matter) was a Townshend Rock 18 years ago.....but that trough was located at the end of the headshell and damped both headshell and tonearm.  This is ideal, but difficult to implement in a homebrew version :roll:

alpha_03

« Reply #1 on: 21 Jan 2006, 06:22 am »
Howdy Chair Guy,

I dont know what cart. your using and what speakers ect. you have, but my Thorens and Shure Ultra 500 / Grado carts have far better bass then most CDP's I have heard and it nearly equals my YBA CDP, sometimes it's even better. I feel the Thoren's bass is a bit more accurate and deeper then the YBA at times- maybe a tad quicker, but it largely depends on the recordings- all be it the YBA over all wins to my ears.

What really amazes me is that I can shake the pictures on the walls and the Thorens remains rock solid, but then at nearly 50lbs I guess it should.

My only complaint concerning vinyl is the cleaning and the occational snap, crackle, pop that is unavoidable at times.

I have a TD-318 MKIII Black Laquer version and I leave the dust cover off when in use. I have custom speakers, using vifa mids, dynaudio tweeters, & focal mid-bass drivers & twin 15"@80Hz .

randytsuch

Re: Great resource - very fair prices
« Reply #2 on: 21 Jan 2006, 07:46 am »
Quote from: TheChairGuy
www.TurntableBasics.com

Excellent prices on record liners (sold by eaches, not by 25/50 or 100 packs  :) ) and other things.  $4.00 FLAT shipping fee, too (looks like any amount is same ship fee).

Never heard of them before a couple night ago - just turned up in a search.

Bought some record liners, carbon fibre brush (I think I threw out my old one  :( ) and some nifty silicone damping fluid for my new (hopefully) upgrade experiment...a homebrew tonearm damping trough.  A little aluminum foil goes  ...

They make a nice mirror protractor.
The mirror part helps to line things up.  I used it with a laser level, which helped even more.

Randy

TheChairGuy

« Reply #3 on: 21 Jan 2006, 05:01 pm »
alpha,

It was the Ortofon X5-MC that was bass shy....changing over to the AT440ml brought back to bass weight.  Thank goodness  :)