Dirac did not work for my taste.

dallaire1

Dirac did not work for my taste.
« on: 30 May 2021, 09:23 pm »
Hello all,
New to the forum here and just got my system up and running a couple months ago.
NAD MASTER SERIES M33
SPATIAL AUDIO M3 MAINS
DANNY'S OB SUBS KIT 4 LEFT AND RIGHT ARE ON THE WAY.

So I have been playing with Dirac-Live 3 that came as a feature on the M33 source unit. I have spent numerous hours measuring and re measuring with different image settings and speaker placement. I am still in the middle of the essential break in period with the M3's and have noticed after about 40 hours things are seeming to really smooth out sonically.

My first attempts with Dirac I thought at the time seamed to make an improvement, at least I thought ? Switched ON and  OFF often for the last couple months with 5 different calibration files stored on the M33. I was kind of bummed out that this was what I was pretty much going to end up with, I thought. So my wife say's "turn Dirac off and lets give it listen. I couldn't believe it was the same speaker I had originally taken out of the box ! Upon getting the speakers (NO BREAK IN) they did not impress me too much so I thought "lets get Dirac set up". After calibration I thought well that's an improvement, not so edgy and more relaxed. Now having come back with ample break in time, I defeated the Dirac-Live and was blown away !!! the wife said "oh my God, that sounds incredible"!

After bouncing a couple idea's off Clayton and Danny regarding the subs/mains and the use of Dirac, they both advised to "try" it" in the low range only, 200hz and listen to it. Danny noting he would not consider using it and that there is "no substitute for room treatment". I could not agree more !

Anyway, that is my personal experience with Dirac-Live 3
Thanks

mick wolfe

Re: Dirac did not work for my taste.
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2021, 04:08 pm »
"no substitute for room treatment".....I'll second that.

GaryPC

Re: Dirac did not work for my taste.
« Reply #2 on: 15 Jun 2021, 06:26 am »
I’m setting up a system with MiniDSP SHD Dirac and will add basic room treatments and can report back once I have results, but in a carefully setup Dirac listening test with Magnepan 3.7i’s last month the soundstage was much improved with Dirac.  Instruments jumped into their specific locations.  This was therefore not a low frequency improvement, but the lows are where I expect the most improvement?