Hello World!

emonkey

Hello World!
« on: 16 Aug 2017, 10:51 pm »
I am both a headphone and speaker enthusiast.  Currently, I am looking for an amp that I can pair with my Martin Logan EM ESL speakers.  I have four options to consider:  all solid state, tube pre, solid state power,  solid state pre, tube power, or all tube.  I'll be looking through the forums to find answers to my questions. 

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Hello World!
« Reply #1 on: 16 Aug 2017, 10:54 pm »
Welcome Emonkey :thumb:
No integrated?

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2 on: 16 Aug 2017, 11:05 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC emonkey  :thumb:  Handsome portrait.  :wink:

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 17 Aug 2017, 12:26 am »
Welcome to AC!

JakeJ

« Reply #4 on: 17 Aug 2017, 12:57 am »
Welcome to AC, emonkey!

I vote all tube.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #5 on: 17 Aug 2017, 01:45 pm »
Welcome.  I've gone both ways, so my summary of tubes versus solid state:

Pure solid state - easier to live with (safe to leave on, typically uses less power/doesn't heat up the room)

Tube pre/solid state power - tubes last longer in preamps and can provide palpability

Solid state pre/tube power - an unusual combo, usually found in integrated amps, low damping factor of tube power can cause bass bloat

Pure tube - generally lower power output, full potential for palpability, full tube rolling options to experiment with

I've heard tube palpability, but have never able to achieve it at home.  On the other hand it can be too much of a good thing (exaggerated euphoric warmth, syrup, bass bloat, treble emphasis).  Tube rolling can quickly become confusing and expensive, but allows for more listener involvement.  Tube power must be carefully matched to the given speakers to avoid impedance mismatching and bass bloat (uncontrolled/loose/excessive bass).  If you're new at all this, best to avoid tubes or start out with a tube integrated and audition with your speakers.