Phil A

Re: BDP-3
« Reply #100 on: 9 Mar 2017, 08:19 pm »
Chris,

Can the MPad app still control BDP-3?
Ships with Moose or Nutty Nadim?

Per James' reply number 77, the 64 bit software is a way off:

"Hi Marius

Nothing revolutionary at all - just everything is much faster ( Ex start up is less than 30 seconds) due to the much more powerful CPU and Chris has new software that will be at least a year away (NN) that can benefit from 64 bit.  The extra power also allows us to develop more programs in the future as these additions require more and more horse power.

Kind of like what occurred when you went from your BDP-1 to your BDP-2

james"

XMAN

« Reply #101 on: 9 Mar 2017, 09:06 pm »
Any idea on BDP2 upgrade cost?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #102 on: 9 Mar 2017, 09:28 pm »
Chris,

Can the MPad app still control BDP-3?
Ships with Moose or Nutty Nadim?

Hi

Yes I have used it with no issues.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #103 on: 9 Mar 2017, 09:30 pm »
Any idea on BDP2 upgrade cost?

The bean counters have not looked at it yet but I expect about $1000 to $1200.

james

XMAN

« Reply #104 on: 10 Mar 2017, 12:32 am »
What is Nutty Nadim?

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #105 on: 10 Mar 2017, 12:55 am »
isn't that what Chris is calling the next BDP OS? :scratch:

Phil A

« Reply #106 on: 10 Mar 2017, 02:05 am »
What is Nutty Nadim?

See James' Post No. 62

"Quote from: plurn on 25 Feb 2017, 05:07 am
according to the soundandvision news post "A follow-up to its BDP-2, the BDP-3 features a “lightning fast” Intel processor, 8 gigabytes of RAM for speed when navigating large digital libraries":

The current manic moose system seems to be 32 bit with a 32 bit mpd daemon. Which would limit the ability to use all of the 8 gigabytes of RAM on the BPD-3. Not that 8 gigabytes is really needed for the BDP-3, but would the BDP-3 be getting a 64 bit version of manic moose to be able to efficiently use all of that memory?

I expect it does not matter either way as even about 4 gigabytes of usable memory is heaps if you stayed with a 32 bit system, and staying at 32 bit might make development for all the different hardware variants easier."

"Hi plurn

Yes Chris is looking at software that would make use of the 64 Bit system in the future  - I think he is calling it Nutty Narwhal.

james"

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #107 on: 10 Mar 2017, 02:15 am »
Close, but I think he means nutty narwhal (S3.XX), the unicorn of canada's north and it has no ETA. We want to work on manic moose some more as there is a 50/50 chance the BDP-1 platform won't see nutty narwhal support and we'd like to bring the dashboard v2 originally planned for nutty narwhal to BDP-1 owners.  Dashboard v2 for those not aware is a new method of browsing the library that is integrated into, well the dashboard. Also there could be a side project to bring Roon Core to the BDP-3, which would further delay nutty narwhal.

Phil A

« Reply #108 on: 10 Mar 2017, 02:22 am »
the unicorn of canada's north and it has no ETA.

Thanks for clarifying what the name meant

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #109 on: 10 Mar 2017, 02:38 am »
^ Looks like a Russian sub wreck from the '50s.

Brain cramp, my bad, that's all.....
Narwhal....repeat 50 times....

Grant Hill

« Reply #110 on: 10 Mar 2017, 07:28 am »
Close, but I think he means nutty narwhal (S3.XX), the unicorn of canada's north and it has no ETA. We want to work on manic moose some more as there is a 50/50 chance the BDP-1 platform won't see nutty narwhal support and we'd like to bring the dashboard v2 originally planned for nutty narwhal to BDP-1 owners.  Dashboard v2 for those not aware is a new method of browsing the library that is integrated into, well the dashboard. Also there could be a side project to bring Roon Core to the BDP-3, which would further delay nutty narwhal.

Hi,

does bringing Roon Core on the BDP3 mean that it won't be necessary anymore to install Roon on a PC or NAS and use Roon with a BDP3 only?

Marius

« Reply #111 on: 10 Mar 2017, 09:09 am »

Roon Core sounds very interesting of course, but only if you would have the top specs needed for that. anything below an I7 processor would be considered less than optimal especially with ever growing libraries..... Does the new motherboard have an I7?

Cheers,
Marius

Grant Hill

« Reply #112 on: 10 Mar 2017, 10:38 am »
Hi Grant

I have a BDP-3 at home now but had to give up my BDP-2.  I should have another BDP-2 soon so will try some comparisons.

I would not expect there to be much of a difference as the Bryston sound card is identical in both.

james

Thank you James.
As I own a BDA3 I expect some improvements with Bryston's proprietary IAD Integrated Audio Device.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #113 on: 10 Mar 2017, 11:47 am »
Hi,

does bringing Roon Core on the BDP3 mean that it won't be necessary anymore to install Roon on a PC or NAS and use Roon with a BDP3 only?

Yes thats the plan so we are going to look into that given the power of the new CPU in the BDP-3.

james

Marius

« Reply #114 on: 10 Mar 2017, 12:39 pm »
Yes thats the plan so we are going to look into that given the power of the new CPU in the BDP-3.

james

woudn't you be leaving the philosophy of separating processing and playing tasks that started the whole idea behind the success of the BDPs.
Not even considering the power question of the new board, which would soon be not powerful enough for Roon and force the need to upgrade...

I would have believed the architecture of having a powerful Roon computer and a dedicated player to be the preferred and advised one? At least according to Roon.

Cheers,
Marius

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #115 on: 10 Mar 2017, 01:12 pm »
It's really no different then including shairplay or squeezelite, it opens the BDP to a wider audience.  It's not what we originally intended nor what some necessarily consider as ideal, but some may likely want it and making it an option that can be turned off or needs to be turned on prevents it from interfering with anything else.  Depending my on the feedback we get we maybinplement something sooner rather then later.

Regarding the CPU, I have discussed the BDP-3's specs at length with my counter part over at roon and his only concern was the SSD we intend to include (32GB msata drive from apacer).  I believe the plan is going to be to offer a Samsung evo 850 500GB drive instead (about 470GB available for music files) for those that just want it and don't care about the added markup or you can send us your own drive and we will use it instead.

The CPU isn't much of a concern, a quad core 2ghz-ish atom and as it has been announced 8GB of ram which roon would have access to as a roon core requirement is a 64 bit os. 
« Last Edit: 10 Mar 2017, 05:31 pm by unincognito »

Grant Hill

« Reply #116 on: 10 Mar 2017, 01:48 pm »

james

wow that would make the BDP3 a game changer in the market

Marius

« Reply #117 on: 10 Mar 2017, 02:09 pm »
It's really no different then including shairplay or squeezelite, 

HI Chris,

Don't get me wrong, im excited to hear about the developments, but on your statement above, that's not really the fact isn't it? I might not understand it correctly but one could compare shairplay with the BDP being a Roon endpoint, but not with being the Roon Server? Streaming over Shairplay isn't the same as the BDP acting as a full iTunes server?

Why Core https://kb.roonlabs.com/Why_Core%3F

Suggested Hardware 20K albums I7/8gb ram https://community.roonlabs.com/t/suggested-hardware/90/20
... About the Atom:  Some CPU series (Celeron, Atom) are severely cache constrained.

Could you indicate which Atom processor you will be using? https://ark.intel.com

Cheers Marius

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #118 on: 10 Mar 2017, 05:27 pm »
Hi,

Yes, we think this would help simplify a Roon setup involving a Bryston source, the BDP-3 would act as both the source and the server and you would use a computer or tablet as the controller.

Grant Hill

« Reply #119 on: 10 Mar 2017, 06:03 pm »
great idea... Thank you Chris!

P.S. are you Chris, aren't you?