MOG and AppleTV (gen 3)

neekomax

Re: MOG and AppleTV (gen 3)
« Reply #20 on: 19 Mar 2013, 06:21 pm »
I googled Mog free and right at the top:

http://mog.com/promos/trial_info

I set up another account no problems, and in the account tab it indicates free as long as you do the networking sharing thing, which is decidedly not my thing. Then you have the 4.99 and up. It's not for everyone. If sound quality is not a priority and having access to certain premier groups like the Beatles and Led Zeppelin *is* a priority then MOG is not the best option.

Dude, that's a 14 day free trial. Or at least that's what it says right on that page. So either not really free, or they have the worst copy editor ever.

From what I can tell, SQ of Spotify premium is just as good as MOG, no? 320 Kbps?

What is 'netwrking sharing thing', and what does it have to do with being free or not?

I don't really think I'm dumb or unfamiliar with the ways of the Intertubes. I actually think this is pretty confusing. 

wushuliu

« Reply #21 on: 19 Mar 2013, 06:35 pm »
Dude, that's a 14 day free trial. Or at least that's what it says right on that page. So either not really free, or they have the worst copy editor ever.

From what I can tell, SQ of Spotify premium is just as good as MOG, no? 320 Kbps?

What is 'netwrking sharing thing', and what does it have to do with being free or not?

I don't really think I'm dumb or unfamiliar with the ways of the Intertubes. I actually think this is pretty confusing.

M'kay. Free trial 14 days. You can keep on having free access as long as you continue to 'share' your music via social networking.  That part may have changed. In their feedback I see people saying it's the 14 day trial only. For computer only. It is a little confusing, but honestly no more or less than the others.   

Spotify Premium is not free if I remember so I don't understand the comparison and it's more expensive. And last I knew their music was NOT guaranteed 320k but much lower and at their discretion and they encoded using ogg vorbis and when I demo'd sounded like crap no better than Pandora. And they were more expensive per month. But that was a year and half ago so maybe they've gotten their act together since then. To MOGs credit they have stated that a small portion of their music is at 256 as given to them by the distributor.

So unless Spotify has changed the way they do things you are choosing b/w misleading free membership vs. undisclosed sound quality. Pick your poison.

neekomax

« Reply #22 on: 19 Mar 2013, 06:51 pm »
M'kay. Free trial 14 days. You can keep on having free access as long as you continue to 'share' your music via social networking.  That part may have changed. In their feedback I see people saying it's the 14 day trial only. For computer only. It is a little confusing, but honestly no more or less than the others.   

Spotify Premium is not free if I remember so I don't understand the comparison and it's more expensive. And last I knew their music was NOT guaranteed 320k but much lower and at their discretion and they encoded using ogg vorbis and when I demo'd sounded like crap no better than Pandora. And they were more expensive per month. But that was a year and half ago so maybe they've gotten their act together since then. To MOGs credit they have stated that a small portion of their music is at 256 as given to them by the distributor.

So unless Spotify has changed the way they do things you are choosing b/w misleading free membership vs. undisclosed sound quality. Pick your poison.

The bitrate may be undisclosed via Spotify, but I've been comparing the two a bit (just got my free MOG trial!  :P), and they sound pretty much the same to me across 5 tracks so far. I think I saw somewhere that people had been feeding Spotify through a DAW or something and getting the true bitrate. Be interesting to find that again.

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #23 on: 19 Mar 2013, 07:08 pm »
I have a MOG subscritption. I think, not sure, that you have to pay for the 320kps.

Doc

grimace

« Reply #24 on: 19 Mar 2013, 07:30 pm »

Wow, I kinda kicked up some fun.  Wasn't really trying to compare/contrast between MOG, Rdio, Spotify, Pandora etc.  Basically, I've used them all and still use them all except Rdio.  What I found with MOG was that all content is available to my iPad/iPhone (for AirPlay streaming) at 320kbps which was unique in my experience. 

On the Free MOG offering, it was only for 'non-mobile' devices like a PC or laptop, so that didn't work for me and since I signed up, I have to say that I'm pretty impressed with the music selection and quality of play. 

To each his own though :)

harley52

« Reply #25 on: 22 Mar 2013, 06:27 pm »
Yes, the Beatles and Eagles are very important to me. That's why I have an acct. at Pandora, besides the one I have at Rhapsody. I didn't know Mog doesn't carry the Beatles. So, I'm good where I'm at.

I do wonder why Rhapsody and Mog don't carry the Beatles. Guess, it may be the cost.