This hobby is some kind of sickness........

SoCalWJS

This hobby is some kind of sickness........
« on: 28 Jan 2013, 03:50 pm »

The hard part is done. Picked them up Saturday (Thanks Nick! :wave:). Schlepped them upstairs yesterday. The position of the LS-6'es have been marked.

Need to move the LS-6'es, hook up the Super V's (may need one more RCA), start moving them around, begin measurements, adjust controls, choose a spot, then spike them.

Have to see if they will match up with the X-Voce for HT duties and make a bunch of adjustments for that.

Fun times ahead!  :thumb:

underdawg

• Industry Participant
Re: This hobby is some kind of sickness........
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jan 2013, 03:59 pm »
very nice looking subs, how much did they cost to make, or the manufactured?

SoCalWJS

« Reply #2 on: 28 Jan 2013, 04:53 pm »
very nice looking subs, how much did they cost to make, or the manufactured?
Subs are manufactured (no woodworking skills whatsoever  :oops:)
JL Audio Fathom f113 on top, Velodyne F1500r on the bottom (not pictured MFW-15 Turbo)
Subs are almost exclusively for HT (and Multi channel music occasionally  :green:)

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #3 on: 28 Jan 2013, 04:55 pm »
I'm looking forward to read about what sonic differences you appreciate between the Super V's and your LS-6's.  :thumb:

Best,
Anand.

dragoonxp20

« Reply #4 on: 28 Jan 2013, 05:36 pm »
Soooo jealous.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #5 on: 28 Jan 2013, 05:47 pm »
John,

You are a very sick man.  We all want to understand why you are doing this.  Perhaps you should lay down for a minute.  We are all thinking that this behavior is just a cry for help.   Can I come over for a listen?

So lemme understand what is going on here.  You know, take the temperature of the patient.  Just a few questions to evaluate your state of mind before passing judgement.  You can always ask for a second opinion of course.  This is the Audio Circle.

Is that a pair of Open Baffle Super V's next to the Line Source LS6's? (If so I am immediatly suspecting some sort of BiPolar condition.  ServoSub caused emotional push and pull that can only be mitigated by heavy medication.)

These speakers are so different in thier approach to making sound.  Why would you want to have both of them in the same room?  (As a baby were you breast fed or bottle fed?)

Are you thinking that you will use the LS for Home Theater and the Super V for music?  (Split personality disorders can begin with an unsatisfied feeling of  inadequency.  "At work I deal with pressure by being one person.  At home I deal with pressure by becoming another person.")

Some people compensate for an inadequency in thier life or physical attributes by acting out thier fantasies.  Have you always had a need for huge dynamic range coupled with fast articulate bass?  Have you recently purchased a Harley as well?  (Speaker size does not compensate for a small ego.  Your ego is not your amigo.)

If you can give us the answers to these questions we might come closer to understanding the reason you are allowing both Ying and Yang into the sound room of your life. 

Warm regards,

Dr. Stephen Hasslefactor, MIC KEY MOU SE

SoCalWJS

« Reply #6 on: 28 Jan 2013, 06:19 pm »
Looks like it's one trip down the hill before I get this hooked up :(

Dusting of snow overnight, so Anne took the 4x4. I get to wait until there's some melt before I take the family car to the store. Ah well..... anticipation, it's making me wait  :hyper:.

Guess I'll watch the final round before i do errands. (we need a golfing emoticon)

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #7 on: 28 Jan 2013, 08:05 pm »
SoCal,

Very interested in your opinion of the differences between these two speakers. I have been considering both or them in my very large room for awhile now.

Greg

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #8 on: 28 Jan 2013, 08:47 pm »
I just don't know what to say. Makes me want to  :cry: and at the same time  :bowdown:

You know we had a similar affliction, as Steve said, Bipolar condition and yes we were crying for help and yes help came. And now this. A travesty.

So let the games begin.   :duel:  In one corner, weighing in at 148 lbs each with a reach of over 6' Llll Sssss 6'ssss!

And in the other corner weighing - a lot (hard to move with spikes), squat and muscular, Suuuuuper V'ssssss.

Can't wait your assessment John and way cool.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #9 on: 28 Jan 2013, 11:41 pm »
We always must seek the middle ground in life.  Can you see the cure here?

This just hit my Facebook page.   Is is an open baffle line source with servo bass?  I'm not sure.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.511782648844706.111980.414759331880372&type=1&comment_id=5937127&ref=notif&notif_t=photo_album_reply

I really can't wait to hear about your listening impressions of these side by side.  Congradulations.

prokennex

« Reply #10 on: 29 Jan 2013, 12:12 am »
Two great pairs of speakers. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on how they compare to each other.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #11 on: 29 Jan 2013, 12:32 am »
We always must seek the middle ground in life.  Can you see the cure here?

This just hit my Facebook page.   Is is an open baffle line source with servo bass?  I'm not sure.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.511782648844706.111980.414759331880372&type=1&comment_id=5937127&ref=notif&notif_t=photo_album_reply

I really can't wait to hear about your listening impressions of these side by side.  Congradulations.
Those are the Serenity 7's - they premeired at RMAF 2012. My impression was that they are Super V's with greater refinement and detail.  :thumb: If you want a truly incredible soundstage and smoooooth sound, give these a listen. I think the speed from upper bass on up was similar to planar/electrostatics, and then the OB Servo 12's on the bottom  :o

SoCalWJS

« Reply #12 on: 29 Jan 2013, 12:34 am »
Well, I got everything wired up - not the way originally planned, but the second option.

Something is OBVIOUSLY wrong. I've sent a PM to see what I've done wrong, and I'll go over everything again.  :scratch:

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #13 on: 29 Jan 2013, 02:29 am »
Lucky man!

I've got a couple of arrays for fronts and rears on my HT,
Its fun to have many...

Let me guess...the subs are not working properly?
Happened to me on my V-1, what a relief when they finally kicked in.

Was much better on my Super V, only screwed up on one tower... :roll:

Good luck

Perry

SoCalWJS

« Reply #14 on: 29 Jan 2013, 04:28 am »
OOC -

What is the official/recommended way of hooking these speakers up to your stereo?

I am splitting the L/R output from my pre and running separate RCA to the servo amps and my regular amps. There are separate L/R inputs on the Servo amps - is there any difference?

rockdrummer

« Reply #15 on: 29 Jan 2013, 04:26 pm »
SoCal, that is how I would plan on setting them up.

I am mostly sure that using both L/R RCA inputs on the servo amp will give you a db boost in the single digits, but not sure how much.  And for that matter, that may be completely made up from all the stereo research/reading I've been doing lately.  I believe most people use one input.  I don't know which, left or right, would be suggested if you are coming in with one cable though. 

Ben

Danny Richie

« Reply #16 on: 29 Jan 2013, 05:25 pm »
Both the left and right inputs work just the same. You can also feed a signal to both inputs if your low level signal strength is weak and you need more output. Using both of them (feeding the same signal not left and right together) will give you 6db more output via the same gain setting on the dial.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #17 on: 29 Jan 2013, 05:30 pm »
Hmmmm....

I decided to try each path of the signal separately, that is, no splitter with the RCA running directly to either the servo amp or my main amp.

The good news is that the RCA running to my regular amps gets the signal and sends it to the speakers and that both the tweeter and large driver on both speakers appear to be working.

The not so good news is that when I run an RCA straight to the servo amps, I get nothing. I tried each of the inputs on both amps (L/R). Nothing. I flipped each switch and rotated every knob while sending a signal to the speaker. NADA. I checked each connection several times (the servo amp speaker outputs are connected to the speaker via a "quick connect" plastic connector that can only go together one way). The inter connect cables are in good shape and work on other things. The light turns to green when switched to the on position.

Can anybody think of anything I'm missing for doing basic diagnostics?  :scratch:

SoCalWJS

« Reply #18 on: 29 Jan 2013, 05:31 pm »
Both the left and right inputs work just the same. You can also feed a signal to both inputs if your low level signal strength is weak and you need more output. Using both of them (feeding the same signal not left and right together) will give you 6db more output via the same gain setting on the dial.
Thanks Danny - I'l pick up some cheapo splitters and try that. If it works I'll get some better ones.

rockdrummer

« Reply #19 on: 29 Jan 2013, 06:07 pm »
Is there any chance the preamp may be not sending lows?  I am just troubleshooting, and I don't know what preamp you are running. 

ben