2011 Carolina Meeting Discussion

richidoo

2011 Carolina Meeting Discussion
« on: 24 Dec 2010, 07:36 pm »
Let schedule some meets for 2011!

There are so MANY audiophiles in the Carolinas, it would be fun to meet each other, then we would have a lot more to talk about here. Let's start by meeting quarterly. I think it will grow if we're having fun.

Jan thru March - TBA
April thru June - richidoo (~May)
July thru Sept - TBA
Oct thru Dec - TBA

Additional events are welcome, of course. Post announcements in this thread.
« Last Edit: 7 Feb 2011, 08:40 pm by richidoo »

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: 2011 Carolina Meeting Schedule
« Reply #1 on: 24 Dec 2010, 11:07 pm »
I think this is a great idea but will also caution you.  Danny from CAS did a fantastic job organizing the club.  Sadly the club dwindled away into hibernation from lack of interest. 

richidoo

« Reply #2 on: 25 Dec 2010, 01:39 am »
I think this is a great idea but will also caution you.  Danny from CAS did a fantastic job organizing the club.  Sadly the club dwindled away into hibernation from lack of interest. 

Thanks for the kudos jtwrace! Yes, it is sad about CAS. It seemed like a great club, at least from my perspective on the outside - nice newsletter, regular meetings, swap meets, etc. The crash spooked a lot of guys, audio hobby became a low priority for some. 

The recent Audio Advice events were packed. I am confident that there are enough interested audiophiles to allow us to start meeting and let it grow over time.  Posting about our events in AC circle will be key to the growth.

Please post your ideas and your interest in attending any event, or hosting.
Thanks everyone!
Rich

weitrhino

« Reply #3 on: 29 Dec 2010, 04:22 am »
I'm a relative newcomer to this group.  Can someone explain what CAS was, please?  I'm interested in attending an event to gain an understanding of what goes on and what the goals/purpose is supposed to be before I offer to host something.  I'd hate to set myself up for embarrassment right off the bat!  :?

richidoo

« Reply #4 on: 30 Dec 2010, 12:35 am »
It was either Carolina Audio Society of Charlotte Audio Society, based in Charlotte, NC.

Thanks for considering to host Rodney! Good idea to check one out before you host. But it's really just a friendly informal gathering of audiophiles to come listen to your system, maybe bring their show and tell gear to swap into your system if you allow it, or even setup a new system. All this as an excuse to come together and talk about the hobby and have some fun with like minded fellas. Sometimes the host system is not so great, like at my last g2g, but we had a backup system available from the components that people brought and everyone enjoyed talking just as much. Some people may be more intent on hearing a great system to make the drive worth the effort, others will come for the people, or something in between.

I have found that the meetings are more usually focused on audiophile sound quality type ideas, rather than music listening, but as host you can say come listen to music, no audiophile talk! It's all up to you.

Depending on your location and your system you might have 5-25 people show up. You could limit it to 5 people for a mini meet, etc. Or do a last minute thing, there are no set rules.

As host you make up the rules about food, system changes, and what happens when. You can invite pot luck, or cook it all yourself, or take donations for catering or pizza. The biggest thing to remember is that it is just a bunch of guys just like you who love audio. Nobody expects anything fancy. That's how I look at it anyway.

The best thing about audio meets is learning more about the hobby. Getting advice on how to improve your system, and asking questions of experienced guys who love nothing more than flappin the jawbone about their fav. sport. My enthusiasm for the hobby and my desire to achieve a great system goes way up after a great meet.

What do you guys think about audio meets? Different opinions? What would you like to see, or not see in our gatherings?
Rich

weitrhino

« Reply #5 on: 31 Dec 2010, 03:33 pm »
I went to the 2008 Carverfest, which was more of a week long retreat rather than a simple gathering.  I found that it was difficult to do much critical listening to the various systems present, and there were some stellar systems to be heard.  There was always so many people around talking, eating, laughing aloud that quiet space with a system was at a premium.  I determined that I'm really a music guy who wants a great sounding system rather than an audiophile striving for absolute perfection in audio.  Some guys wanted to show their systems saying such things as, 'Listen to how great it sounds' but not really caring about the music.  If I'd wanted to stand around a bunch of nice equipment talking about how nice it sounds I could have gone to a hifi shop.  Still, it was a good time.

So, from my perspective a meet would be about faithful reproduction and listening, not necessarily to pick the brains of those more heavily invested in the hobby.   For me if the music isn't compelling then the system becomes non-involving.  I have what I have by choice, economics, and happenstance so improvement is certainly possible.

richidoo

« Reply #6 on: 8 Jan 2011, 07:05 pm »
I know what you mean Rodney. Sometimes it may take a few tries to find the group of guys that match your ideals. Each audiophile group grows into its own priorities over time. Some groups are into technology, trying new circuits, etc, others focus on music, others bring equipment for comparisons. Over time a group of like minded people start to form a clique and then you're off to the races.

What makes the big events like RMAF and AKfest so much fun is seeing and meeting people that you know as friends online, and making the friendships real.

Even if there is not gonna be any main Carolina Audiophiles Circle events, (lookin that way..) it's great to meet up with guys living nearby occasionally. There is strong potential for friendship based on shared passion.

weitrhino

« Reply #7 on: 10 Jan 2011, 04:33 am »
This may be premature, but I got tentative approval from 'she who must be obeyed' today for a future gathering.  At least in principle she's OK with it, timing notwithstanding. So, we'll see.  I just acquired an Oppo BDP-93 which is relagated to audio-only duty for the time being.  This keeps it out of the family room and sticky little fingers off.  And (joy!) my new listening chair is due to arrive tomorrow!   Now I can get off the piano stool!

It's all coming together!  :thumb:

richidoo

« Reply #8 on: 10 Jan 2011, 05:35 am »
CooL!!  You are very central location on the map.  :thumb:

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #9 on: 10 Jan 2011, 06:29 pm »
In the near future  I plant to host a meeting. If possible and schedules permit we may have DB (Don) Keele on hand to talk about his vast experience in audio.

weitrhino

« Reply #10 on: 10 Jan 2011, 07:02 pm »
'She who must be obeyed' has spoken.  So here's the deal:

I will host a group on Saturday, March 26 at my home in Laurinburg, NC starting at 10 AM. 

This should give interested parties enough time to drive without having to start in the middle of the night.  Feel free to bring demo equipment if you wish.  On offer with my system foremost is a pair of Bob Carver's hand built tube monoblocks driven by a Carver C-16 preamp into a pair of Carver Amazing Platinum loudspeakers in my dedicated room. The front end is the new Oppo BDP-93. Yes, I like Carver and will also post this invitation on the Carver forums.  I have crap cabling everywhere. (hint)  My TT still needs some TLC and the way I presently have the room set up does not allow for a permanent TT, but something could always be temped.  Unfortunately the floor sways with heavy footsteps in this room so I have not been itching for the TT anyway, but that does not preclude a temp setup if someone wishes to bring vinyl.

OK, I realize I'm the FNG here, but you'll never know if I'm a jerk or not unless you attend.  Please let me know if you're in so I can get a reasonably accurate headcount and supply directions via PM.

cheers,  Rodney

dflee

« Reply #11 on: 13 Jan 2011, 01:59 am »
Hey Rodney, Nice looking system. I have looked up those posted that have systems listed and while I am quite pleased with mine, I will quote Wayne and Garth "I am not worthy" to have you all over. I guess I feel a little intimidated by the great systems you guys have. Am looking forward to meeting everyone and hearing all that is out there. Do hope to be able to attend the scheduled gtgs.

Later
Don

weitrhino

« Reply #12 on: 13 Jan 2011, 08:51 pm »
Don,  I really don't think it matters what kind of system you might have.  The system is just an excuse to for a G2G in my book.  I know my system has shortcomings, even glaring ones by some standards.  But I like it, just as you like yours, so I'm certain others will, too.

tjohnusa

« Reply #13 on: 3 Feb 2011, 11:23 pm »
Hello all....kind of new here also. My name is Terry and I live in Beaufort SC so do we have any members here around this area? Charleston, Hilton Head, Savannah and the like? My system is far from "audiophile" but like it. I have a Outlaw 1060 receiver powering JBL L120 with lower quality source components...something to work on. So if anyone is from the lower Carolinas I would love to here some stuff or host a get together...let me know.

koyaan

« Reply #14 on: 4 Feb 2011, 07:36 pm »
Hey weitrhino;
I'll plan on being there 3/26.
Thanks for hosting, and thanks to "She who must be obeyed" for agreeing to put up with us.

weitrhino

« Reply #15 on: 4 Feb 2011, 08:14 pm »
Good deal. I'll PM directions about a week prior to you and anyone else planning to attend.

richidoo

« Reply #16 on: 7 Feb 2011, 08:39 pm »
Thank you Rodney for getting this party started!  The date looks good for me, so far. I'll know better when the date gets closer.

Thanks Rick for another possible meeting.

I plan to do one also, so I'll shoot for the summer or fall. We only need one more to fill out the year's schedule.

weitrhino

Re: 2011 Carolina Meeting Discussion
« Reply #17 on: 4 Mar 2011, 07:39 pm »
My G2G is in 3 weeks on 3/26.  (see above)  In a few days I'm leaving the country for a week or so and will send directions to those planning to attend when I return.  SCUBA in Aruba !  :D

richidoo

« Reply #18 on: 4 Mar 2011, 09:08 pm »
Have fun Rodney, don't swim on top of stingrays. The date looks good for me at this point.
Thanks
Rich

weitrhino

« Reply #19 on: 4 Mar 2011, 10:50 pm »
Good deal, Rich.  I've also had several interested from the Carver site.  Still too early to get a handle on how many, but that should shape up when I return.

cheers,  Rodney