Grace is Gone

ajzepp

Grace is Gone
« on: 4 Aug 2008, 03:52 am »
I knew what this film was about, and I knew it would probably be difficult to watch...so what do I do? I rent it anyway... :duh:

I guess it's just that I enjoy strong acting, even when the overall film itself isn't exactly Oscar worthy. I happened to catch Martian Child a while back and, while it wasn't a great film by any means, I really felt that Cusack and whoever played the little kid did a great job of acting. I saw the preview for Grace is Gone and gave it a go for the same reason.

Even though I enjoyed most of his earlier films, I felt that J.Cusack sort of always played the same character. I grew to question his range as an actor, which is probably the one quality that stands out the most to me when I see it. Pacino, DeNiro, Crowe, Hanks, P.S. Hoffman, etc....I love the way they can disappear into the character and make them entirely believable. Anyway, I think some of Cusack's more recent films have proved that he's a LITTLE stronger in that regard. His character in this film felt to me like a very (VERY) watered-down version of P.S. Hoffman's in Love Liza (talk about a great performance!). He was dealing with some of the same psychological and emotional challenges, but on a different scale and with different circumstances. All things considered, I think he did a pretty good job...and the girls in the film are just two more examples of how talented young people can be on the big screen!

I have a tendency to let the director twist and pull my emotions in whichever way he or she so chooses, even when the film is bad...and this was no exception. I also tend to try and live somewhat vicariously through the character, and doing so in such a film as this can really take a toll on you. I don't know that I recommend this film, save for the "Cusack growth" issue I discussed above, if that's of any interest....or, if you just enjoy getting kicked in the balls emotionally for no apparent reason ;)

I'd be interested to hear the thoughts of anyone else who's seen this film

audioferret

Re: Grace is Gone
« Reply #1 on: 4 Aug 2008, 03:56 am »
It is funny (almost creepy) that you mention this.  My wife and I just finished watching 1408 a few hours ago and she mentioned this movie.  I am a big JC fan and I returned from Iraq a little over a month ago.  We looked the preview up on IMDB about an hour before I read your post.  I am interested in this movie and will take your recommendation into account.  Thanks!

ajzepp

Re: Grace is Gone
« Reply #2 on: 4 Aug 2008, 05:54 am »
It is funny (almost creepy) that you mention this.  My wife and I just finished watching 1408 a few hours ago and she mentioned this movie.  I am a big JC fan and I returned from Iraq a little over a month ago.  We looked the preview up on IMDB about an hour before I read your post.  I am interested in this movie and will take your recommendation into account.  Thanks!

What did you think of 1408? I was tired when I saw it in the theater, so I may rent it so I can fill in some of the gaps.

BTW, thank you for defending our country :)