Flaws in movie storytelling

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
Flaws in movie storytelling
« on: 5 Mar 2023, 03:22 am »
In "Star Wars", they flew down the trench in order to blow up the Death Star. How the hell can those photon torpedoes enter the exhaust port shaft at an angle? Why wouldn't you just fly straight towards the target shaft from space?

You don't need "The Force". You need to think outside the trench.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: Flaws in movie storytelling
« Reply #1 on: 5 Mar 2023, 05:21 am »
You obviously have no experience with firing photon torpedoes. If you did, you'd know the answer.    :wink:

Next question!

Folsom

« Reply #2 on: 6 Mar 2023, 05:20 am »
Because the shields would stop them if you weren't firing close enough.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 27 Dec 2023, 07:12 pm »
And before this:
They got the "stolen plans" back to the rebel base. They analyzed it, found a weakness with the Death Star, and planned their attack. After the briefing, the guy in charge says "may the force be with you". How can they know about the "force", when Luke barely learned it himself. None of those other rebels were Jedi's. If they were, they could have successful on the first target shaft run. They wouldn't have need a targeting computer, and would have sense Darth Vader coming up behind them.

Same can be said about Return Of The Jedi:
Admiral Ackbar said "may the force be with you. He knew nothing about the force. If he did, he wouldn't have screamed "it's a trap". He would have known it was a trap.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #4 on: 27 Dec 2023, 08:12 pm »
Another movie with a flaw in the story was the first Indiana Jones.  Indy is completely superfluous to the plot.  With or without him, the Nazi's find the Ark, open it and die. 

It was noted in an episode of The Big Bang Theory a while back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWE6M-rhh2U

viggen

« Reply #5 on: 27 Dec 2023, 08:47 pm »
latest beef I have with a movie is oppenheimer.  the whole second half of the movie is the government going after oppenheimer for his supposed communist sympathies.  but, this witch hunt was instigated by strauss (robert downey jr's character) who was insulted by oppenheimer.  so, the mcguffin device for the entire second half of the movie is oppenheimer's arrogant attitude that pissed off strauss.  however, during the entire course of the movie, oppenheimer has aways been formal and cordial to everyone to a fault.  so, it's a complete break of character for the second half of the movie to happen. 

WGH

« Reply #6 on: 28 Dec 2023, 02:06 am »
There was no love lost between Oppenheimer and Strauss. Oppenheimer made a bad joke at a U.S. Senate AEC hearing and Strauss took it way too personally.

At the hearing Oppenheimer said: "“My own rating of the importance of isotopes is that they are far less important than electronic devices, but far more important than, let us say, vitamins.”
Strauss never forgave him for it. Strauss wanted to ban isotope exports but Oppenheimer was trying to downplay Strauss's concerns about exporting isotopes by dismissing their importance relevant to other factors.

The film changed the end of the line to: "...more important than a sandwich"

A lot more info can be found Googling "oppenheimer insults strauss"

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 28 Dec 2023, 05:03 am »
Another movie with a flaw in the story was the first Indiana Jones.  Indy is completely superfluous to the plot.  With or without him, the Nazi's find the Ark, open it and die. 

It was noted in an episode of The Big Bang Theory a while back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWE6M-rhh2U

There is a flaw with your flaw:
Without Indiana Jones, You have no "Raiders Of The Lost Ark". You need Indy to have a adventure movie. Without him, you have a History Channel video of the Nazi's getting the Ark. He is the hero, even if he gets chased by everything, dragged by a truck, or freaked out by snakes.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #8 on: 28 Dec 2023, 05:53 am »
It's make believe.  It's not a flaw.  It's just flights of imagination.   

Mix4Fix, this kid isn't you from a while back, is it??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n6hf3adNqk

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #9 on: 28 Dec 2023, 10:41 am »
Plot holes?  You're talking plot holes?  Try the new Netflix Rebel Moon.  The entire movie is one giant plot hole.  Barbarella makes perfect sense next to it.  Such a shame, the previews looked great, in fact watching the four previews in a row is better than watching the movie.

JohnR

« Reply #10 on: 28 Dec 2023, 10:57 am »
Great thread. Every time I mention a plot hole my so tells me to stfu.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 21 Jan 2024, 12:35 am »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSqCJ-UGYns

In Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country, Spock and Bones alter a photon torpedo with equipment to locate the exhaust of the cloaked Klingon Bird Of Prey. If that torpedo can locate exhaust from a starship, how does it not locate the exhaust from the U.S.S. Excelsior, nor the U.S.S. Enterprise by accident?

How does that equipment fit, and work inside a torpedo?

At some point, wouldn't you just rapid fire phasers in the direction of where the torpedos are coming?

Why doesn't Bones state that "I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!", since what does a doctor know about the mechanics of a Starfleet torpedo?

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 24 Feb 2024, 07:11 pm »
Return Of The Jedi:
They fly to the energy shield protected Death Star. They use the code to deactivate the shield in order to land on Endor. During the intitial briefing, it showed the energy shield coming straight up from Endor and create a round field around the Death Star.

They could of landed almost anywhere on Endor without deactivating the shield. They could have came around on the opposite side of Endor with little to no interaction. Darth Vader probably wouldn't have noticed the shuttle, nor possibly sensed Luke.