Speaker suggestions

pmosher

Speaker suggestions
« on: 28 May 2013, 11:28 pm »
I looking for suggestions for my next set of speakers. Currently I have a pair of Snell CVs. Something of a reasonable cost ie. under 10k.
My room is 20 x 20. Amp is a AVA DH 500 Insight preamp AVA insight+.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Re: Speaker suggestions
« Reply #1 on: 29 May 2013, 02:41 am »
Welcome to AC.  Perhaps a bit more on your preferences in music and speakers might help.  I see you have the Snell Type C, Series V, or is it the CV series home theater speakers?  If the former why would you need an upgrade, if the later, very nice speakers, but the upgradeitis is understandable.

pmosher

« Reply #2 on: 29 May 2013, 03:11 am »
They are C series 5.  Mostly old pre 70s R&R and classical music. Just wondering if a change would actually be worthwhile.

neekomax

« Reply #3 on: 29 May 2013, 03:47 am »
I would probably consider Soundield Audio 1812 Overtures for that kind of coin. Vapor Audio Nimbus (or maybe Arcus?) would be worth a look as well. PMC FACT 8 or 12? Marten Django? At that level I would want serious dynamics and extension.

neekomax

« Reply #4 on: 29 May 2013, 04:27 am »
Here's a brief video on the Soundfield Audio 1812 Overtures. The specs are awesome... 12" coaxial bipolar upper units with rear firing ambiance driver, 18" active OB dipole subs below in their own enclosure!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=784nZbYAFA4

FA4

And here's a little write-up:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/capitol_audiofest_2012/part1/page2.htm

Soundfield Audio

When you find a pair of speakers that have integrated 18" subwoofers, it kinda begs to be abused. So, I did. I found AJ of Soundfield Audio demoing his now-shipping 1812 Overture speakers ($7500 a pair), with their big, angled-back, coincident drivers and accompanying subs, and promptly asked him to play a couple of torture tracks for me, on the off chance we could generate a seismic event. I can happily report that we over achieved in a most satisfying way by creating a momentary singularity – those Higgs boson jokers can suck it. So, aside from my unkindness to the entire hotel, whose structural integrity is now entirely suspect, the Soundfield experience is right on track for blowing out your expectations for what's up and coming in audio's high-end.

More seriously? This speaker had the most devastating bass at the show, bar none. Next year, AJ can safely upgrade to a huge suite and blow that out, too. Nice work on the "everything else" over the last time I'd heard them at AXPONA. The subs are now di-polar. The top cabinet still sports the very fancy 12" BMS coaxial driver, but now a 6.5" Dayton Audio neodymium full-range driver hangs off the rear of that top cabinet, wired in-phase, making that unit a bi-pole. Boxless sound with big-box punch. Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

charmerci

« Reply #5 on: 30 May 2013, 06:10 am »
I'd look into the (Jim) Salk Soundscape 8's - around $8-9K.  There's a Salksound thread here with an owner's audition list to see if someone lives near you to listen or you can e-mail Jim himself.