GRR and 300B?

nativetexan1976

GRR and 300B?
« on: 9 Mar 2023, 12:14 am »
Since I'm a new user I apparently don't have the ability to search the forums yet.   Nevertheless I'd like to know anyone's thoughts on using any of the GR Research models with a 300B amp.   A little background - I listen in a dedicated but small space - 11 x 13, 9' ceilings.   I'm not likely to blast the volume, but I do like dynamics.  I've been using a Class D integrated (Peachtree) which now serves as my pre-amp into a Willsenton R300 which puts out 8-9 watts into 8 ohms.   Currently I'm listening on a pair of Triangle Borea 3's, which sound great on both the Peachtree and the R300, however I am wanting to DIY some tube friendly speakers.   I really appreciate everything has done for this community and love the product line up.  Given my set up, I was wondering if there are any designs that lend themselves to working well with a low powered 300B amp.  I really like the idea of open baffle, but do I have enough juice?   Would the X-Statik work?  What about XLS Encore or NX-Studio?   Thank you all,

Steve

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
Re: GRR and 300B?
« Reply #1 on: 9 Mar 2023, 02:14 am »
Since I'm a new user I apparently don't have the ability to search the forums yet.   Nevertheless I'd like to know anyone's thoughts on using any of the GR Research models with a 300B amp.   A little background - I listen in a dedicated but small space - 11 x 13, 9' ceilings.   I'm not likely to blast the volume, but I do like dynamics.  I've been using a Class D integrated (Peachtree) which now serves as my pre-amp into a Willsenton R300 which puts out 8-9 watts into 8 ohms.   Currently I'm listening on a pair of Triangle Borea 3's, which sound great on both the Peachtree and the R300, however I am wanting to DIY some tube friendly speakers.   I really appreciate everything has done for this community and love the product line up.  Given my set up, I was wondering if there are any designs that lend themselves to working well with a low powered 300B amp.  I really like the idea of open baffle, but do I have enough juice?   Would the X-Statik work?  What about XLS Encore or NX-Studio?   Thank you all,

Steve

We have an Elekit 300B in house that we use on occasion, and most of our kits will play well with them.
I especially like the X-Statiks on tube amps, but in a room your size, you shouldn't have any issues with any of our kits. The more efficient they are, naturally they will play louder, so the X-CS/X-MTM/X-Statiks will all be solid options at roughly 90dB.

Both the X-LS & NX-Studios will work, but they are less efficient at 86dB