Best place to buy music in Raleigh NC?

BikeWNC

« on: 27 Feb 2003, 11:32 pm »
I'm heading down to Raleigh this weekend, which is across the great digital divide from where I live up here in the mountains, for the State-Maryland BB game.  I'll have a bit of time to shop around for some new CDs.  I'd like to know who in Raleigh carries the best all around selection.  I listen to all kinds of music with the exception of rap and most country.

Thanks, Andy

NealH

« Reply #1 on: 28 Feb 2003, 02:29 am »
Best Buy (Glenwood Ave) probably has the biggest CD collection and perhaps the best prices.  But I like the book stores, Borders (several locations) and Barnes & Noble (Glenwood ave).  Mainly because it is pleasant to be in either of these stores.  Look and listen to music, read magazines or books, and have your coffee or pepsi with something sweet.  Just very pleasant.  Millenium Music (Capital Blvd) is also popular especially since one can listen to virtually any CD in the store.  My only complaint with Millenium is that the Raliegh store is not stocked as well as the Durham store.  But, in either one is able to listen to just about any CD and this is especially nice for "take a chance" buyers like me.  

For window shopping Audio Advice (Glenwood ave) is the premier high-end audio store with Advance Audio (salt box villiage in Cary) being the runner up, though with significantly less eqiupment.  It will take the title of your home for a down payment on their best systems.

BikeWNC

« Reply #2 on: 28 Feb 2003, 03:23 am »
rnhood,

Thanks for the info.  Glenwood Ave. is very close to my friend's home where I'll be staying.  I was in the Audio Advice store what seems like 20 years ago.  Unfortunately, they're closed Sunday and Monday, as per their website, so it will have to wait till my next trip down there.  Unless I can sneak out of here on Sat.  I'd love to check out the new B&W 805 Signatures if they have them.

Andy

bob82274

« Reply #3 on: 28 Feb 2003, 04:34 am »
Hey how does the Glenwood BB compare to the one over at Crossroads?  I just go over there cause there is an REI store right next door.

DTH

« Reply #4 on: 28 Feb 2003, 04:56 am »
Schoolkids is a local chain. I used to shop at the one in Durham before it closed. They tend to have a good selection of new/used indie, vinyl, electronic & some rap.  But not a big selection of jazz, classical, etc.

http://triangle.citysearch.com/profile/6156126

Millennium is also a local chain, and again I have only been to the Durham store. They expand on the typical college town store selection and carry a lot of world music, classical, jazz etc. But not many used CDs.

http://millenniummusic.citysearch.com/

This weekend I am heading out your direction to do some camping. Know of any good record stores up on Mt Mitchell?

mojoman

« Reply #5 on: 28 Feb 2003, 09:32 pm »
I think the Millenium store on Captial Blvd is out of business.  If it is still open it's only to sell a what stock is left.  There was an article in the paper that they were moving everything (including the employees, so no one lost their jobs) back to Durham.   When I buy locally it's usually at Best Buy on Glenwood.  There aren't any really good music stores in Raleigh anymore, IMO.  Millenium was the best one but is no more.  The reason they gave for closing is that so many of their regular customers have lost their jobs in the local economy they couldn't support keeping the store open.