What classical music you listening to, luv?

aragon63

• Dorian, Lydian, Phrygian,Jazz Minor

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.

etcarroll

Re: What classical music you listening to, luv?
« Reply #342 on: 22 Oct 2010, 03:01 am »
Have a Niteshade pre on loan, putting it through it's paces with some symphonic music;

Beethoven - Symphony no. 9 'Choral' / Furtwängler, Schwarzkopf, Höngen, Hopf, Edelmann

Dave G

« Reply #343 on: 22 Oct 2010, 01:37 pm »

Arvo Pärt - Te Deum

Feanor

« Reply #344 on: 23 Oct 2010, 02:28 am »
A famous classic, and very fine, recording ...

etcarroll

« Reply #345 on: 25 Oct 2010, 04:36 pm »
Beethoven Piano Concerto No. 2 & No. 5 "Emperor"

Quite nicely played, especially in the In the  fifth piano concerto, O'Conor conveys all the grand sweep of line, color, gesture, and sheer musical size of this work.

etcarroll

« Reply #346 on: 28 Oct 2010, 03:58 pm »
Handel: Orchestral Works
Iona Brown( Violin) Directing Academy Of St. Martin In The Fields & Celia Nicklin( Oboe)/ George Frideric Handel: Orchestral Works( 3 Oboe Concertos, 2 Sonatas, Overture in B Flat/ B- Dur, Hornpipe in D/ D- Dur

A vinyl rarity I grabbed on Agon.

Dave G

« Reply #347 on: 28 Oct 2010, 05:15 pm »

etcarroll

« Reply #348 on: 28 Oct 2010, 08:00 pm »
Handel: Music for the Royal Fireworks / Water Music [Original recording remastered]
George Frederick Handel (Composer), Karl Münchinger (Conductor), Stuttgart Chamber Orchestra (Performer) | Format: vinyl

Another Handel vinyl find from Agon.

canzld

« Reply #349 on: 28 Oct 2010, 09:36 pm »

JS Bach Well-Tempered Clavier, Book 1 -- Andras Schiff

Did you like it? I usually find Schiff pretty, but rather boring - or was that pretty boring  :D- I think Hewitt, Tureck and a few others generally bring much to the table...even Gould

Dave G

« Reply #350 on: 28 Oct 2010, 09:47 pm »
Did you like it? I usually find Schiff pretty, but rather boring - or was that pretty boring  :D- I think Hewitt, Tureck and a few others generally bring much to the table...even Gould

Yes, I did like it, and I like Schiff, too.  He does play beautifully, but to me he is not boring at all.

Cheers,  Dave

canzld

« Reply #351 on: 29 Oct 2010, 02:32 pm »
Yes, I did like it, and I like Schiff, too.  He does play beautifully, but to me he is not boring at all.

Cheers,  Dave

Glad you enjoyed it. I must add the corollary that my experience relates mostly to his earlier recordings such as this - I haven't listened to anything he has done recently. I think part of my feeling stems from his use of a very mellow sounding instrument on the recordings I heard, which tends to sublimate dynamics and tonal contrast giving a kind of 'one noteness' to his playing in my ears - although it is nitpicking, as there is no doubt he is a great pianist. That said, I am not a fan of the limited amount of Beethoven I have heard him play - from an interpretative point of view.
Just for fun I popped on

last night. Can't say I care much for his preferred tonal palate (very dry),  I can only guess he was trying to emulate a harpsichord type sound - and despite his eccentricities I still find this significantly more engaging than Schiff, due, I think, to a greater sense of forward momentum and rhythmic liveliness

on a completely different note - finished the evening with

excellent playing from the Berlin Phil and very good recording too

etcarroll

« Reply #352 on: 1 Nov 2010, 12:23 am »
Haydn: Symphony No. 94, the Surprise and Symphony No. 100, Military [Lp Record]

I would of thought the 100th to be very good, if not for the fact the first time I heard it, live, was just before the 1st time I heard Mahler's 5th, also live.

Still, between 'trick or treaters', I'm listening to this to give the 100th a chance to grow on me.

canzld

« Reply #353 on: 2 Nov 2010, 02:43 pm »
Solti certainly wouldn't have been my first choice either in Haydn.

After reading much about Jeno Jando, I was quite disappointed with this - I found the interpretation uninspired and plodding at times. One reviewer said majestic with grandeur - I couldn't feel it. Immediately after playing this disc I switched to

talk about night and day. The recorded sound may be pretty bad - still better than my set of LPs of the same - but Schnabel is just so much more involving and interesting than Jando. No comparison in my book, of course as always, YMMV.

etcarroll

« Reply #354 on: 3 Nov 2010, 12:54 am »
Tchaikovsky, Mendelssohn: First Piano Concertos
Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky (Artist), Felix Mendelssohn (Artist), Lang Lang (Artist), Daniel Barenboim (Artist), Chicago Symphony Orchestra (Artist) | Format: SACD

etcarroll

« Reply #355 on: 3 Nov 2010, 03:09 pm »
Mussorgsky: Pictures at an Exhibition; Prelude to Khovanshchina - Modest Mussorgsky (Composer), Charles Mackerras (Conductor), London Symphony Orchestra (Orchestra), New Philharmonia Orchestra (Orchestra), Robin McCabe (Performer) | Format: Super Audio CD

This is an excellant sounding recording, being SACD is just extra. The Prelude, though sounding good, is just filler.

Dave G

« Reply #356 on: 3 Nov 2010, 05:54 pm »

Mozart Piano Sonatas - Eschenbach

Ronm1

• "A Bug!! Naa...thats a feature!
« Reply #357 on: 6 Nov 2010, 03:31 am »
Beethoven: The Late String Quartets - Tokyo String Quartet RCA Red Seal 3cds

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #358 on: 6 Nov 2010, 03:35 am »
Latest acquisition - Rachmaninov Piano Concerto 3 and 4, Andsnes and Papano with the LSO:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #359 on: 6 Nov 2010, 03:38 am »
Solti certainly wouldn't have been my first choice either in Haydn.

After reading much about Jeno Jando, I was quite disappointed with this - I found the interpretation uninspired and plodding at times. One reviewer said majestic with grandeur - I couldn't feel it. Immediately after playing this disc I switched to

talk about night and day. The recorded sound may be pretty bad - still better than my set of LPs of the same - but Schnabel is just so much more involving and interesting than Jando. No comparison in my book, of course as always, YMMV.

Majestic with grandeur?  Try Pollini or Gilels instead.