What classical music you listening to, luv?

HAL

• Industry Contributor
Re: What classical music you listening to, luv?
« Reply #120 on: 11 Feb 2010, 03:53 am »
If you can, try listening to the RR Symphonic Dances from the HRx release.  It takes the sonics to a new level in my system.  I have the HDCD version and the HRx is even better!

Thebiker

« Reply #121 on: 11 Feb 2010, 04:25 am »
Awesome, because the dynamics are close to breath taking now....on an average (my definition) system.  On my own system, it is breath taking at performance higher dB levels.

Doesn't the HRx take specialized gear?  I haven't researched it yet due to budget constraints....I retired about 18 months ago at age 55 :singing:, but it does put a dent into my disposable income.  I already run 2 tube 2 channel systems and a HT setup (it is good to have an understanding spouse), add that to the Harley and the convertible and I have lots of toys for my spare time 8).

Walt

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #122 on: 13 Feb 2010, 01:47 pm »
Rachmaninov: Piano Concerto No. 3; Saint-Sa�ns: Piano Concerto No. 2

Featuring Emil Gilels.

Enjoying his playing very much, I'll have to track down more of his works. Technicaly proficient while lyrical and powerful at the same time.

timjthomas

« Reply #123 on: 13 Feb 2010, 02:09 pm »
Brahms: Sonata for 2 Pianos; Mendelssohn: Piano Trio #1; Martha Argerich

A fantastic CD!!

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #124 on: 13 Feb 2010, 02:30 pm »
Awesome, because the dynamics are close to breath taking now....on an average (my definition) system.  On my own system, it is breath taking at performance higher dB levels.

Doesn't the HRx take specialized gear?  I haven't researched it yet due to budget constraints....I retired about 18 months ago at age 55 :singing:, but it does put a dent into my disposable income.  I already run 2 tube 2 channel systems and a HT setup (it is good to have an understanding spouse), add that to the Harley and the convertible and I have lots of toys for my spare time 8).

Walt

If you have a DVD-A player, the files can be mastered to DVD-A format with some inexpensive programs.  I do this and it works well with my Oppo 981HD.

If you have a PC based system and an external DAC that does 24bit/192KHz it would work in native mode.  The PC will downsample to whatever sample rate the soundcard will support.  Depends on the sound quality of the down conversion and sound card if it will sound better or not in this case.

weirdo

« Reply #125 on: 14 Feb 2010, 10:38 pm »
Listening to a fantastic Piano Concerto by Scriabin. It is his first. Absolutely well rounded, dramatic, poetic, ...  all the things I like in a PC. This is my only Scriabin record. Does anyone have recommendations for me on other Scriabin material or what might be the best copy of PC No. 1. I have the London release with Ashkenazy/Mazel LPO from 1972.     Cheers. DK

aragon63

• Dorian, Lydian, Phrygian,Jazz Minor

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #127 on: 15 Feb 2010, 03:41 am »

Schubert: Impromptus For Piano

----- >>     Valentina Lisitsa plays Rachmaninoff Etude Op. 39 No. 6 "Little Red Riding Hood"

Outstanding selection!  As I get older, I appreciate Perahia's perfect pianism more and more.

hifiman5

« Reply #128 on: 15 Feb 2010, 11:42 pm »

Dave G

« Reply #129 on: 16 Feb 2010, 01:21 am »

aragon63

Dave G

« Reply #131 on: 21 Feb 2010, 02:23 pm »

Mozart Piano Quartets - Beaux Arts

Lovely music, beautifully played.  Nice sound quality, too.

Dave

aragon63

etcarroll

« Reply #133 on: 21 Feb 2010, 10:04 pm »
http://www.amazon.com/Chopin-Ballade-Waltzes-Mazurkas-Barcarolle/dp/B0013KJAP2/ref=pd_sim_m_1

Not getting the full effect as I'm using it as music to burn in new xovers in a pr. or bookshelf speakers, but still sounds elegant.

aragon63

aragon63

« Reply #135 on: 22 Feb 2010, 02:28 am »

Randy

« Reply #136 on: 24 Feb 2010, 05:33 pm »
Wierdo,
   You should like some of Scriabin's solo piano works, esp, the sonatas. There are many great recordings of them. I have a complete set, among others, on Hyperion that is excellent.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #137 on: 7 Mar 2010, 06:51 pm »
ALBENIZ...IBERIA-Jesus Lopez- Cobos

etcarroll

« Reply #138 on: 7 Mar 2010, 10:15 pm »
John Field: Piano Concertos, Nos. 2 & 3

So my latest foray to buy more music was mostly centered on Shostakovich, based on that thread.

However, I noticed a few Telarc disks for next to nothing in cost, so I grabbed them.

I'm listening to John Fields played by John O'Conor, and loving it. For just $2.99, what a steal.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #139 on: 7 Mar 2010, 11:02 pm »
Another recent, great discovery.  It displaces my previous set of Perenyi & Schiff in the Beethoven Cello Sonatas: