What classical music you listening to, luv?

Scotlynn

Re: What classical music you listening to, luv?
« Reply #1020 on: 9 Jan 2014, 06:53 pm »
Ordered this on Amazon days before xmas at a ridiculously low price, I guess because it was out of stock - its in stock now and over double what I paid.  It showed up on my doorstep a couple of hours ago, so looks like I'll be listening to this one for a few days!

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #1021 on: 21 Jan 2014, 02:49 pm »
MacDowell's 2 piano concerto played by a young Van Cliburn on a shaded dog RCA.

S Clark

« Reply #1022 on: 22 Jan 2014, 02:01 am »
Feidler and the Boston Pops on Crystal Clear direct to disc.  Capriccio Espanol and Italien. I love hearing these bass drums resonate for 4 or 5 seconds.

S Clark

« Reply #1023 on: 6 Feb 2014, 12:21 am »
Where are the classical listeners?  Two weeks with no post???? :scratch:
Earlier today was Honegger Pacific 231 on the Westminster Lab.  Their Lab series were shorter lp's to have wider spacing between groove and no cutting near the record center.  Very quality thinking for the mid-Fifties. 
Wonderful dynamics and clarity on a mid fifties recording. Westminster Records specialized in European directors and artist overlooked by the major labels.  It was a small shop built by a NYC record store owner with some backers.  Their early recordings used a single mike, similar to the Mercury recording engineers.  Their mono recordings are to be sought after. 
« Last Edit: 6 Feb 2014, 03:40 am by S Clark »

jimdgoulding

« Reply #1024 on: 6 Feb 2014, 12:46 am »
Malcolm Arnold- English, Scottish & Cornish Dances, MA conducting The London Phil (Lyrita).

Ericus Rex

« Reply #1025 on: 6 Feb 2014, 01:59 am »
Where are the classical listeners?  Two weeks with no post???? :scratch:

Oh I've been listening!  I just find it rather involved to take a pic of the album, or search the net for a pic of the album to add to the thread.  Would it be OK to list what I'm spinning without a pic?

If so, then I most recently listened to Bax - Sym. 1.  Byron Thompson - Ulster Phil.

I did just get the 20 cd box set "Poulenc - Oeuvres Complete" but have not had a chance to listen yet.  Soon.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #1026 on: 6 Feb 2014, 04:53 am »
Ernest Bloch's Trois Poemes Juifs; Two Last Poems, Maybe; Evocations- New Zealand Sym conducted by James Sedares (KOCH).

Freo-1

« Reply #1027 on: 6 Feb 2014, 10:18 pm »

Sounds incredible on SACD.  One of my favorite recordings.

S Clark

« Reply #1028 on: 7 Feb 2014, 04:02 am »
... and another classic Merc.  Big, powerful;  miked to put you close to the action.

rockadanny

« Reply #1029 on: 7 Feb 2014, 02:03 pm »
I was looking for a good Viola da Gamda CD and was recommended this. Very nice.

S Clark

« Reply #1030 on: 9 Feb 2014, 05:34 am »
Sviatoslav Richter in concert at Carnegie Hall.  Khrushchev came to the US in 1960 and brought Richter for a "goodwill" tour.  Richter's performances at C.H. are still highly regarded.
On Columbia 6 eye mono...  I may even prefer mono for piano solo recordings- more dynamics. 

rockadanny

« Reply #1031 on: 14 Feb 2014, 03:27 pm »

rockadanny

« Reply #1032 on: 17 Feb 2014, 03:39 pm »

ThuanDB

« Reply #1033 on: 26 Feb 2014, 01:21 am »
Francis McBeth's Daniel in the Lion's Den.  Purchased several years ago per recommendation but never able to fully enjoy it.  Not until today when I gave it another chance fate a few changes to the setup.  The recording us sounding totally different from last time I heard.  Gone is most if not all digital glare, all tracks take on a big, full body, spacious presentation.  The tuba's big, warm, huge image us in contrast with piano or synthesizer.  I ended up playing all tracks, some even twice.  Sorry I don't know how to post cover art.

S Clark

« Reply #1034 on: 26 Feb 2014, 03:38 am »
On reel to reel

rockadanny

« Reply #1035 on: 26 Feb 2014, 12:04 pm »

rockadanny

« Reply #1036 on: 26 Feb 2014, 04:16 pm »

jimdgoulding

« Reply #1037 on: 1 Mar 2014, 03:06 am »
Allan Pettersson- Sym no.8  (DG);  Ralph Vaughn Williams- Sinfonia Antartica (Angel).

S Clark

« Reply #1038 on: 1 Mar 2014, 03:51 am »
Allan Pettersson- Sym no.8  (DG);  Ralph Vaughn Williams- Sinfonia Antartica (Angel).
Today?? It had to be 85 degrees in Houston today.  I pulled my copy out last week when it was cold and windy and grey.  It's my favorite of all of the Vaughn Williams that I own. By the way, I was just reading today about the Scott Expedition.  At the last camp he still had a box of fossil ferns with him.  A proper explorer/scientist to the bitter end.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #1039 on: 1 Mar 2014, 06:04 am »
Scott, to your music that you can feel substance, listen to Shostakovich no.10 in E Minor on the Melodiya label with the USSR Symphony Orchestra.  I mean who better.  I can't say enough about this.  For me, it's up there with the best music I have ever heard or felt.  Bar none.