What classical music you listening to, luv?

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: What classical music you listening to, luv?
« Reply #980 on: 24 Oct 2013, 03:11 am »
I picked up this just because it was cheaper than a cup of coffee and pristine.  I'm also a sucker for Direct Metal Masters (although the photo is an earlier pressing).
I was thinking traditional madrigals... oh no, this guy is from a different planet. 

George Crumb- Madrigals, 5 piano pieces, and Makrokosmos III on BIS.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #981 on: 24 Oct 2013, 11:13 am »
I picked up this just because it was cheaper than a cup of coffee and pristine.  I'm also a sucker for Direct Metal Masters (although the photo is an earlier pressing).
I was thinking traditional madrigals... oh no, this guy is from a different planet. 

George Crumb- Madrigals, 5 piano pieces, and Makrokosmos III on BIS.

One of the most amazing things about Crumb was the effort he put into his scores.  Google "George Crumb score" and see what he created!

S Clark

« Reply #982 on: 24 Oct 2013, 01:26 pm »
Crumb really is from a different planet.  I checked out those scores!!??

jimdgoulding

« Reply #983 on: 3 Nov 2013, 03:31 am »
I have a recording of Crumb's Makrokosmos III, too, on Nonesuch, I believe, and will look for it PDQ.  BIS is a most reliable source of well recorded material.  Just now am listening to Hans Pfitzner's Palestrina performed by the Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra on the Orfeo label. 

jimdgoulding

« Reply #984 on: 3 Nov 2013, 04:32 am »
Tabula Rasa- Arvo Part (ECM New Series).

S Clark

« Reply #985 on: 3 Nov 2013, 04:36 am »
Tabula Rasa- Arvo Part (ECM New Series).
That's a great piece of music.  I think I'll go put it on and have a glass of vino :wine:

jimdgoulding

« Reply #986 on: 3 Nov 2013, 04:41 am »
That's a great piece of music.  I think I'll go put it on and have a glass of vino :wine:
I'm way ahead of ya, Scotty.  Sticking with Part, up next is Miserere also from ECM.  The shortest piece on this is Festina Lente and it's sooo moving in a way Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings is. 

Ericus Rex

« Reply #987 on: 3 Nov 2013, 12:55 pm »
I'm way ahead of ya, Scotty.  Sticking with Part, up next is Miserere also from ECM.  The shortest piece on this is Festina Lente and it's sooo moving in a way Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings is.

That's my favorite performance of that piece, but the sound quality is only OK.  I have a couple other (and better) recordings but their performances don't hit me the way the ECM recording does.  Do you have Part's Alina disc?  Only two short pieces on it but incredible works and good sound.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #988 on: 3 Nov 2013, 01:26 pm »
You have that, Scott?  Alas, I do not.  Thanks, Ericus.   

Ericus Rex

« Reply #989 on: 3 Nov 2013, 03:55 pm »
A live performance of one of the two pieces on Alina.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8ZScAdV8qE

I prefer the recording to this performance; the sound is better and the playing is a little more minimalist and 'airy'.  The piece may sound easy to play but the bow control needed to fade out at the end of each line makes this piece extremely difficult.

S Clark

« Reply #990 on: 3 Nov 2013, 04:14 pm »
You have that, Scott?  Alas, I do not.  Thanks, Ericus.
Nope, I've only got the Tabula Rasa. 

As far as being way ahead of me Jimbo, you get no argument from me.   My goal in life is arrive in Houston to study the vinyl way at the feet of the Master.  :bowdown:

S Clark

« Reply #991 on: 3 Nov 2013, 04:20 pm »
A friend loaned me this.   I lasted about 15 minutes... went and put on some jazz.  Guess I'm just too fixed in my ways, but random sounds ( yep, intentionally random in the word of the composer) interspersed with classical snippets isn't my idea of music.  Definitely different.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #992 on: 3 Nov 2013, 09:52 pm »
Nope, I've only got the Tabula Rasa. 

As far as being way ahead of me Jimbo, you get no argument from me.   My goal in life is arrive in Houston to study the vinyl way at the feet of the Master.  :bowdown:
Looking forward to your visit, Scott, and I'll try not to disappoint.  And, thank you, again, Ericus.

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #993 on: 6 Nov 2013, 04:21 pm »
Beethoven: Diabelli Variations / Andras Schiff

Beethoven piano works played by a master on pianos not unlike what Beethoven may have composed the works on - a Bechstein grand from 1921, and a Hammerflugel fortepiano from Beethoven's own day.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #994 on: 6 Nov 2013, 05:01 pm »
If you haven't heard it already, you Arvo Part lovers need to check out Henryk Gorecki's Sym No 3.  I prefer the recording with Dawn Upshaw.  Absolutely beautiful!

Scotlynn

« Reply #995 on: 6 Nov 2013, 06:42 pm »
Managed to pick these two recordings up at a used book shop I stopped into a week ago that had a shelf full of vinyl in the back. Been playing them both the last few days. Very nice Lyrita recordings.

Randy

« Reply #996 on: 6 Nov 2013, 08:13 pm »
Managed to pick these two recordings up at a used book shop I stopped into a week ago that had a shelf full of vinyl in the back. Been playing them both the last few days. Very nice Lyrita recordings.

Great finds. The Lyrita Bax symphony series has never been bettered.

Scotlynn

« Reply #997 on: 6 Nov 2013, 10:48 pm »
Great finds. The Lyrita Bax symphony series has never been bettered.

Yes, agreed. I have most of the Lyrita catalogue on CD and most, if not all, are wonderful recordings - the Ireland and Holst renderings are particularly nice -  but I don't come across them on vinyl too often. Happy to have found these.

S Clark

« Reply #998 on: 16 Nov 2013, 04:05 am »
Mellow, romantic, and cello...
Dvorak Cello Concerto on DG with Karajan and Rostopovich

Dave G

« Reply #999 on: 16 Nov 2013, 02:29 pm »

Listening to this on MOG: