What classical music you listening to, luv?

jimdgoulding

Re: What classical music you listening to, luv?
« Reply #920 on: 17 May 2013, 01:31 am »
Speaking of great recordings.  We elder listeners remember the days of the EMI label for good reason.  This is about as good as it gets.  Even in my smallish room the orchestra is huge and whole and with easy observance of its sections.  Dimensionality and detail are splendid.  So's orchestral weight. The album is Elgar's FALSTAFF Symphonic Study with Boult conducting the London Phil and it's an EMI Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab pressing.  Hope you can find it.  SClark, this is a must have for you.  I'd bet a dollar Toni Rambold has it and will agree.  Great music brilliantly played and recorded.

It's one I'd use to demo my system if ya'll were ever my guest and I'd floor you.  Not to mention the music.  I imagine in a larger room and grander speakers it would just get better.

« Last Edit: 17 May 2013, 03:02 am by jimdgoulding »

jimdgoulding

« Reply #921 on: 17 May 2013, 02:24 am »
And I'd have to follow with this one- Malcolm Arnold's English, Scottish & Cornish Dances with The London Phil conducted by the composer (Lyrita).  Couldn't find a picture on 32 pages at Amazon.  Guess it's rare.  This one is just so beautifully and unceremoniously recorded it makes many other highly regarded ones sound almost pretentious.   It's just lovely is what.  Sometimes the way some guys record, the harmonics are too noticeable, kinda unrealistic were you listening in a large venue  This recording just so serves the romantic nature of the music. Oddly, the recording engineer isn't mentioned in the liner notes.   

jimdgoulding

« Reply #922 on: 18 May 2013, 02:48 am »
And . . . Stravinsky's The Soldier's Tale Suite from Reference Recordings (45rpm).  Performed by The Chicago Pro Musica*.  A Keith Johnson recording.  Clarity and unbridled dynamics that me likes.  You would, too.  Released as L'histoire du Soldat.  Cheers.

*a group of 12 players to include brass.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #923 on: 18 May 2013, 02:53 am »
Speaking of great recordings.  We elder listeners remember the days of the EMI label for good reason.  This is about as good as it gets.  Even in my smallish room the orchestra is huge and whole and with easy observance of its sections.  Dimensionality and detail are splendid.  So's orchestral weight. The album is Elgar's FALSTAFF Symphonic Study with Boult conducting the London Phil and it's an EMI Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab pressing.  Hope you can find it.  SClark, this is a must have for you.  I'd bet a dollar Toni Rambold has it and will agree.  Great music brilliantly played and recorded.

It's one I'd use to demo my system if ya'll were ever my guest and I'd floor you.  Not to mention the music.  I imagine in a larger room and grander speakers it would just get better.
Jim,
I picked up a copy when you posted about this about 6-9 months back.  I agree, it's one of the best sounding lps in my collection.  :thumb:

Scott

jimdgoulding

« Reply #924 on: 18 May 2013, 03:13 am »
Scott, good.  You have Danny's very tall multi driver speakers, I believe, right?  I gots little squatty things.  Bet I could have some fun at your house. 

S Clark

« Reply #925 on: 18 May 2013, 03:39 am »
Yep, the LS9's are nothing if not dynamic.  Some think that they may lack a bit of high end sparkle, but it's been so long since I could hear a cricket that I've forgotten what they sound like... so give me the midrange detail and the bass quickness of a line array.

S Clark

« Reply #926 on: 19 May 2013, 03:08 am »
Shostakovich wrote most of the "Leningrad" Symphony in 1941 while present at the siege.  This is powerful music.
I picked up a NM copy at the local record store for $2.  conducted by Yevgeny Svetlanov and the USSR sym. orchestra.

simoon

« Reply #927 on: 21 May 2013, 06:17 pm »
Stravinsky Conducts Stravinsky - The Soldier's Tale

Are those Design Acoustics d-10's I see in your listening room?  :thumb:

S Clark

« Reply #928 on: 21 May 2013, 09:11 pm »
Stravinsky Conducts Stravinsky - The Soldier's Tale

Are those Design Acoustics d-10's I see in your listening room?  :thumb:
Not many folks recognize those old guys.  Actually they are the D-12's... my first foray into better sound back in '76. They are still pretty decent speakers, and are doing HT duty.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #929 on: 24 May 2013, 11:51 pm »
I tried real hard to find this for youse on the internet.  Alas, I couldn't come up with it.  Most of you are more adept than me at finding things on the internet and I recommend you make the effort to find this.  Here is an excerpt from the liner notes about the recording on the Syrinx label-

"In order to create the atmosphere of a live concert, but without its imperfections:

1) We make our recordings in a hall and not in a studio, using only two microphones, sufficiently far and not too near without any alteration, manipulation, of reduction in dynamics.

2) Once the ordinary recordings are finished, we start a new recording in the same hall, but this time with a quiet and limited audience so as not to change the acoustic parameters.  This relaxed by the fact that the recording is over, and stimulated by the audience, the artists can give themselves completely to their music and can take risks.  It is this public recording which serves as a basis for the record which you hear."

Whatever, I have lots of very fine recordings, but this is one of the finest out there in my experience (at least I hope it's out there, somewhere) and some of the most charming music I have ever heard-

MOZART- Les Quatours pour Flute et Cordes by Alain Marion et le Trio a Cordes de Paris.

Happy hunting and let all know if you're successful.  Cheers.

S Clark

« Reply #931 on: 27 May 2013, 09:47 pm »
Just got back from the last of the prelims of the Van Cliburn competition in Ft. Worth.  Even in the first round it was great piano.  It's just amazing how much talent is out there. If any of our AC members have a chance to go, do it while you can.... it only rolls around every 4 years.

Scott

jimdgoulding

« Reply #932 on: 1 Jun 2013, 03:14 am »
Musique Folklorique d'Amerique Latino - Cochabamba (Pierre Verany).  A quartet of Sur America fellows on acoustic instruments from the region and while close miked sounds damn good.  I suppose this is more folk than classical as we think it.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #933 on: 6 Jun 2013, 08:49 pm »
Glasgow Hebridean Choir (Aloi Records from Linn).

Toni Rambold

« Reply #934 on: 6 Jun 2013, 11:42 pm »
Quote from: jimdgoulding
I'd bet a dollar Toni Rambold has it and will agree.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #935 on: 6 Jun 2013, 11:50 pm »
I knew it.  Thanks, always.     

jimdgoulding

« Reply #936 on: 7 Jun 2013, 04:10 am »
Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue-  Erich Kunzel conducting the Cincinnati Sym Orchestra (Telarc).  Couldn't find a pic on Amazon but only looked thru ten pages out of 99.  Hadn't listened to this in a long time.  Glad I did,  Original, fascinating music and very nicely done in that Telarc kinda way.

Dave G

« Reply #937 on: 7 Jun 2013, 12:32 pm »

Listening on MOG to The Trio Sonata in 18th-Century Germany

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #938 on: 7 Jun 2013, 01:46 pm »
Beethoven* -  Charles Munch /  Boston Symphony*   ‎– Eroica 
Label: RCA Victor Red Seal ‎– LSC-2233
Series: Living Stereo –
Format: Vinyl, LP, Reissue

Tubes, mosfets, VPI & vinyl and Beethoven on a rainy morning, it all works.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #939 on: 12 Jun 2013, 04:25 pm »
Shostakovich Symphony no.8 with Previn conducting the LSO (Angel).  Damn, this is a somber but a so beautiful piece of work.