What classical music you listening to, luv?

jimdgoulding

Re: What classical music you listening to, luv?
« Reply #840 on: 14 Feb 2013, 03:55 am »
I have Misere, Rex, and the only track I listen to is Festina Lente and it is out of this world beautiful. You da man.   

Randy

« Reply #841 on: 14 Feb 2013, 04:42 am »
Two interesting rarities you don't see too often, violin concertos by two 20th century Italian composers, Malipiero and Casella. Good stuff.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #842 on: 15 Feb 2013, 07:50 pm »
I have Misere, Rex, and the only track I listen to is Festina Lente and it is out of this world beautiful. You da man.

I've always found that recording to be a bit too dark and 'veiled' sounding.  I have another recording of Festina Lente that is better recorded but the performance is not as satisfying.  :?   I did see in my local record shop recently a 2cd set of Arvo Part's more lush compositions titled "Arvo Part - Serenity."  I thought about getting it but I wasn't sure the disc wasn't just a repackaging of the same recordings I already have.  Need to investigate further.

All Arvo Part fans know Gorecki's Symphony #3.........right?

JBrahms

« Reply #843 on: 17 Feb 2013, 06:29 am »
Parsifal, the Beyreuth Festival 1962 recording.

Also Brahms Hungarian Dances, on sacd with Janowski and Pittsburgh SO.

Just bought the Fischer/Budapest Mahler 2 but didn't like the first movement when compared to my touchstone Walter recording. Will come back to it later.

Dave G

« Reply #844 on: 17 Feb 2013, 06:39 pm »
J S Bach Keyboard Concertos on CD with Murray Perahia and Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields

jimdgoulding

« Reply #845 on: 22 Feb 2013, 05:57 am »
Britten's The Turn of the Screw- Aldeburgh Festival Ensemble (Naxos CD).  I think Naxos is commonly thought of as a budget label.  Well, the production and engineering on this is almost you are there.  I say almost because the microphoning can't quite capture the intimacy of the orchestra or entire space of the venue.  The stage, however, and the soloists and pianist that occupy it, are just fine.  Ahem, quite a bit better than just fine. 

JBrahms

« Reply #846 on: 25 Feb 2013, 04:48 am »
Very excited to be traveling to New York this weekend to hear the Vienna Phil play Bruckner 4 and the Berg concerto!

Also seeing Don Carlo and at least one other concert or opera if I can get a ticket.

aragon63

• Dorian, Lydian, Phrygian,Jazz Minor
« Reply #847 on: 27 Feb 2013, 01:18 am »

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #848 on: 27 Feb 2013, 03:37 am »
Slowly working my way through the complete set of Haydn Symphonies.  First 75 conducted by Hogwood, the ones after that conducted by Harnoncourt. 

Randy

« Reply #849 on: 27 Feb 2013, 04:59 am »
Slowly working my way through the complete set of Haydn Symphonies.  First 75 conducted by Hogwood, the ones after that conducted by Harnoncourt.

There are many hidden gems in the early Haydn symphonies, and hardly a dud anywhere to be found. I love Hogwood's set, many of the Roy Goodman (if you can get past the constant tinkling of the harpsichord) set on Hyperion, Colin Davis's set of Paris and London symphonies are the best modern instrument versions. Long time ago I had some of the sets put out by Antal Dorati as part of the first complete recordings. All great stuff. Yes, too bad Hogwood wasn't able to finish his set but he did record some of the London symphonies, but not all.

Tyson

« Reply #850 on: 27 Feb 2013, 05:19 am »
Hi Randy - I actually have the Dorati set, along with the Adam Fischer set, but not the Goodman recordings as I generally hate everything he does.  Have the Davis London's and like them, but like the Harnoncourt (and Bruggen) even more.  Jochum ain't bad either, and neither is Bernstein (shocking, I know).  But the truth is, lots of people do the late symphonies well, it's a lot harder to find good recordings of the early ones.  Of the 3 sets I have, Hogwood is clearly the best in 1-20.  In 20-75 Fischer gets a LOT better and gives Hogwood a real run for his money.  I just wish Hogwood had been given a chance to complete the set.

Randy

« Reply #851 on: 27 Feb 2013, 06:19 am »
Hi Randy - I actually have the Dorati set, along with the Adam Fischer set, but not the Goodman recordings as I generally hate everything he does.  Have the Davis London's and like them, but like the Harnoncourt (and Bruggen) even more.  Jochum ain't bad either, and neither is Bernstein (shocking, I know).  But the truth is, lots of people do the late symphonies well, it's a lot harder to find good recordings of the early ones.  Of the 3 sets I have, Hogwood is clearly the best in 1-20.  In 20-75 Fischer gets a LOT better and gives Hogwood a real run for his money.  I just wish Hogwood had been given a chance to complete the set.

Tyson - I noticed a few years ago the Dorati was issued on CD, but I didn't get it since I was committed to original instrument versions by then- except for Davis. I never tried the Fischer set because I was put off by the reportedly highly reverberant sonics which I hate. I have a few of the Bruggens but don't like the recorded sound there very much either.

Sigiswald Kuijken has a few out on Virgin that are very good. too, Paris and London symphonies. A couple of years ago in London I heard Koopman and his orchestra do two of the Paris symphonies and an organ concerto. Great concert.

I think the Goodman versions are actually done quite well, but the harpsichord continuo gets annoying sometimes. 

Tyson

« Reply #852 on: 27 Feb 2013, 06:30 am »
The reverb on the Fischer set affects symphonies 1-20 and 80-104, which were recorded first.  It bothers me a lot too, which is why I prefer Hogwood for 1-20.  But in 21-79, Fischer has much better sound and gives Hogwood a real run for his money.  Poor Dorati, he puts in all that effort and blazes the trail of recording the full set before anyone else, but he's always coming in 3rd place.....

I have the Kuijken performances too!  I went on a Haydn acquisition tear about a decade ago and I still think I've not listened to everything I added to my collection... and don't even get me started on the quartets or the piano sonatas!

aragon63

• Dorian, Lydian, Phrygian,Jazz Minor
« Reply #853 on: 28 Feb 2013, 04:51 am »

AIFF

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #854 on: 10 Mar 2013, 04:11 am »
Rodrigo: Concierto de Aranjuez with Angel Romero, Andre Previn and the LSO on the Angel Sonic Series 45 rpm.
A moderate tempo, letting you savour all the instruments and hear each note.  The entire Angel Sonic Series are very fine recordings that seem to be often overlooked.

This photo doesn't show the large "Sonic Series 45RPM" lable.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #855 on: 10 Mar 2013, 06:58 am »
Nice score!!

Guy 13

« Reply #856 on: 10 Mar 2013, 10:44 am »
Hi Danny and all Audio Circle members.
When I bought my first serious audio system about 30 years ago,
the salesman made me listen to a Telarc CD (Fanfare for a common man) I was impressed and I bought the CD and listen to it quite often.
Especially now with my GR Research - Danny's V1.
Now, I have acquire another version of the CD Fanfare for a common man
with deeper bass and more room filling bass.
I now prefer that later version.
Danny's V1 are a perfect match for that kind of Classical music.
Thanks Danny.

Guy 13

jimdgoulding

« Reply #857 on: 11 Mar 2013, 12:43 am »
I think that this is still available somewhere on the mighty web.  Regardless of your fancy or because of it, I think you should get a copy cause it will emotionally move you and expand your understanding of musical poetry and art.  I submit that you won't be able to dismiss this even if you don't listen to classical music as a rule.  The rich bowed basses will involve you right from the start.  This was written in Russia in the first half of the last century and the times, they were a changin.  Note the somber and deep toned opening.  Stalin was said to be unhappy with the composer on this.  I suppose he was looking for something more celebratory in tenor.  Give it a go, friends, and as a bonus it is very well recorded:  Shostakovicb Symphony No. 10 in E Minor, with the USSR Symphony Orchestra with Yevgeny Svetlanov conducting, an all Russian affair (Melodiya).

You should get this or remain a cub forever.  Don't be offended, just get it.

ps- I looked for a picture of the cover but was unable to find one.

Er, this is a copy of the same message posted on another topic, so, the message is not meant for you, or here.  The recommendation is, however, for sure.
« Last Edit: 11 Mar 2013, 02:47 am by jimdgoulding »

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #858 on: 11 Mar 2013, 03:30 am »
So I go to pick out some Shostakovich for the evening listen, and pull out an odd bit that I just picked up.  I find some of the strangest stuff at the record store out here in Abilene.
Vanguard VRS 422 Song of the Forest, in pristine condition- a musical celebration of Stalin the master gardener as workers replanted trees in much of war torn USSR.  Apparently it's a bit of an oddity as I can't find a good photo to post.  Anyway, I hate most of it.  If there is a truly avid Shostakovich fan at AC that wants to flesh out his collection, I'll send it to you.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #859 on: 11 Mar 2013, 03:36 am »
Never heard of it, Scott.  Indulge me, listen to the Tenth.