What classical music you listening to, luv?

jimdgoulding

Re: What classical music you listening to, luv?
« Reply #820 on: 27 Jan 2013, 07:14 am »
Heard this playing over the in-house system in a London record store and bought it on the spot a long time ago.  It has never gotten old to me: Bach's Actus Tragicus BWV 106 and, flip side, Telemann . . no way I can type the lengthy title in the shape I'm in (Deutsche Harmonia Mundi 1C 065-99751).  Understood at some point that this is still available on French HM.  A superb recording of timeless sentiment and beauty.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #821 on: 27 Jan 2013, 11:31 am »
Heard this playing over the in-house system in a London record store and bought it on the spot a long time ago.  It has never gotten old to me: Bach's Actus Tragicus BWV 106 and, flip side, Telemann . . no way I can type the lengthy title in the shape I'm in (Deutsche Harmonia Mundi 1C 065-99751).  Understood at some point that this is still available on French HM.  A superb recording of timeless sentiment and beauty.

Lp Link... :thumb:

jimdgoulding

« Reply #822 on: 27 Jan 2013, 04:26 pm »
Wolfsama, you are so the man.

aragon63

• Dorian, Lydian, Phrygian,Jazz Minor
« Reply #823 on: 28 Jan 2013, 01:34 am »

AIFF

jimdgoulding

« Reply #824 on: 30 Jan 2013, 08:18 pm »
Shostakovich Sym no.8- Previn conducting the London Sym Orchestra (Angel);

Shostakovich Sym no.10- Yevgeny Svtlanov conducting the USSR Sym Orchestra (Melodiya).

Having listened to them back to back tonite, I can tell you that the Angel is the better recording cause of its more faithful rendering of an orchestra in a hall.  Of all the Shostakovich Symphonies I've heard, the 8th also happens to be the one I love most. 

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #825 on: 3 Feb 2013, 04:09 am »

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #826 on: 3 Feb 2013, 07:09 am »
Charlie Byrd playing etudes and preludes of Villa-Lobos...  "Sketches of Brazil"

Ericus Rex

« Reply #827 on: 3 Feb 2013, 01:51 pm »

Gidon Kremer - "Arvo Pärt/TABULA RASA"

The 'Cantus in Memory of Benjamin Britten' is one of the best pieces ever written...EVER.

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #828 on: 3 Feb 2013, 02:38 pm »
Richard Strauss - Also Sprach Zarathustra Berliner Philharmoniker Dirigent: Karl Bohm
Richard Strauss  - import lp from Germany

Getting SB Sunday started with a bang.

aragon63

• Dorian, Lydian, Phrygian,Jazz Minor
« Reply #829 on: 11 Feb 2013, 12:15 am »

AIFF

jimdgoulding

« Reply #830 on: 11 Feb 2013, 01:55 am »
The 'Cantus in Memory of Benjamin Britten' is one of the best pieces ever written...EVER.
Ordered this used from Amazon.  New was cost prohibitive.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #831 on: 12 Feb 2013, 04:25 am »
Elgar's Falstaff-Symphonic Study in C Minor with the LSO conducted by Sir Adrian Boult (EMI) remastered by Mobile Fidelity Sound.  One of the best recordings and sound that I am aware of. 

S Clark

« Reply #832 on: 12 Feb 2013, 04:32 am »
Wanda Landowska on the harpsicord...

S Clark

« Reply #833 on: 12 Feb 2013, 04:39 am »
Elgar's Falstaff-Symphonic Study in C Minor with the LSO conducted by Sir Adrian Boult (EMI) remastered by Mobile Fidelity Sound.  One of the best recordings and sound that I am aware of.
Jim, I'm always jealous of your collection of so many fine and hard to come by recordings.  There is a copy available now on ebay..... for about $35.  I know I should just go ahead a buy it, but it's hard for me to let go of those hard earned dollars.

Scott

jimdgoulding

« Reply #834 on: 12 Feb 2013, 03:15 pm »
Jim, I'm always jealous of your collection of so many fine and hard to come by recordings.  There is a copy available now on ebay..... for about $35.  I know I should just go ahead a buy it, but it's hard for me to let go of those hard earned dollars.

Scott
Might be worth more than that a couple of years from now but I seriously doubt you'll want to sell it.  Mine is pristine on vinyl.  Looks to me as tho you've been acquiring some interesting ditties yourself.  Wish you well.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #835 on: 12 Feb 2013, 03:25 pm »
Ordered this used from Amazon.  New was cost prohibitive.

I hope you like it.  It ain't Beethoven though....

jimdgoulding

« Reply #836 on: 12 Feb 2013, 03:34 pm »
I know.  Thanks.

Alan

« Reply #837 on: 12 Feb 2013, 07:28 pm »
The Tabula Rasa cd is a good one, first heard it ages ago and it blew me away. Kept looking at his other recordings and all that vocal stuff got a little boring. Some years ago he came out with a piano concerto called Lamentate which is just stunning imo, highly recommended if you like Tabula Rasa.

BTW, check out the piano player on Tabula Rasa. Alfred Schnittke was a very accomplished composer himself, only time I've seen him as a performer.
This aria from his Faust opera is fun... send it to your Goth friends.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dR78SQeRiC4

simoon

« Reply #838 on: 12 Feb 2013, 07:41 pm »
I FINALLY replaced my missing copy of Ernst Krenek - Static and Ecstatic (also the great Kitharaulos) on the Veresse. Had to pay $25, but worth every penny. Bought it as The Record Collector in Hollywood on Melrose.

The Los Angeles Chamber Orchestra is conducted by the composer for these performances. A real masterwork of Serialism.

James Ostryniec gives a very heroic performance on oboe on Kitharaulos.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #839 on: 14 Feb 2013, 02:01 am »
The Tabula Rasa cd is a good one, first heard it ages ago and it blew me away. Kept looking at his other recordings and all that vocal stuff got a little boring. Some years ago he came out with a piano concerto called Lamentate which is just stunning imo, highly recommended if you like Tabula Rasa.

BTW, check out the piano player on Tabula Rasa. Alfred Schnittke was a very accomplished composer himself, only time I've seen him as a performer.
This aria from his Faust opera is fun... send it to your Goth friends.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dR78SQeRiC4

He's got another piece, similar to Cantus... titled "Festina Lente"  I have it on a disc titled "Misere".  That's another great disc.  Another Part disc that's also fantastic is "Alina."  The piano/violin piece on that disc titled "Spiegel im spiegel" is amazing; so simple but so effective.