What classical music you listening to, luv?

Soundminded

Re: What classical music you listening to, luv?
« Reply #800 on: 4 Jan 2013, 03:11 pm »
Tchaikovsky violin concerto with Munch and Milstein on RCA.  Not as brilliant as the Heifitz version, but the orchestra is recorded better and has more fire.

I've probably got that recording somewhere in my basement. No doubt Milstein was a great violinist and that was a great recording. Problem is, having listened to about a dozen different recordings of the Tchaikowsky on YouTube in rapid succession, Heifetz blew all the others away. There's Heifetz and there's everybody else. And that's usually the way it is. I've got the entire Heifetz collection on both vinyl and cd. (there must be at least 1500 to 2000 violin recordings in my house.) Heifetz  was always a tough act to follow. Those sometimes in his league IMO were Rabin, Menuhin, and Nadien. Of the three only Nadien is still alive.

Soundminded

« Reply #801 on: 5 Jan 2013, 01:58 pm »
Face to face with "Face to Face With Beethoven." I'm going to say right off the bat that I really enjoy this recording. Well at least the Violin Concerto. Anna Sophie Mutter is not Heifetz, she's not in his league. But there's something about her recordings I really like. It's the tone of her violin and the DG style of recording the Berlin Philharmonic especially under HvK. She does take some liberties with the music that's not going to be to everyone's amusement but that doesn't bother me in this case. The triple concerto for violin, cello, piano, and orchestra is a nice work but it does not have a winning melody the way much of Beethoven's better known compositions do. Disappointing especially after the Emperor concerto. In fact it could have been written by Schubert and if I didn't know better and someone told me that I'd have believed it. 

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #802 on: 5 Jan 2013, 03:40 pm »
I've probably got that recording somewhere in my basement. No doubt Milstein was a great violinist and that was a great recording. Problem is, having listened to about a dozen different recordings of the Tchaikowsky on YouTube in rapid succession, Heifetz blew all the others away. There's Heifetz and there's everybody else. And that's usually the way it is. I've got the entire Heifetz collection on both vinyl and cd. (there must be at least 1500 to 2000 violin recordings in my house.) Heifetz  was always a tough act to follow. Those sometimes in his league IMO were Rabin, Menuhin, and Nadien. Of the three only Nadien is still alive.

Totally agree.  Heifetz is usually my go to guy- dynamic yet nuanced.  He was a giant.

S Clark

« Reply #803 on: 9 Jan 2013, 03:37 am »
Zarathustra!! Man that shakes the room!
Do what you may, you still envision those apes.  Damn you Stanley Kubrick! :finger:

jimdgoulding

« Reply #804 on: 9 Jan 2013, 04:08 am »
That has the look of a collector's item.  Could it be an oldy but goody?

S Clark

« Reply #805 on: 9 Jan 2013, 06:31 am »
That has the look of a collector's item.  Could it be an oldy but goody?
Yep, the stereo version goes for silly prices.  Fortunately, mono is still reasonable, but going up all the time.  I'm pretty sure this was two bucks at the local store.

S Clark

« Reply #806 on: 10 Jan 2013, 11:23 pm »
Just a follow up... the stereo version LsC 1806 is available for about $50 on ebay or NM with 1st stampers for only $250!!!
I just picked up another mono version, LM 1806, for $4+.  Thank goodness there aren't that many of us playing mono cartridges.

Soundminded

« Reply #807 on: 13 Jan 2013, 03:38 pm »
I've been listening to Schubert's Rosamunde played by The Chamber Orchestra of Europe with Abbado. DG 431-655 2.  This is not a profound work but it is a beauty. Tons of great melodies, terriffic orchestration, wonderful singing, a true delight. An excellent performance and recording. Highly recommended. I think Schubert is one of those composers who is too often taken for granted, very underappreciated. Like so many others, he lived in the shadow of Beethoven.   

aragon63

• Dorian, Lydian, Phrygian,Jazz Minor
« Reply #808 on: 14 Jan 2013, 03:18 am »

AIFF

S Clark

« Reply #809 on: 14 Jan 2013, 04:04 am »

Another local find for $2,
Brahms 2nd Sym w/ Toscanini and the NBC orch.   RCA LM-1713  Clean copy, powerful performance.
« Last Edit: 14 Jan 2013, 03:19 pm by S Clark »

Dave G

« Reply #810 on: 14 Jan 2013, 03:16 pm »

Vivaldi - Music for Mandolin and Lute (Rolf Lislevand)

cheap-Jack

« Reply #811 on: 14 Jan 2013, 07:17 pm »
Hi.

Zarathustra!! Man that shakes the room!
Yup, I did not know how much subsonic bass I had missed until I added on my 100W 10" subwoofer.

I can virtually 'see' the low low subsonic openning bars of my "Zarachustra" LP roll toward under me. The finishing pipe organ bass pedal notes of the first moment are also overwhelming! You've said it -"Shaking the room"!

c-J

cheap-Jack

« Reply #812 on: 14 Jan 2013, 07:30 pm »
Hi.

Sorry, I never go for any monaural LPs. I pick only stereo recordings.

That said, I taped so much AM broadcast (mono) music off the air on cassette many years back.

c-J

PS: Again, the Strauss' "Also Aprach Zarathustra" stereo LP I picked up from my favourite thrift store which sounds superb subsonically, only cost me 75 cents!

aragon63

« Reply #813 on: 18 Jan 2013, 10:43 pm »

AIFF

aragon63

« Reply #814 on: 20 Jan 2013, 06:34 pm »

AIFF

jimdgoulding

« Reply #815 on: 20 Jan 2013, 07:32 pm »
Vaughan Williams Sym no.5 and Serenade To Music with Boult conducting the LPO (EMI).  Beautiful playing and recording.

rbbert

« Reply #816 on: 20 Jan 2013, 08:22 pm »
Jarvi conducting short Saint-Saens pieces on a stunning sounding SACD

« Last Edit: 22 Jan 2013, 04:01 pm by rbbert »

rbbert

« Reply #817 on: 22 Jan 2013, 04:00 pm »

Very nice and a fantastic bargain from Amazon Marketplace sellers!

Ericus Rex

« Reply #818 on: 22 Jan 2013, 04:28 pm »
Hi.
Sorry, I never go for any monaural LPs. I pick only stereo recordings.

Too bad.  You're missing out on about 50 years of recorded music.

john dozier

« Reply #819 on: 22 Jan 2013, 06:27 pm »
I keep waiting for the "lost" Furtwangler stereo recordings! Regards