What classical music you listening to, luv?

kingdeezie

Re: What classical music you listening to, luv?
« Reply #640 on: 22 Nov 2011, 04:03 pm »
My first actual "classical" purchase!

1996/Ryuichi Sakamoto Trio  :thumb:

Todd_A

« Reply #641 on: 22 Nov 2011, 05:44 pm »

New to this circle, and pretty new to AudioCircle generally (arriving via Salk Sound).  Anyway, working my way through Andras Schiff's Schubert set for a second time.  For those who go for sets (I go for sets and individual discs - I want it all), this is among the best to my ears, in the same category as Wilhelm Kempff, Michael Endres, and Christian Zacharias.

drjjpdc

« Reply #642 on: 6 Dec 2011, 01:22 am »
Sibelius Violin Concerto with Heifetz/Hendl in the 45 RPM version by Classic Records obtained from Acoustic Sounds. The New Jersey Symphony Orchestra version of Carmina Burana (their own recording). And since I am a pipe organ nut, San Francisco Symphony doing the Copland Organ Symphony and the Ives Concord Sonata transcribed for orcherstra by Henry Brandt. Organ was played by Paul Jacobs. 

rpf

« Reply #643 on: 6 Dec 2011, 01:40 am »
Robert Moran's "Trinity Requiem" on Innova.  A very beautiful piece.

timjthomas

« Reply #644 on: 7 Dec 2011, 07:42 pm »
Shostakovich: The String Quartets - Emerson String Quartet

drjjpdc

« Reply #645 on: 7 Dec 2011, 09:34 pm »
Tim,

Good choice, it's a great set. If you like it and you don't have a set of Bartok SQ's, get the Emerson version, it is also excellent.

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #646 on: 7 Dec 2011, 10:02 pm »
Johann Sebastian Bach - Cello Suites - Pandolfo (Viola Da Gamba) CD 1

drjjpdc

« Reply #647 on: 14 Dec 2011, 12:45 am »

New to this circle, and pretty new to AudioCircle generally (arriving via Salk Sound).  Anyway, working my way through Andras Schiff's Schubert set for a second time.  For those who go for sets (I go for sets and individual discs - I want it all), this is among the best to my ears, in the same category as Wilhelm Kempff, Michael Endres, and Christian Zacharias.
Todd,
If you really like the Schubert sonatas, you owe it to yourself to hear the Maurizio Polini version on DG. It may be a little more animated for your taste if you really like Schiff, but you should check them out.

Todd_A

« Reply #648 on: 14 Dec 2011, 06:24 pm »
If you really like the Schubert sonatas, you owe it to yourself to hear the Maurizio Polini version on DG. It may be a little more animated for your taste if you really like Schiff, but you should check them out.

I have Pollini's DG Schubert and enjoy it quite a bit.  I can't say that he matches the great readings of the individual works (Brendel in 959, Kovacevich [Hyperion or EMI] or Richter [Salzburg 1972] in 960, to name a few), but he offers quite a bit.  I find Pollini supremely controlled, as usual.  If I want really animated Schubert, I can always go for Gulda's few recordings.

drjjpdc

« Reply #649 on: 14 Dec 2011, 08:08 pm »
Todd,

You and I seem to be on a similar wavelength in music. Quite good insight in this thread. Do you read music?

I've been reading a series of books by the pianist, Charles Rosen. I am reading The Romantic Era and it is fantastic, especially his views on Chopin and Liszt. I only asked about reading music because is loaded with musical notation quotes. I don't read music but I take the book downstairs and listen as the book goes.

I especially like his points about Chopin's innovations, beside being a "salon pianist" as most people think. His point how Chopin took inspiration from Bach and even Bellini in stringing notes much like an opera aria but with piano music. Highly recommended!

dflee

« Reply #650 on: 14 Dec 2011, 08:20 pm »
Just got my wife the complete Mozart symphonies conducted by Trevor Pinnock. She has listened to and played classical most of her life and there was stuff she had never heard ( Mozart is her favorite). It is quite well done musically and produced nicely.

aragon63

• Dorian, Lydian, Phrygian,Jazz Minor
« Reply #651 on: 14 Dec 2011, 10:27 pm »

AIFF

aragon63

• Dorian, Lydian, Phrygian,Jazz Minor
« Reply #652 on: 14 Dec 2011, 11:43 pm »

AIFF

timjthomas

« Reply #653 on: 15 Dec 2011, 12:38 am »

I have Pollini's DG Schubert and enjoy it quite a bit.  I can't say that he matches the great readings of the individual works (Brendel in 959, Kovacevich [Hyperion or EMI] or Richter [Salzburg 1972] in 960, to name a few), but he offers quite a bit.  I find Pollini supremely controlled, as usual.  If I want really animated Schubert, I can always go for Gulda's few recordings.

Any thoughts on Uchida for Schubert?

Todd_A

« Reply #654 on: 15 Dec 2011, 02:40 am »
You and I seem to be on a similar wavelength in music. Quite good insight in this thread. Do you read music?

No, I don't read music.  I haven't had to do so for decades, and then I was bad at it, so I'm admittedly illiterate musically.  All my comments are based on what I like, and generally are based on comparative listening.

Any thoughts on Uchida for Schubert?

I'm not a big fan of Uchida, and I find much of her Schubert, like much of her solo Mozart, to be too quirky and/or disjointed for me.  It rarely flows in many of the bigger late works, and she isn't lyrical enough in some others (D664 comes to mind).  That written, D845 and D850 are quite well done.

timjthomas

« Reply #655 on: 15 Dec 2011, 08:04 am »
Been listing to these all week at work. 

Shostakovich: Complete Symphonies - Barshai

Ericus Rex

« Reply #656 on: 15 Dec 2011, 12:59 pm »

I'm not a big fan of Uchida, and I find much of her Schubert, like much of her solo Mozart, to be too quirky and/or disjointed for me.  It rarely flows in many of the bigger late works, and she isn't lyrical enough in some others (D664 comes to mind).  That written, D845 and D850 are quite well done.

+1 regarding her Debussy solo piano discs as well.

dflee

« Reply #657 on: 15 Dec 2011, 01:42 pm »
She did a pretty good job on the Mozart sonatas.

Ronm1

• "A Bug!! Naa...thats a feature!
« Reply #658 on: 16 Dec 2011, 10:09 am »
Beethoven| 5 Piano Concertos/triple Concerto - Fisher, Istomin, Stern, Rose, Szell, Ormandy 3cd's Sony
Pretty good for a budget set, IMHO, of course

Ericus Rex

« Reply #659 on: 16 Dec 2011, 12:43 pm »

Not quite as exciting as his original Chamber Symphony but entertaining nonetheless!