Blacks are muddy sh*t

stlrman

Blacks are muddy sh*t
« on: 3 Mar 2016, 02:04 pm »
Using an Epson DLP about 13 years old. 720p , brighter movies are fine, enjoyable.
Any dark movies , scenes, become unwatchable, as all the detail is lost . Basically we are just watching a black muddy mess. I watched Room last night, after ten minutes switched to my plasma TV, and viola!, it was like watching a different movie . All the detail was back.
My room is pretty dark . I have a sheet over the only window. I think the screen is 1:1 or 2 .
So I am hoping to upgrade my projector in the next year to a BenQ 1070.
Will the better projector , combined with Bluray capabilities solve a great % of black issues?
Thanks!

kingdeezie

Re: Blacks are muddy sh*t
« Reply #1 on: 3 Mar 2016, 03:24 pm »
I would say, most likely no.

Black levels are an issue in a lot of projectors, especially in the budget realm.

I had a JVC projector, which in general is regarded as some of the best black levels for a projector, in the sane price level range. It still didn't produce black levels on par with my plasma, and got totally eviscerated by the OLED that replaced it. Black levels, and contrast are some of the most important PQ qualities, IMHO.

Part of the problem is fighting between brightness, and black levels. For the JVC, I had to use a Dalite Highpower screen to get enough brightness and punch in the image, which, since the screen added gain, raised the black levels. If I moved to a flat gain screen, the black levels would improve, but the overall brightness level would decrease. Pick your poison.

If you want to improve what you have now, and you aren't already doing so, I would try a grey projection screen. This can sometimes help more budget oriented projectors achieve better black levels. The downside is that they generally come with lower gain.

The most important point of my diatribe here is that, projectors offer immersion, generally, at the cost of overall PQ. You can enjoy the image, but the black levels are never going to match that of a great plasma or OLED TV.

Said another way, adjustments in expectations could increase your overall enjoyment.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #2 on: 3 Mar 2016, 03:34 pm »
Using an Epson DLP about 13 years old. 720p , brighter movies are fine, enjoyable.
Any dark movies , scenes, become unwatchable, as all the detail is lost . Basically we are just watching a black muddy mess. I watched Room last night, after ten minutes switched to my plasma TV, and viola!, it was like watching a different movie . All the detail was back.
My room is pretty dark . I have a sheet over the only window. I think the screen is 1:1 or 2 .
So I am hoping to upgrade my projector in the next year to a BenQ 1070.
Will the better projector , combined with Bluray capabilities solve a great % of black issues?
Thanks!
Absolutely!

Black levels in FP won't match top tier Plasma's or OLED/4k, but you can certainly get much better black levels with a new FP. Do the research yourself (one of the things AVS Forum is good for), or consult with a reputable dealer, explaining your situation and goals (Projector People or similar).

In a fully light controlled room with a good FP Calibrated properly and the right screen, you can get very good/great Black Levels. It might be a bit pricey.....

Edit**

FYI, I went from a 720p InFocus to a 1080p InFocus 8602 (both DLP's) several years ago and noticed a significant improvement in the black level.

steve in jersey

« Reply #3 on: 3 Mar 2016, 03:50 pm »
I don't know how much gain in contrast you'll pick up , but you might try using a gray or silver screen & try to get that room you're using as dark as you can

That said, I seem to remember hearing that getting really dark levels from a projector can be a challenge from any sub several $k projector (I would also agree that to get the most out of a FP , having it calibrated is definitely in order)

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #4 on: 3 Mar 2016, 03:58 pm »
I would say, most likely no.

Black levels are an issue in a lot of projectors, especially in the budget realm.

I had a JVC projector, which in general is regarded as some of the best black levels for a projector, in the sane price level range. It still didn't produce black levels on par with my plasma, and got totally eviscerated by the OLED that replaced it. Black levels, and contrast are some of the most important PQ qualities, IMHO.

Part of the problem is fighting between brightness, and black levels. For the JVC, I had to use a Dalite Highpower screen to get enough brightness and punch in the image, which, since the screen added gain, raised the black levels. If I moved to a flat gain screen, the black levels would improve, but the overall brightness level would decrease. Pick your poison.

If you want to improve what you have now, and you aren't already doing so, I would try a grey projection screen. This can sometimes help more budget oriented projectors achieve better black levels. The downside is that they generally come with lower gain.

The most important point of my diatribe here is that, projectors offer immersion, generally, at the cost of overall PQ. You can enjoy the image, but the black levels are never going to match that of a great plasma or OLED TV.

Said another way, adjustments in expectations could increase your overall enjoyment.

I agree with your general statements, but in terms of the specific ask of the user...black levels have SUBSTANTIALLY improved in pj's over the last 10+ years.

I had a top rated (and hideously expensive) Marantz DLP from 10+ years ago and compared to a sub $1000 pj from today it gets toasted across the board!!

Great tip on managing expectations.   :thumb:

George

mojave

« Reply #5 on: 3 Mar 2016, 04:11 pm »
1.  The black levels on any 13 year old projector are atrocious compared to modern projectors.
2.  As the bulb ages, the contrast ratio suffers greatly.
3.  Gamma determines how fast a projector comes out of black. The current standard is BT.1886. Calibrating to this standard with a modern projector gives one the best black levels and low light levels. BT.1886 takes the black floor of the display into consideration during calibration.
4.  Even on a modern projector, if you don't have gamma right, it can look like a muddy mess.
5.  You might also consider the BenQ HC1200. However, for the best black levels and image you need to go with a JVC RS400 or higher model.
6.  A higher gain screen with a current model JVC projector gives a higher contrast ratio, not a lower one. This is because one can close down the iris in the projector which improves black levels. You also want the higher gain screen if you are going to playback UHD Blu-rays with HDR.

stlrman

« Reply #6 on: 3 Mar 2016, 05:21 pm »
Thanks so much gentleman! :thumb: lots of great information here.
So in general , if you get a grey screen, you get better blacks , but colors will not be as bright.