Routing all audio through computer?

Bear

Routing all audio through computer?
« on: 21 Jan 2016, 06:35 pm »
Im looking for some suggestions here, I am contemplating some DIY speakers for a theater set-up, in doing so I am considering using JRiver MC for corssover and DSP functions.

Components in this system:

Time Warner Cable Box

=>Oppo BDP105D(split video/audio) via HDMI

=>80" Sharp Display via HDMI(video only)
+
=> OppoBDP105D => Sony AVR STR5300es via HDMI(audio)

=>JBL LSR308's in a 5.2 config. via AVR pre-outs to JBL308's

Currently using an older Sony Laptop with i7 processor as a music server connected via USB BDP105D analog outs to AVR and AVR pre-outs to powered JBL308's.

The entire mess is currently controlled using iRule and JRemote app.

My question is how best to get audio/(video?) routed through computer to make use of JRiver for Xover and DSP duties to maximize sound quality and/or minimize complexity.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks,
Shane

Bear

Re: Routing all audio through computer?
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jan 2016, 08:07 pm »
no suggestions...

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 22 Jan 2016, 09:35 pm »
Never used JRiver for anything except music so can't help.  You do realize that for $130 (give or take) and up you can get an authorized factory refurb receiver from a place like accessories4less.com with Audyssey and just plug in the set-up microphone and be done with it.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #3 on: 22 Jan 2016, 11:29 pm »
I think the short answer is that you can't really route external audio / video through your laptop and / or Jriver, particularly not in realtime, and even if you could, what would you output it to particularly for multichannel audio?  And even then the result would likely be no better than what our could achieve with most hone theater receivers or pre-pros.

Maybe if the source originated at the laptop (if it had an internal or USB blu Ray or you were playing an audio / video file)  AND somehow Jriver could play it AND apply the crossover / dsp functions / filters AND then somehow output that information to an external device that could convert that digital information to analog to pass along to your powered speaker or your future presumably DIY speakers.

Not sure why doing a diy speaker requires this either, unless they are going to be crossover-less and you specifically want hi or low pass filter (or apply eq) outboard.

In the end though there is a relatively inexpensive and effective device that does all that - the usual home theater receiver or preamp / processor. Personally I would also agree that audyssey or one of the proprietary digital room eq programs that some HT receivers use is probably going to trump performance wise anything you could do manually via Jriver - even if you did your own real time analysis of your room and eq curve into Jriver.

Bear

« Reply #4 on: 23 Jan 2016, 12:17 am »
The end goal is to use JRiver's Convolution function for active crossover duties and DSP in 5.2 set of DIY bi-amped two ways.  For example audio from cable box to PC then out to DAC(s) to amps.  I was thinking I could use DAC of Oppo temporarily for proof of concept.  I have since realized this won't be possible for multi-channel.  I will have to use a seperate multi-channel DAC or perhaps a pro-audio device fed from a pc with an appropriate interface like a PCie sound card such as a Lynx16 or other device(mini dsp?).

In short, before investing $$$, I was try'un to get out cheap but it ain't gunna happen.