Idiotic Question: Easy way to Switch between Sound from your AVR to HDTV direct

kbuzz3

Please forgive me for the apparently basic nature of this question, but Im an old school two channel guy and have no real experience dealing with 5.1 systems.  Bottom line is my wife/kids do not like listening to regular TV through the 5.1 system and prefer the "simple" sound direct from the TV (a/k/a- they dont want to learn how to turn on or adjust the stereo).

So with that said is there any easy way to toggle between the 5 cent sound form the tv to the avr easily? Right now the only way i see to do this is to go into the tv sound menu and manually switch to "external speakers" each time.....any help appreciated. 

Thanks

Phil A

Probably depends on the TV model and surround system (how is it hooked up and what is it) to some extent but most of what I've seen allows either external or internal speakers.  I have not problem with any of my systems.  I route the TV output into the receiver and just don't turn on the receiver when I want to watch with TV.

gregcss

How about setting the default for 'HDTV' on the AVR to stereo/2.0? Or do they want to listen through TV speakers.

Also what source is your HDTV displaying? OTA, cablebox, etc? If a box you may want to consider to ouput sound from the box to the AVR and again selecting stereo/2.0.

kbuzz3

Thanks for the reply. Yes its a cable box....and yes they prefer the sound of the cheap tv to even two channel external speakers....

Phil A

Thanks for the reply. Yes its a cable box....and yes they prefer the sound of the cheap tv to even two channel external speakers....

Does the cable box have more than one output (e.g. digital, analog)?  If so, one can go to the TV

mcgsxr

You are a generous man to submit to their desires!

I taught my kids 5+ years ago how to use the Logitech remote and turn on the TV (including associated receiver to feed the soundbar and sub).

They (and my wife) have no idea that there is any other way to do it...

Sadly I cannot comment on what you are asking - unless you use a universal remote and could build 2 macro's - one that they use that sets it up to use the $0.05 speakers in your TV (regardless of how nice your TV is) and another macro that boots up the whole 5.1 for the "informed" user(s).

Phil A

That's what I have on a couple of systems with Harmony Remotes, including the guest room.  Have the Roku box into the TV and then the TV into the AVR.  So I just select 'Roku' or 'Roku with speakers'

Phil A

The only places I have the Roku going directly into a receiver are systems that I'd only use.  I'd just recommend taking the cable box into the TV and then the TV into the AVR.

electricbear

Put in an AV receiver that does pass through when in standby. It will pass the video and audio of the last chosen source through to the tv when the receiver is not turned on. You then use the tv speakers to play the sound. Receivers that do this start around the $500 range and go up from there.

RDavidson

Put in an AV receiver that does pass through when in standby. It will pass the video and audio of the last chosen source through to the tv when the receiver is not turned on. You then use the tv speakers to play the sound. Receivers that do this start around the $500 range and go up from there.

Yup. +1

max190

• Home of the St. Louis Cardinals!
Please forgive me for the apparently basic nature of this question, but Im an old school two channel guy and have no real experience dealing with 5.1 systems.  Bottom line is my wife/kids do not like listening to regular TV through the 5.1 system and prefer the "simple" sound direct from the TV (a/k/a- they dont want to learn how to turn on or adjust the stereo).

So with that said is there any easy way to toggle between the 5 cent sound form the tv to the avr easily? Right now the only way i see to do this is to go into the tv sound menu and manually switch to "external speakers" each time.....any help appreciated. 

Thanks

Are you using HDMI cables between your cable box to your AVR then to your HDTV?