Home Audio Set Up Question - Considering Upgrade

FireGuy

Home Audio Set Up Question - Considering Upgrade
« on: 15 Nov 2015, 02:17 pm »
A friend has asked me to trouble shoot his current set up.  It's a Yamaha 7.1 with a speaker switch.  Zone B no longer works.  Somewhat sure it's a relay not engaging.  The question is...  should we get another 7.1 or upgrade to a 9.2?  I've be told there are 11 total speakers.  In two rear rooms the installer placed two volume switches, however there is no additional/separate amp.  Is today's config worth just getting another AVR and not doing a change (other than a new 7.1 AVR)  or is it best to trash it and go with 9.2?  Yamaha is 10 years old +.   If more info is needed let me know.  Thanks for your input.

Phil A

Re: Home Audio Set Up Question - Considering Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: 15 Nov 2015, 02:57 pm »
If you want the new formats then there are new receivers and decent deals can be had at accessories4less.com.  Ten years is good use from a receiver.  Then again if he is happy with the receiver, a speaker switch is not expensive.  I might even have an Adcom switcher in the garage that I used in the old house.

Austin08

« Reply #2 on: 15 Nov 2015, 07:01 pm »
Imo, the new current modern receiver is worth to consider. Even an average reciever offers so many nice futures for not so much money- new hd sound format, wifi streaming, auto EQ, hd video pass through...

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #3 on: 15 Nov 2015, 07:46 pm »
I'd go for a new one as well as a 10 year old one is unlikely to have good automated room correction (e.g Audyssey or equivalent). The connectivity features of a modern receiver are nice as well - AirPlay / Bluetooth / upnp / etc).

I'd do 11 channel if he wants to eventually go 4 channel Dolby Atmos - or wants to power 2 additional zones. Otherwise a 7 channel receiver is sufficient.

FireGuy

« Reply #4 on: 15 Nov 2015, 09:04 pm »
After some thought and reading the responses from today decision will be made to go with a 9.2 and forego the switching module... and see what can be done with those in-wall volume controls for the back room speakers. 

milford3

« Reply #5 on: 16 Nov 2015, 01:00 am »
I am happy, happy and more than happy with my Marantz SR 7008 for HT.  Well built with tons of features. 

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/marantz-sr7008-av-receiver#ogVbYjjas62XmKYz.97

Phil A