12BH7 Tube Recommendations

jlafrenz

12BH7 Tube Recommendations
« on: 26 Mar 2013, 11:52 pm »
I have a Scott Nixon DAC using a 12BH7. I went back and forth between this one and a couple of SS units ultimately keeping the Scott Nixon because of the ability to tube roll. I really like how smooth it is and that I can listen for long periods. What I do notice compared to the SS DAC's is that they have a bit more punch and some have a bit bigger overall sound stage. I am hoping that someone with this DAC or experience with the 12BH7 can suggest some tubes to try out.
« Last Edit: 28 Mar 2013, 02:41 am by jlafrenz »

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
Re: 12BH7 Tube Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: 28 Mar 2013, 02:56 pm »
  Try RCA.

charles

underdawg

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 28 Mar 2013, 04:53 pm »
the new jj chinese gold pins are good, I use them in my Cary amps over the RCA and GE's.

beanstocks

« Reply #3 on: 28 Mar 2013, 05:09 pm »
Just popped in 2 NOS "ole" GEs in my modded Heathkit W6s and they sound terrific.  Cheap tubes to buy and stock up.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #4 on: 28 Mar 2013, 06:13 pm »
Sylvania or RCA. I have both, they are both good. Look for long plates.

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 28 Mar 2013, 06:54 pm »
Any of the RCA Black Plate are good. Another (my favorite) is the Tung Sol black plate with the fat D getter. They are a tad more lively sounding than the RCA's.

jlafrenz

« Reply #6 on: 29 Mar 2013, 01:04 am »
I have used Amperex, Sylvania, GE and RCA varieties in other tube gear (not 12BH7) and tend to gravitate towards the Amperex and Sylvania. Not sure if their characteristics are similar through various tube types, but would guess they might be. I think I am going to find some Sylvania's to try. If I come across GE or RCA that are a deal then I will pick them up. I see long plates and black plates are the ideal ones to pick up. Any more specifics I should watch out for?

Gvt1911

« Reply #7 on: 29 Mar 2013, 02:00 am »
I have many "flavors" of 12BH7's in stock in case you are looking...
joeywaffles@gmail.com

jlafrenz

« Reply #8 on: 29 Mar 2013, 11:56 pm »
I have many "flavors" of 12BH7's in stock in case you are looking...
joeywaffles@gmail.com

Care to make any recommendations for my situation?

thorman

« Reply #9 on: 30 Mar 2013, 12:48 am »
Hi : I have had many years of using variuos 12bh7 and 12bh7a tubes ( Thor Audio Monoblocks ) and my Findings are RCA's are warm and smooth ( Black plates are better than Grey ) ..Ge's are very sterile and very neutral...I ended up after many years of rolling settling on Sylvania ( Pinched plates from Tubeworld...They seem to fall in between the RCA's and Ge's ( Closer to the Ge's ) and allways worked well for me..In some situations a 12au7 can also be used,be you would need to find out from the manufacturer of the euipment your use them in..The RCA 12au7 Cleartop Sidegetters are a great 12au7, if in fact you can use a 12au7 in place of a 12bh7........Bottom line try a quality NOS Sylvania 12bh7 and go from there..............Good luck.........

Audioclyde

« Reply #10 on: 30 Mar 2013, 01:23 am »
@thorman:  not to hijack thus thread, but a pair of Thor Audio PA 30 monos are being delivered Tuesday; I can't wait to give them a spin.

I landed matched pairs of RCA & Sylvania 12bh7as, both black & gray plates, so I will have weeks of tuberolling fun ahead of me!

Randy

geowak

« Reply #11 on: 30 Mar 2013, 02:25 am »
I guess I like NOS Sylvania, GE and RCA. I tend to prefer the military grade ones the best. There are built to higher specs and sound
to me better and are more reliable.

thorman

« Reply #12 on: 31 Mar 2013, 12:44 am »
Randy : The Thor stuff is great .I have owned Thor equipment for 15 years ..Recently downsized but feel free to PM me anytime..I used to live near curent Ted, ( Thor Audio  owner ) before he moved to Texas .I have tried the RCA Cleartop 12au7's also in the Thor TPA30's..Its a matter of personal choice..I ended up deciding on the 12bh7a Sylvania..
Also the VH Audio Flavor 4 Power Cords work very well on the Thor Monos..........

morganc

« Reply #13 on: 31 Mar 2013, 01:20 am »
Hi Guys,
    I used Brimar 13D6's with great success at a great price.    I can't remember the qualities it had over my other choices, but I never put the RCA's back in after buying the Brimars. 

jlafrenz

« Reply #14 on: 4 May 2013, 12:42 am »
I picked up a couple of Sylvania tubes, but they really didn't live up to my expectations. They sounded congested which I really didn't expect from them based upon other Sylvania tube types that I have. Is there a specific Sylvania you guys recommend? I am still open to other tubes as well. Just haven't had a chance to pick any up.