Cheap diffusion option...

Gopher

Cheap diffusion option...
« on: 26 Nov 2013, 03:09 pm »
A friend of mine knew I was in the market for inexpensive diffusion for my front wall and led me to a solution which was used at CES a year or two back by a big name speaker manufacturer in it's room:  http://mioculture.com/paperforms/acoustic-weave-paperforms-white.html

From the pictures it looks attractive and durability would not be a concern based on its location.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this cheapie? 

deauguie

Re: Cheap diffusion option...
« Reply #1 on: 30 Nov 2013, 01:29 pm »
I just looked at the web page and these look very interesting.  I too would like to know if anyone has used these tiles for diffusion in a music room.

Anyone?

Auguie

raysracing

« Reply #2 on: 30 Nov 2013, 01:43 pm »
I just have to post since this is so rare, but I could actually afford this....for once in audiophile history.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 30 Nov 2013, 02:08 pm »
Buy it for looks if that's your thing, but acoustics? 

Seems that 0.03 inch thick paper would not stop much acoustic energy, therefore be minimally effective.

The surface profile doesn't vary, so even if the paper was acoustically opaque, it would only affect a very narrow frequency range.

Reminds my of paper egg cartons, just better looking.

Better off using bookcases loaded with a variety of sized/shaped stuff.

rodge827

« Reply #4 on: 21 Mar 2014, 12:08 pm »
This stuff looks very interesting.

Has anyone installed this product yet?

Results?

Guy 13

« Reply #5 on: 21 Mar 2014, 12:28 pm »
Hi all.
The way I see it, it's more for decoration than for audio purpose.
Nice lloking stuff, but not very efficient.
Also, I think you would be looking for trouble if it's in a busy passing area,
since it's made of thick paper.

Guy 13

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #6 on: 21 Mar 2014, 01:23 pm »
I have to agree. It really doesn't look like it would be all that effective. If anything it might scatter UPPER UPPER frequencies, but who really knows without testing.  See the following on how diffusion really works,
http://www.gikacoustics.com/video-how-diffusion-works/

rodge827

« Reply #7 on: 21 Mar 2014, 01:58 pm »
Gents,

Thank you for the responses. :D
I'm pretty well versed in the principles of diffusion and how it improves the sound and depth to a room by scattering frequencies to reduce reflection.
I have just acquired my daughters bedroom (14w x 16l x 8h) (she moved out!  :dance:) to use as a dedicated listening room and essentially have a blank canvas to work with. I'm a pro paperhanger by trade and this product fits in my wheelhouse. I was thinking of using some of the various pattern designs on the ceiling and opposing walls to give the "box" a fun look.
My main concern was whether or not this product would contribute to the combing effect that can come from over diffusion.

I asked a general question, so as to determine if by experience this product made a positive or negative result in sound quality?

Chris

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #8 on: 21 Mar 2014, 10:31 pm »

I think they would work great for diffusion. Buy em.

Rocket_Ronny

ricardojoa

« Reply #9 on: 22 Mar 2014, 12:35 am »
The way i see it, it will most likely have an effect on sound if it covers a large area, and your room has hard surface. To me, it seems the paper itself will dampen the sound, and with the wave form, it will reflect the sound differently then a straight wall.

Rob Babcock

• Facilitator
« Reply #10 on: 22 Mar 2014, 07:33 am »
I like the appearance, and I doubt they would hurt the sound (probably not help much, either).  I wonder if the backside is open/accessible?  I'd love to see picks of the product if you jump.  Maybe the back could be filled with something (expanding foam, rock wool, etc) to improve acoustic performance.  Perhaps they could be covered with bed liner or 'glass resin and then painted.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #11 on: 22 Mar 2014, 10:47 am »
The length of sound waves (in inches) is easily defined as 13,000 divided by the frequency in Hertz.  So a 1,000 Hz sound wave is 13 inches long (rarely are diffusion products more than 6 inches deep, so they cannot be effective at 1,000 Hz or lower).

In order to diffuse the material/product must stop sound transmission, without absorption, so that it can be reflected (at the frequency of interest).  This must be taken into consideration when you're designed/shopping for diffusion.

In order to cover as wide of range of frequencies possible the texture/depth of the diffuser must be randomized, hence the interest in quadratic (a mathematical method for generating maximum randomness) diffusers.  One of the best designs I've found is wooden 2"x2"s cut to random (quadratic) lengths that are packed side by side on end and attached to sheets of plywood.  Heavy but cheap, easy to build, and effective. 

Then there is the whole study of psychoacoustics that relates physical phenomenon to how we perceive the sound they make which explains how much size, frequency range, and location of diffusion we "need" in a given room.

Guy 13

« Reply #12 on: 22 Mar 2014, 12:02 pm »
The length of sound waves (in inches) is easily defined as 13,000 divided by the frequency in Hertz.  So a 1,000 Hz sound wave is 13 inches long (rarely are diffusion products more than 6 inches deep, so they cannot be effective at 1,000 Hz or lower).

In order to diffuse the material/product must stop sound transmission, without absorption, so that it can be reflected (at the frequency of interest).  This must be taken into consideration when you're designed/shopping for diffusion.

In order to cover as wide of range of frequencies possible the texture/depth of the diffuser must be randomized, hence the interest in quadratic (a mathematical method for generating maximum randomness) diffusers.  One of the best designs I've found is wooden 2"x2"s cut to random (quadratic) lengths that are packed side by side on end and attached to sheets of plywood.  Heavy but cheap, easy to build, and effective. 

Then there is the whole study of psychoacoustics that relates physical phenomenon to how we perceive the sound they make which explains how much size, frequency range, and location of diffusion we "need" in a given room.

:thumb:

rodge827

« Reply #13 on: 22 Mar 2014, 12:51 pm »
Gents,

@Rob Babcock...My same thoughts.  8)

@JLM...I will be using "serious" diffusion such as the quadratic design you mentioned. I liked the look of the Paper Forms and they will be more decorative than functional. My concern is if they would affect the sound negatively from over use. Building QRD's might be a good project to convince the ahem "Boss" that a new table and chop saw is imperative for us to have!  :green: 

Thanks for the input and keep it coming.  :D

jk@home

« Reply #14 on: 22 Mar 2014, 12:59 pm »
How about diy polycylindrical diffusers? They are not the same as QRDs, more like sound scattering. Very easy to build though, and cheap enough to where one could throw some together just to experiment.

rodge827

« Reply #15 on: 22 Mar 2014, 02:27 pm »
How about diy polycylindrical diffusers? They are not the same as QRDs, more like sound scattering. Very easy to build though, and cheap enough to where one could throw some together just to experiment.

Sounds interesting could you post a link to some pics or plans?

Chris

dm

« Reply #16 on: 22 Mar 2014, 03:44 pm »
I too noticed this product.  At the time I sent an email to the manufacturer and low and behold they actually had some test data.  while it does not really tell the full diffusion story, it is interesting that they at least tested the product.  see attached.

jk@home

« Reply #17 on: 23 Mar 2014, 02:37 am »
Sounds interesting could you post a link to some pics or plans?

Chris

If you search the archives of the Gearslutz forum, they are covered quite a bit over there.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/studio-building-acoustics/559833-polycylindrical-diffuser-design.html

rodge827

« Reply #18 on: 23 Mar 2014, 02:52 am »
If you search the archives of the Gearslutz forum, they are covered quite a bit over there.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/studio-building-acoustics/559833-polycylindrical-diffuser-design.html

Thanks for the link, these look interesting.

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #19 on: 22 May 2014, 04:43 pm »
Go for it.  The first design is the acoustic diffusion design - the others are decorative only.  Use both and have fun - let your supervisor pick colors she likes so you can spray paint them.   Very inexpensive to experiment with - buy a couple of cartons and attach to your rear wall with double sided tape, then compare listening before and after.  If I needed diffusion, that's what I'd do.  Nice find.