RIP Roy Clark

JakeJ

RIP Roy Clark
« on: 16 Nov 2018, 12:46 am »
Guitarist and country music star Roy Clark passed away today.  Country music's version of a shredder!  R.I.P.

Phil A

Re: RIP Roy Clark
« Reply #1 on: 16 Nov 2018, 01:03 am »
RIP - heard the news a bit earlier

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #2 on: 16 Nov 2018, 01:55 am »
Yes, very sad news.  :(

I saw Roy live at the California Mid-State Fair in 1977. I took a Greyhound there at 14 years old, the summer between 8th and 9th grade. I was a solid rocker, but Roy killed it. That man played banjo like mere mortals breathe air. He was having fun, and he let everyone there have fun with him. He was funny, candid, sometimes very deep, and man he could play the song he just described to the point that the whole crowd felt it (2,500 people left that venue as friends). He was the first real *Entertainer* I ever saw.

Rest in Peace, Roy Clark. You did good.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 16 Nov 2018, 01:56 am »
Country is a better rock&roll.
I had not knew Roy Clark and I will look some song,
here with a rare Ovation 12:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUAkzUpvNfI
RIP

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #4 on: 16 Nov 2018, 02:03 am »
I'm not a big Country music fan but when I like something, I like it. "Yesterday" by Roy did it for me.

Gene

richidoo

« Reply #5 on: 16 Nov 2018, 02:32 am »
I used to like seeing him play live on TV in the 70s. I remember him playing Dueling Banjos. RIP

JakeJ

« Reply #6 on: 16 Nov 2018, 04:33 am »
I knew I'd seen a clip of these two playing together before.  Probably back during the RIP Glen Campbell thread.

Ghost Riders in the Sky
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-sExIVBVaw

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #7 on: 16 Nov 2018, 04:45 am »
First class all the way. RIP.

jcotner

« Reply #8 on: 16 Nov 2018, 06:26 am »
I knew the man personally and can tell you what others have already said on TV. He was just the same off camera, as on camera. He didn't turn into a jerk when the tally light went off. And I sure do cherish the hours spent sitting and listening to him talk about the things he did and people he knew during his career. As a musician, I can understand how it must be to age and have a part of your soul give way to the ravages of old age. There are some seriously good guys coming up technically, I just hope they develop the character to go with it like Mr. Clark did. RIP Roy

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 5 Dec 2018, 11:36 pm »
My folks were country fans and watched Hee Haw religiously.  This was in the 70's and I was pretty young so I didn't understand what a wizard he was, just that he played very well.  As I got older and into music more (especially classical) I drifted away from most country except the "outlaw" stuff but to this day I'll say Roy Clark was one of the best players I've ever heard.  He and Buck Owens were quite a pair!  Obviously without ever meeting him I can't say what kind of person he was but his TV persona exuded warmth and goodness; looking back know he reminds me very much of my dad.  Except he played guitar better than my dad- sorry Dad! :lol:

dB Cooper

« Reply #10 on: 6 Dec 2018, 02:46 am »
Roy could play damn near any stringed instrument, in any style, and sound great doing it. I only recently learned of a collaboration he did with jazz guitar legend Joe Pass, all Hank Williams tunes.

jcotner

« Reply #11 on: 6 Dec 2018, 05:06 am »
Something else you might find interesting. He didn't read one lick of music, it was all by ear. I asked him about that once and best I can remember he told me he might have liked to, but never needed to (or something to that effect). I've played since 5 years old and I never could have done it all by ear!

Soup

« Reply #12 on: 6 Dec 2018, 01:37 pm »
May he rest in peace, however his music will live on...................................

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #13 on: 6 Dec 2018, 04:07 pm »
The man could play with the best. Thanks for the confirmation he was the man he appeared to be jcotner. RIP Mr. Clark, as noted your music will live on.