Re: A welcome to the single driver speaker circle
« Reply #41 on: 11 Sep 2007, 06:49 pm »
Jim,

Thanks, congratulations and good luck!  :D

Boris

Cacophonix

« Reply #42 on: 11 Sep 2007, 06:56 pm »
My application .... Bob Brines FT1600MKii featuring Fostex FE167E.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #43 on: 12 Sep 2007, 12:22 am »
Very glad we have this circle.

Marketing types have been pushing the 20 - 20,000 Hz myth for way too long.  I know subwoofer and supertweeter vendors hate that kind of talk, but for music 30 - 15,000 Hz is enough.  And don't forget room gain to supplement the deep bass. 

Even with these qualifiers, and as mentioned above, there are almost no "full range" single driver speakers.  But IMO the Fostex F200A qualifies, even without a cabinet (just mounted open baffle).  In my MJK "inspired" MLTL they rock!  Other single driver speaker owners that have heard them have been dumbfounded by the amount of deep bass and most of them only heard them with 2 - 6 wpc amps and without any baffle step/zobel circuit!!

Perhaps the next thread should start a list of preferred drivers, prices, and sources.
« Last Edit: 13 Sep 2007, 10:54 am by JLM »

SET Man

« Reply #44 on: 12 Sep 2007, 03:59 am »
hey buddy, i have a really nice pair of set mono block amps i rigged up, conwerted from an akai m8 tape deck, yust like what you're running.  i bet they'd drive your speakers quite nicely...   :wink:

re: single-driver speakers, i recently purchased two pairs of fostex fe-103 drivers that were stuffed into boxes that had the more modern (& cheap?) pioneer drivers extracted:

doug s.

Hey!

Doug, nice find :D Are they Alnico version? Well, how about building them a nice small TQWT cabs for them :wink:

Yes, those EL84 SE amp in the M8 sound very nice. I actually using them as headphone amps to drive my Grado SR60 right now... mostly for late night. :D Yes, they will drive my Fostex FE167E but still I prefer my SET monoblocs. :wink:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #45 on: 12 Sep 2007, 04:33 am »
hi buddy,

i don't think these are the alnico wersions, not sure.  but the magnets are huge.  not sure about building new cabinets for them; as i will be running two pairs, stacked, crossed over to supertweeters and subwoofers w/a deqx, i think they should work fine as-is in this type of set-up.  crossing them over at ~80hz to the woofers & somewhere around 7khz-12khz to the supertweeters, i don't think i would need to get more range out of them, which a tqwt cabinet would do...  and the deqx, besides being a 3-way x-over w/adjustable x-over points & slopes adjustable up to 200db/octave, it offers speaker and room eq.  so, it will help bring the best out of these fostex drivers, i think...   but, who knows what the future will bring.   :wink:

yup, i am sure those mono block amps you have are quite nice!   :thumb:

doug s.
hey buddy, i have a really nice pair of set mono block amps i rigged up, conwerted from an akai m8 tape deck, yust like what you're running.  i bet they'd drive your speakers quite nicely...   :wink:

re: single-driver speakers, i recently purchased two pairs of fostex fe-103 drivers that were stuffed into boxes that had the more modern (& cheap?) pioneer drivers extracted:

doug s.

Hey!

Doug, nice find :D Are they Alnico version? Well, how about building them a nice small TQWT cabs for them :wink:

Yes, those EL84 SE amp in the M8 sound very nice. I actually using them as headphone amps to drive my Grado SR60 right now... mostly for late night. :D Yes, they will drive my Fostex FE167E but still I prefer my SET monoblocs. :wink:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

JohnR

« Reply #46 on: 12 Sep 2007, 08:03 am »
Funny, I don't think of myself as a single-driver kind of guy... but then I realized that is what I listen to most of the time!  :duh:

BTW - the "woofer" is actually a passive radiator ;)

Audiovista

• Industry Contributor
    • Vista-Audio
« Reply #47 on: 12 Sep 2007, 11:06 am »
Funny, I don't think of myself as a single-driver kind of guy... but then I realized that is what I listen to most of the time!  :duh:

John, nice! Tell me more about the speakers?

Thanks,
Boris

JohnR

« Reply #48 on: 12 Sep 2007, 11:32 am »
Those are Jordan JX92s drivers. Made the cabinets and "designed the crossover myself" :lol: ;) (Actually I usually do run some BSC but seem to have misplaced the power resistors at this point in time...) This was a while back. The price of the drivers has gone up heaps, last time I looked :o

I have another set but not in use -

These were intended for a small HT (obviously) and to have a tweeter put on top, which is why the driver is near the top of the cabinet.

Audiovista

• Industry Contributor
    • Vista-Audio
« Reply #49 on: 12 Sep 2007, 12:11 pm »
Thanks - those are really cool looking pieces, nice woodworking.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #50 on: 13 Sep 2007, 09:50 am »
The Jordan 92/92S drivers have been around for decades.  They use an aluminum foil cone, designed to flex so that the larger outside portion of the cone handle bass notes.  Both the efficiency and frequency range are overstated from the manufacturer, but they've been used in everything from open baffles to sealed to ported to transmission line cabinets.  And as JohnR mentioned, prices have gone up substantially (last I recall, about $150 each).

lauri

« Reply #51 on: 31 Aug 2021, 06:51 pm »

What are the dimensions of the enclosure and what are you using for the PR here?