[b]Hendrix named guitar God[/b]

lo mein

« on: 28 Aug 2003, 09:46 pm »
Hendrix named guitar God

Hendrix "made the electric guitar beautiful", Pete Townshend said
Jimi Hendrix was the greatest guitarist in rock history, according
to a list of guitar greats produced by Rolling Stone magazine.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/3181351.stm

John Casler

« Reply #1 on: 29 Aug 2003, 02:53 am »
All Along the Watch Tower :rock:

jackman

« Reply #2 on: 29 Aug 2003, 01:10 pm »
If you want to hear some scorching Hendrix guitar, pick up "Band of Gypsies".  Hendrix has a different band and it's a live album, but he is in another zone on this album.  Also, Hendrix Blues is a great album of alternate takes and a couple tracks (the first acoustic track is smokin') that showcase his unique abilities.  On the first track, someone hands him an acoustic guitar and he shows talent equal to his electric abilities.  

Regardless of where he is "ranked" by other guitarists and fans, Hendrix will always be my favorite.  His unique (yet seemingly effortless) style amazed me from the first note I ever heard and continues to do so today.

J

PS - most underrated guitarist who is as good (or better...) as ANYONE who ever played (don't even think of comparing him to EVH or EC) is Jeff Beck.  Beck has never gotten the publicity of many guitarists, and his stuff can tend to be a bit jazzie and different, but he is absolutely amazing and every bit as good as anyone.  Ironically, most of Jeff Beck's biggest fans are famous guitarists.  He's a strange guy, and is very misunderstood, but he is considered by many as the first guy who played metal style guitar.  They didn't call it that at the time..

mojoman

« Reply #3 on: 29 Aug 2003, 01:45 pm »
J-Man,

I agree with you about Jeff Beck and I'm finally, after many years of wanting to get the chance, going to get to see him live next Sunday.  I'm stoked!

jackman

« Reply #4 on: 29 Aug 2003, 02:30 pm »
Mojo,
I am very envious!  Beck is as good as it gets.  I am certain you will have a great time.  Looking forward to your report and write-up on the show!

Jman

PS-I went to see Billy Idol at the House of Blues in Chicago on Wednesday night.  His guitarist, Steve Stevens, was amazing.  Billy was also in absolute stunning form and put on an amazing show.  He is as good, or better, than he has ever been.  If I didn't know he was in his late 40's, I would have bet he was 21 years old.  His guitarist Steve Stevens absolutely rocked and ripped off some scorching solos including an amazing Flaminco guitar solo (flat picked!), and some electric solos that featured behind the head shread style guitar and some hendrix-style teeth picking.  If you have a chance to see Billy in your town, I highly recommend it.  His other band mates were equally good players.  The rythm section was also killer.    Billy also signed autographs throughout the show (while he was singing in many cases) and was having some fun with many of the ladies in the crowd.  Sold out house and he rocked it.  

Worst moment: Steve Stevens walked through out private booth to get to the back door that leads to the stage.  He said hi and looked familiar but I didn't recognize him until I looked on the stage about two minutes later and he was playing guitar.  He's a very tiny man (I'd say about five feet five) off stage... but on the stage with that guitar, he's 100 feet tall!  Incredible talent.  I can't name one 90's or 00's band guitarist who can play like Stevens...not one.  

After listening to so much Diana Krall, Eva Cassidy, Nora Jones and other soft stuff, I forgot how much I love to rock.  Billy Idol's band brought me back to how much I love Hard Rock music!

lo mein

« Reply #5 on: 29 Aug 2003, 04:00 pm »
Jeff Beck is one of my guitar hero. In fact, I rank Beck above EC and Page.

Another great, but vastly under-rated, and under-appreciated guitarist is Dave Mason (Ex-Traffic). Also Peter Green (Original Fleetwood Mac.)

How bad can he (Dave Mason) be if Jimi Hendrix wanted him to play/record acoustic guitar on 'All Along the Watchtower'?

*It's Dave Mason who played the acoustic guitar in Hendrix's 'All Along the Watchtower' record.

Even Traffic (Steve Winwood is another great, real talented, extremely fine musician.) was no small potatoes either.

jackman

« Reply #6 on: 29 Aug 2003, 04:29 pm »
Lo Mein,

I agree about Dave Mason.  I think he lives in Chicago now.  His record "Alone Together" is one of my favorite understated guitar albums.

J