Pumpkinman’s "Rock and Roll" thread.

ltr317

Re: P-Mans "Rock and Roll" Vinyl LP page
« Reply #2640 on: 20 Mar 2014, 05:05 am »
I ain't exactly a spring chicken, young fella.

Doc

Then, welcome to the club.  Cough, cough.

Bill A

« Reply #2641 on: 20 Mar 2014, 02:42 pm »
Bill A,

I did not know that Dean Torrence designed the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band's album cover. I am from Denver and the NGDB would play at the Little Bear in Evergreen CO.

I have several Jan & Dean albums but since I'm at work I'll have to wait until I'm home to post a list of them. I know I have Drag City; Dead Man's Curve/New Girl in School; Surf City and other Swingin' Cities; and Command Performance (The Theme from the T.A.M.I. Show). Do any of you remember the T.A.M.I Show? I saw it when it aired in 1964 and recently bought the DVD. It is terrific and available here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLmZRyUbgFI. 100% 1960's California.

P.S. Great albums you posted. :thumb:

Laura

Wow Laura, you do have a few Jan and Dean albums.  Even with P-Man’s 6000 inventory he has only one :icon_surprised:

As a kid I would go to my neighbor friend’s house where we would build Revell model cars while listening to Jan and Dean and The Beach Boys.  I could just imagine myself driving along some California beach in a Woodie looking for the perfect wave to Hang Ten, or in a Deuce Coup looking for “The Little Old lady From Pasadena”.

BTW, The Beach boys and Jan and Dean would perform on each other’s albums to some extent, but were not credited due to their association with different recording labels.

As for the T.A.M.I. show, I was not aware of it.  Growing up in the Ozarks, by the time pop culture reached us, it wasn't popular any more :lol:

Bill

vinyl_lady

« Reply #2642 on: 20 Mar 2014, 03:21 pm »

As for the T.A.M.I. show, I was not aware of it.  Growing up in the Ozarks, by the time pop culture reached us, it wasn't popular any more :lol:

Bill

Where in the Ozarks? When I was young we visited an aunt & uncle in Mountain Home AR and fished on Lake Norfolk and the White River. I went to college & law school at Mizzou and spent a lot of time at the Lake of the Ozarks.

I have a pretty good beach boys collection too and some car/surfin albums by the Rip Chords. Brian Wilson is a musical genius IMO and I loved the harmonies. One of the best concerts I saw was at Arrowhead stadium in the 70's with the Beach Boys and Chicago together playing Beach Boys songs.

Laura

Bill A

« Reply #2643 on: 21 Mar 2014, 01:16 pm »
Where in the Ozarks? When I was young we visited an aunt & uncle in Mountain Home AR and fished on Lake Norfolk and the White River. I went to college & law school at Mizzou and spent a lot of time at the Lake of the Ozarks.

I have a pretty good beach boys collection too and some car/surfin albums by the Rip Chords. Brian Wilson is a musical genius IMO and I loved the harmonies. One of the best concerts I saw was at Arrowhead stadium in the 70's with the Beach Boys and Chicago together playing Beach Boys songs.

Laura

This is all I have for The Beach Boys, and no Jan and Dean.

I'm in Springfield now, but grew up a little east of here. I am very familiar with Norfork Lake and have floated most all of the North Fork River above Dawt Mill, but we spend much of our summers on Bull Shoals.  All are beautiful places.

Bill

jimdgoulding

« Reply #2644 on: 21 Mar 2014, 03:18 pm »
Patti Smith's "Easter" on Arista is excellent.  Side two, that is. The first track on side one is thinner and peaky on her voice.  Maybe it gets better from the next track on.  I've been too enraptured with side two to say.  Side two has amazingly good vocal reproduction.  You'll hear what I'm talkin about on the first and second track, in particular, cause the band is not taking up all the space.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #2645 on: 22 Mar 2014, 01:11 am »
Bill,

this is my Beach Boys collection:

Jan and Dean:

vinyl_lady

« Reply #2646 on: 22 Mar 2014, 02:43 am »

vinyl_lady

« Reply #2647 on: 22 Mar 2014, 02:44 am »

vinyl_lady

« Reply #2648 on: 22 Mar 2014, 02:46 am »

vinyl_lady

« Reply #2649 on: 22 Mar 2014, 04:37 am »

Bill A

« Reply #2650 on: 22 Mar 2014, 02:47 pm »

Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells

This album is a real head-turner. It was the first album, released in 1973, by Richard Branson's Virgin label.

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #2651 on: 22 Mar 2014, 06:13 pm »

Steve Vai ~ Where The Wild Things Are

vinyl_lady

« Reply #2652 on: 22 Mar 2014, 06:49 pm »

vinyl_lady

« Reply #2653 on: 22 Mar 2014, 07:42 pm »

pumpkinman

« Reply #2654 on: 22 Mar 2014, 07:49 pm »

Bloomfield, Kooper and Stills ~ Super Session

ltr317

« Reply #2655 on: 22 Mar 2014, 08:23 pm »

Bloomfield, Kooper and Stills ~ Super Session

Yeah baby, super session!  Bloomfield kicks butt while high as the moon!!   :thumb:

vinyl_lady

« Reply #2656 on: 22 Mar 2014, 09:07 pm »

pumpkinman

« Reply #2657 on: 22 Mar 2014, 10:49 pm »

Paul McCartney ~ Ram........mono

pumpkinman

« Reply #2658 on: 22 Mar 2014, 11:28 pm »