AVA DAC MK FIVE now better yet!

avahifi

AVA DAC MK FIVE now better yet!
« on: 7 Sep 2018, 07:43 pm »
We have improved the DAC MK 5 by adding DSD 256 playback capability.  All units shipped after September 1st include this upgrade at no extra cost.

The DAC now plays PCM 44 through 192 along with DSD 64, 128, and 256 seamlessly and interchangeably.

The upgrade requires upgrading two microprocessors and unfortunately this is not a do it yourself process.

However, we will do the upgrade free of charge except for shipping if you return your DAC to us for this upgrade.

Note that DSD 256 is not supported by the current Apple operating systems, but it works just fine with a PC using our free driver software.

Please call us at 651-330-9871 before shipping so we can plan a return time that will minimize your out of service time.

Thanks for your continuing support.

Frank

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
Re: AVA DAC MK FIVE now better yet!
« Reply #1 on: 7 Sep 2018, 07:59 pm »
good news!

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #2 on: 7 Sep 2018, 08:18 pm »
Frank,

Thank you for the news. Is there any workaround (to play DSD 256) for those of us who are Apple users - other than by purchasing a PC?

avahifi

« Reply #3 on: 7 Sep 2018, 08:57 pm »
No workaround that I know of.  I had to purchase a PC laptop unit to develop, test, and verify the DSD 256 upgrade. It is what I am using in my reference system now.

Frank

rlee8394

« Reply #4 on: 8 Sep 2018, 09:16 pm »
Frank,

Do both DSD LEDs light when playback is DSD 256?

Ron

avahifi

« Reply #5 on: 8 Sep 2018, 09:20 pm »
Yes, both DSD lights are on indicating DSD256 playback.

Frank

GentleBender

« Reply #6 on: 9 Sep 2018, 12:27 pm »
Mac users should be able to install Windows on a Bootcamp partition. You just run Windows when you want to play music. I could test this out if you send me one to try.  :green: I will even make a guide...