I test drove a Tesla 3 this morning.

avahifi

I test drove a Tesla 3 this morning.
« on: 28 Aug 2018, 07:20 pm »
I drove a Tesla S3 sedan this morning.

It is pretty phenomenal!

Acceleration, neck snapping. 3.5 seconds zero to sixty.

Ride, handling, drivability, the first car I have driven that I like better than my Audi S6 Avant.

Interesting features.

Maintenance:  Essentially none at all.  Only thing under the hood is filler cap for windshield washers.

Bring it back every year or two for Tesla check out.  Brake pads supposed to last 120,000 miles as regenerative electronic braking way extends brake life.  No oil changes, spark plugs, mufflers, tune ups, belts or hoses to replace.

Darn near drives itself if desired with lane control, following distance, and even self parallel parking ability. I tested that these functions actually work as designed.

No dashboard instruments or gauges.  Just a big centered computer screen that does all normal and many unexpected functions.

Available in rear wheel drive, all wheel drive (drive motors front and rear), and sport edition (faster yet).  Tesla now has fast charging stations all over the USA except North Dakota.  Right now avoid North Dakota.

Charge at home with standard 120V outlet (very slowly) 240V outlet (much faster) or high current dedicated charging station (very fast).

Really fun to drive, especially fast!

If only my like new Audi was worth more than the “winter junker” trade in price.

Gotta wait, won’t part with my Audi for $3000. :(

Frank

I.Greyhound Fan

Re: I test drove a Tesla 3 this morning.
« Reply #1 on: 28 Aug 2018, 07:48 pm »
Nice Frank, I am considering the Model 3.  One of my colleagues picks his up this week.  I want to see what thinks of it in the winters here before I commit.

undertowogt1

« Reply #2 on: 28 Aug 2018, 08:20 pm »
We just bought a new car two weeks ago , my 1997 Camry died and we need capacity for a growing family. We went with a Subaru outback. When my second car dies we will be buying electric for sure. The battery Tech is moving very fast, the battery range is getting very good.  If I did not need the Capacity of a wagon I would have went Model 3 for sure . I am seeing a lot of them on the road here in Toronto now.

Disclosure , I am a Tesla Fan boy and share holder.

twitch54

« Reply #3 on: 28 Aug 2018, 08:26 pm »
Good luck if it breaks down, there parts distribution is a joke.

artur9

« Reply #4 on: 28 Aug 2018, 08:28 pm »
I had a Leaf and now a BMW i3.  Got the Leaf when they were basically giving them away and the BMW used for like 1/2 price.

Nothing beats an electric for acceleration.  I beat a Jag SUV on the way home.  I think I could still see it in the rearview, maybe, if I squinted :-)

And it's so quiet while doing it.  I am starting to think of it as a silent assassin :-)

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #5 on: 28 Aug 2018, 08:33 pm »
Good luck if it breaks down, there parts distribution is a joke.

Are you speaking from experience or just perpetuating a rumor? Frank just told you it has almost no parts to wear out.

undertowogt1

« Reply #6 on: 28 Aug 2018, 08:35 pm »
watch out for all the FUD out there

FUD
noun
fear, uncertainty and doubt, usually evoked intentionally in order to put a competitor at a disadvantage.

A_shah

« Reply #7 on: 28 Aug 2018, 08:42 pm »
Me & my son Test Drove the Tesla 3 car Last Sunday, technologically it is head and Shoulders above what Detroit makes , but I wonder if Elon Musk is ripping us off when the only standard color option available is black  ! if you want a red, white or any other  color it is $ 2k extra for wheel covers another $ 1500. and than $ 5000 for auto pilot another 5K for autonomous driving in the future not available now so an average configuration is about $ 58000. plus. My Son already has a leaf and we do have a level 2 charger at home , however we have come to a conclusion , electric cars are good for city driving we never get more than 80 miles on full charge even though it is rated to give us  107. after 2 years we have to pay for public charging at the rate of nearly $ 2. per Kw /hr.
Although I did book one Tesla for deliver 3 to 4 months from September 2,  hopefully  it will  give me the 310 miles Tesla  claims it is supposed to give,
My son has decided to go back to  an ICE car once his lease runs out next year.
One reason I ordered the car is because Tax credit of $ 7500 runs out at the end of this year and where we live their are rebates as high as $ 7K on electric cars

Asghar

Doublej

« Reply #8 on: 28 Aug 2018, 08:47 pm »
Are you speaking from experience or just perpetuating a rumor? Frank just told you it has almost no parts to wear out.

Parts wearing out and parts breaking are two totally different things.

avahifi

« Reply #9 on: 28 Aug 2018, 09:00 pm »
Local Tesla showroom says winter range in Minnesota will be cut by about 1/3.

Still over 200 miles in worst weather.

Frank

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #10 on: 28 Aug 2018, 09:10 pm »
Local Tesla showroom says winter range in Minnesota will be cut by about 1/3.

Still over 200 miles in worst weather.

Frank

I also worry about hot summers and run the AC, besides the heater and heated seats in 5-30 below weather here in MN.  Especially with the radio or cd player at night with the lights on.  I love my current car with its heated steering wheel, seats and mirrors.

Wayner

« Reply #11 on: 28 Aug 2018, 09:34 pm »
No one brought up the price of this marvel, or government "credits" or incentives for buying one. BTW, the use of highly corrosive salt in Minnesota will take its toll on any machine in Minnesota. I also understand the University of Minnesota did a study on electric cars and found that they actually pollute more then regular, gas powered machines. The reasons were that most of the power in the Minnesota area was generated by fossil fuels, and the construction of the batteries was an environmental nightmare.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #12 on: 28 Aug 2018, 09:50 pm »
I always wonder what will happen in the future when a lager number of Electric vehicles are the primary source of Vehicle traffic.....

....and they have to evacuate Florida/The Gulf Coast due to a Hurricane. I picture all those cars trying to leave in bumper to bumper traffic and batteries run out causing more traffic problems, causing more car's batteries to run out, causing more traffic problems. etc etc etc.

Not to mention limited range to begin with.

:peek:

:icon_twisted:

rlee8394

« Reply #13 on: 28 Aug 2018, 10:04 pm »
I test drove one Friday before last. I'm hooked. :thumb: Been driving the wife's Corolla since I totaled my Jetta TDI 8/17. :banghead: Waiting for the Tesla Solar Roof quote to come in before I drop the $2500 reservation on the M3. Looking to go Solar Roof with three Tesla Powerwalls. Wife doesn't want an electric bill!

-Ron

rockadanny

« Reply #14 on: 28 Aug 2018, 10:06 pm »
3.5 seconds zero to sixty

:o  :thumb:

ketcham

• Industry Participant
« Reply #15 on: 28 Aug 2018, 11:17 pm »
Having a Tesla S 100D and also a Porsche Macan GTS, both 2017, I can say the Tesla 3 performance is even more fun to drive.  I have an important check list to go over when taking ownership of a Tesla which I can PM anyone interested.  Even with that, I did not discover the AC was not working from the factory (bad solenoid) until in Eastern Oregon at 118 degrees.  Drove it to Salt Lake to be fixed and Tesla Roadside service is a joke. They wanted to total out the vehicle.  From what I read on the forums, the pressure to manufacture has affected assembly quality.  But if your car is well put together, it is reliable!  Distribution of parts can be challenging if you do not live near a service center.  But they are in my estimation very reliable and also very safe vehicles.

I would not trust my life with the auto pilot stuff.  The technology is has a way to go.  Internal finishes and comfort, Porsche has it beat.  Porsche is also coming out with an all electric vehicle that looks promising.  The technology 10-20 years from now will be nothing like what we see today.

Regarding snow and ice, the torque of the electric motor is disadvantageous.  I recommend both a summer set of tires for better traction and more fun to drive.  Then a winter set, with studs if your state allows it, or nonstudded winters - like Nokian.  That said, I prefer my Macan in the winter and my S is on quasi-permanent loan to my parents in Minnesota.  They love it, and the difference in cost from Macan to the S is much less than difference in gasoline and internal combustion engine maintenance.   I grew up in Minnesota and know the salted road situation.  For this reason, I recommend the S over the 3 because of materials.  Less likely to rust.  Also with regular washing, the vehicle will last.  I would recommend Tesla to anyone in the northern states without hesitation.

Historically, I drive cars until they die a natural or unnatural death.  They are great cars and again for a sporty car that is fun to drive.  The 3P - all wheel drive has different handling than the S and damn fun to drive.

A_shah

« Reply #16 on: 29 Aug 2018, 12:51 am »
I test drove one Friday before last. I'm hooked. :thumb: Been driving the wife's Corolla since I totaled my Jetta TDI 8/17. :banghead: Waiting for the Tesla Solar Roof quote to come in before I drop the $2500 reservation on the M3. Looking to go Solar Roof with three Tesla Powerwalls. Wife doesn't want an electric bill!

-Ron

Ron,
We have Solar Panels on our  roof , I had purchased Solar Panels with the "misconception that i would get clean power" for my High end two channel Listening , We have level 2 (240 Volt 30 amp EVSE ) charger Well I can tell you the bill goes up not down with PG&E in California , we charge my Sons Leaf after 11 PM but I notice that the Bill goes up not down its 3.5 hours to charge and I approximate it to be about $ 3 to $ 10 a night now that I have ordered the T-3 I will have to have my skilled neighbor to change my circuit breaker to 50 amps and inside unit to 40 amps it will take about 7/8 hours to give me a full charge. Plus now we find even in Northern California most  CHAdeMO charging stations are full even in Malls 
If you are trying to get Off Grid via Solar battery packs its not going to save you any money if you start calculating the ROI on your investment
By the way Solar panels do not supply electricity directly to your home ! it is sold to your electric  company and than at the end of the year they do a "true up" and either you get a rebate back from the electric company or end up owing them money , even I have 7.1 KVA unit on my roof I still end up paying PG&E money each year , So far as the Carbon footprint actually some one mentioned earlier post it is more expensive ! Cheers  :wink: :thumb:
Asghar 

twitch54

« Reply #17 on: 29 Aug 2018, 12:51 am »

personally, no but two acquaintances with Teslas will attest to my comment.

twitch54

« Reply #18 on: 29 Aug 2018, 12:53 am »
Parts wearing out and parts breaking are two totally different things.

get in an accident (hopefully not) , you'll understand ........

Don_S

« Reply #19 on: 29 Aug 2018, 01:01 am »
Frank,

What did you think of the fit and finish?