Magnepan 1.7's

DutchOz

Magnepan 1.7's
« on: 10 Jul 2017, 12:54 am »
Hi there,

I have got a pair of Magnepans 1.7 speakers.

They have the original stands (which are not the best) and they are placed on a hardwood floor which in turn is glued to the concrete slab of the house.

I want to put them on either a block of timber (bamboo cutting board or similar) or as Barry Diamente suggested on a slab of marble tile (shiny side down). I was wondering which method would be better (timber or marble) and which of Herbie's products to place underneath them, in order to produce an even better sound than I already have?

I very much would appreciate any feedback.

Cheers,
Rob

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Re: Magnepan 1.7's
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jul 2017, 03:00 am »
I own Magnepan 3.6
I would think the best possible thing to get would be a pair of Mye Stands.
They are expensive. but stiffen the speakers best of any efforts.

IMO the best thing to do is lock the stand to the floor.. not isolating it.
You might even find just placing thin card under the farthest end of each stock  footer to tighten up the tension in the feet to the vertical.. (using the feet as a sort of spring) but just enough to add some tension.
So like a playing card 1/2" under each end Or two cards.. The center of the foot definitely should still be in solid contact with the floor..

Good luck.

DutchOz

« Reply #2 on: 10 Jul 2017, 04:06 am »
Hi Elizabeth,

First of all, many thanks for your reply.

Reading Barry's blog it certainly seems like he is isolating his Magnepans.

To a certain extend (and I could well be wrong), isn't placing the Maggies on Mye stands a certain kind of isolation as well?

Rob

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jul 2017, 06:38 am »
If they were mine, the first thing I would do in an attempt to improve the sound would be to find some way to brace the frame against fore and aft movement, like a strut from the middle of the frame to some solid object behind the speaker, ideally the floor/wall junction, if feasible. I'd do it in a temporary fashion to test the result—a well placed broomstick or two (or equivalent) would work as a test of concept.

Every time is see a lightweight planar speaker I think of the effect of that large diaphragm, well-coupled to the air mass in contact with it, pushing against all that air and being resisted by so little mass in the frame.

I would be interested in hearing from you about the results if you try this.

DutchOz

« Reply #4 on: 10 Jul 2017, 06:55 am »
Hi Russell,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, in an ideal world I could get the Mye stands for them here in Oz but just the shipping is $800 :?

I could do a home job on it and I have certainly considered doing so.

If I do get around to it I'll post some photo's of it on the forum but in the mean time I'm thinking about placing them on either timber or marble with one of Herbie's accessories.

Cheers,
Rob

tripwr1964

« Reply #5 on: 17 Aug 2017, 12:26 am »
i have 1.6's with mye stands and cone decoupler gliders under brass spikes.
all is sitting in carpeted concrete.
very happy with results!

Dieterle Tool

• I don't know what it is, but I wunt it.
« Reply #6 on: 17 Aug 2017, 02:18 pm »
In my experience: suspended floor = isolate (decouple) gear with moving parts (speakers, TT's & CDP's) from the vibrating floor.
                                     slab floor = anchor (couple) gear to floor with solid frames, brass spikes and mass.

My photo illustrates the coupling to a carpeted, basement floor... solid frames bracing the panels. Adjustable, brass spikes to get through the carpet.  And last, added mass for a more solid stance.

-Dieter

rand

« Reply #7 on: 27 Apr 2018, 08:20 pm »
Barry D. uses a type of roller ball under his

BUT, if you think about the way a planar speaker works, it is hard to credit any effect of the Mye stands; or maybe roller balls either.  Call maggie and ask - they will tell you not to bother for the reason above.