Fet Valve 200R, Why not, Frank?

maty

Fet Valve 200R, Why not, Frank?
« on: 2 May 2014, 03:22 pm »
Hi everyone from Tarragona (Spain, EU).

-> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarragona

I have ve been trying to be sure to buy an amplifier to a small room in near-field listening over a year.

Now, I have:

PC (USB) ----> ODAC ----> AV Marantz SR4500 ----> KEF Q100

I want to renew the system, starting with the amplifier (and a preamp after).

Frank and I exchanged a few emails last year. He advised me the Synergy 240 or Synergy Control Amplifier.

Now I have more money and, above all, less afraid to spend it (2013 and earlier were very bad in the Spanish economy and everything looked very black, now becoming light, far away, but light).

After reading such positive comments regarding the Fet Valve, I thought that might be my choice but ... I do not need much power (400R: 200W and 600R: 300W).

A new Fet Valve with 100/125W would be very interesting for many, I think, including me. Synergy 240 equivalent but with tubes.

What do you think Frank and others?

- maty -

avahifi

Re: Fet Valve 200R, Why not, Frank?
« Reply #1 on: 3 May 2014, 01:00 pm »
The problem with doing a lower power Fet Valve amplifier is that it would still need all the same separate power supplies.

The high current, high voltage raw power supply for the output mosfets, followed by separate regulated output circuit power supplies for each channel

The high current low voltage raw power supply for the tube heaters, followed by separate regulated 12V heater supplies for each channel.

The low current high voltage raw power supply for the tube plates, followed by multiple regulated power supplies for each plate of each tube and the small signal mosfet.

It would still need all ten separate regulated power supplies as in the 400R and 600R.

So all the base supporting structure would still be there and there would only be minimal cost savings in trying to scale things down.

It would cost nearly as much as a 400R and thus would be an impractical choice for us to offer or you to buy.

Be happy that the amazing Fet Valve 400R 225W/ch hybrid amplifier starts at $2700 and not $10,000.

Note that David Janszen, designer of the great Janszen electrostatic speakers, just bought a second 400R, this one wired for 240V just to have one available for the Munich, Germany show later this month.  He has never heard any amplifier perform better driving his electrostats.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

firedog

« Reply #2 on: 3 May 2014, 05:10 pm »
I'd say if you can afford the amp, get it. More power won't hurt. And who knows, maybe someday you will use it in a more power hungry setup.

maty

« Reply #3 on: 3 May 2014, 06:23 pm »
Be happy that the amazing Fet Valve 400R 225W/ch hybrid amplifier starts at $2700 and not $10,000.

But I live out of USA

to Spain => [(2.700$ + shipping) + ( ) x 21% VAT/IVA] + [ ] x 4% duones = much money!!!

If shipping? 250$ => 3.712$ = 2.710 €  :duh:

charmerci

« Reply #4 on: 4 May 2014, 01:33 am »
Hi everyone from Tarragona (Spain, EU).

-> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarragona

- maty -

I've actually spent a couple of days on vacation in Terragona (as part of a longer trip.) Lovely old, city center!  :thumb:

stwombly

« Reply #5 on: 4 May 2014, 03:32 am »
Why not just go with with an Ultravalve?  I love mine and it is has way more power than you would believe even though it seems like it would be underpowered.  It is not!  And it sounds awesome!

Rocket

« Reply #6 on: 4 May 2014, 04:06 am »
Hi,

As an alternative why not try Frank's ultra valve which has less watts but is all tube.  It is my understanding that the Fetvalve amplifiers don't sound that tubey anyway.  I do understand your circumstances as I live in Australia and shipping is quite expensive here as well, however, we only pay 10% import duty and customs import duty.

Good luck with your decision.

Regards Rod

maty

« Reply #7 on: 4 May 2014, 07:22 am »
@charmerci

You can visit my very old web (I wrote the HTML code), with useful links:

TARRACO, la Tarragona Romana
-> http://maty.galeon.com/tarragona/

maty

« Reply #8 on: 4 May 2014, 07:31 am »
@Rocket

Ultravalve Amplifier

The Ultravalve uses a 5AR4 rectifier tube, two 6GH8A small signal tubes, and four output tubes. We supply it with matched quad sets of EH 6CA7 output tubes, but EL34 or KT77 tubes can be used too.Power is 35 watts per channel, but you can use it where you would normally use a 100 watt solid state amplifier. It does a great job of driving our 85 dB efficient Salk HT3 speakers full range to reasonable levels. This is one amazingly wide band, dynamic, transparent and utterly musical amplifier. It just does not have typical vacuum tube power amplifier limitations.

But I want an amplifier with lateral MOSFET (Exicon) working at class AB or B (I think Synergy and Fet Valve are class B). Tubes? at pre-amplifier or in a hybrid.

By the way, my investigation about AVA:

Synergy 240, 240/3, 300 y 450 by Audio Van Alstine (AVA)
-> http://aficionados.foroactivo.com/t228-synergy-240-240-3-300-y-450-by-audio-van-alstine-ava

maty

« Reply #9 on: 4 May 2014, 11:54 am »
Frank, maybe you are interested about this article:

OTL in Class G (Wow !!)

-> http://hiend-audio.com/2014/05/03/otl-in-class-g-wow/

=> Hard-Core OTL Design

-> http://tubecad.com/2014/04/blog0287.htm

avahifi

« Reply #10 on: 4 May 2014, 02:14 pm »
Of course the Fet Valve and Synergy power amplifiers are class AB designs, running Class A for about the first 20 watts, never Class B only.

Note to that the Synergy amplifiers also use the same Exicon mosfet output devices as the Fet Valve amplifiers do. The Synergy 240 and 300 use the singe die devices as these amplfiers have a lower power rating, the Synergy 450 and Fet Valve 400R and 600R use the double die devices  The double die Exicons are available as $25 each options in the lower powered amplfiers.

Perhaps a 150W/Ch Synergy 300 would be a more economical but still great sounding choice for you.  It is less expensve ($1500) and lighter (about 35 pounds shipping weight) and thus will have a lower shipping cost and import duty cost to Spain.

All AVA products are available wired for 240V.

If you can attend the Munich, Germany high fidelity show later this month, make sure to visit the Janszen electrostatic speaker display.  They will be using our Fet Valve 400R just purchased especially for this show.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

maty

« Reply #11 on: 4 May 2014, 02:58 pm »
Yesterday I contacted with David. I want the Fet Valve 400R "european" after MOC.  :D

Synergy 300 are the second option.

and the third option, not AVA, works with lateral MOSFET Exicon, but not TOS.

That my final selection (after a year) of three, two are of AVA and above are the first two ... says a lot about your work, Frank.

maty

« Reply #12 on: 5 May 2014, 04:24 pm »
Audio By Van Alstine Synergy Integrated Control Amplifier

-> http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0414/audio_by_van_alstine_synergy.htm

The Synergy is a 100-Watt per channel amplifier that is wrapped in a beautiful matted black finish. With 47 kOhm input impedance on all sources an hand-picked parts and made in the USA for only $1799...

What input impedance have the Fet Valve 400R and Synergy 300?

avahifi

« Reply #13 on: 5 May 2014, 05:53 pm »
The Fet Valve 400R and 600R hybrid tube amplifiers have a 1 meg ohm input impedance (triode tube input).

The Synergy solid state power amplifiers have a 25K ohm input impedance.

The Synergy control amplifier has a 47K ohm input impedance (has passive preamp switching and control functions ahead of a special high gain Synergy amplifier).

All have multiple regulated power supplies, including regulated output circuits.

Frank

Minn Mark

« Reply #14 on: 5 May 2014, 08:17 pm »
Ach !

All this talk's making me hungry for a new amp (600 R). Have to sharpen the pencil and see what I can sell off....  :o

Mark

Tom Alverson

« Reply #15 on: 5 May 2014, 09:50 pm »
@Rocket

But I want an amplifier with lateral MOSFET (Exicon) working at class AB or B (I think Synergy and Fet Valve are class B). Tubes? at pre-amplifier or in a hybrid.

The FetValve and Synergy (and all of the AVA amps) run class AB.  You would be very hard pressed to find anybody who makes a real class B amp (no idling current through the output devices at all). 

Tom

ricardojoa

« Reply #16 on: 5 May 2014, 10:29 pm »
The Fet Valve 400R and 600R hybrid tube amplifiers have a 1 meg ohm input impedance (triode tube input).

The Synergy solid state power amplifiers have a 25K ohm input impedance.

The Synergy control amplifier has a 47K ohm input impedance (has passive preamp switching and control functions ahead of a special high gain Synergy amplifier).

All have multiple regulated power supplies, including regulated output circuits.

Frank

Hi Frank,

Can one or two of the inputs be wired direct to the power amp, so that the integrated amp can work as power amp. If not, is the voume control a type of attenuator?
Thank you.

avahifi

« Reply #17 on: 5 May 2014, 10:49 pm »
The Alps precision volume control is used simply as an attenuator in the passive front end of the Synergy Control Amp.  You do not need a separate preamp or passive volume control ahead of it.

If all you need is a very high quality basic power amp in a compact chassis, we build that too, the Synergy 240 power amp in the same case size.

Frank

ricardojoa

« Reply #18 on: 5 May 2014, 11:53 pm »
The Alps precision volume control is used simply as an attenuator in the passive front end of the Synergy Control Amp.  You do not need a separate preamp or passive volume control ahead of it.

If all you need is a very high quality basic power amp in a compact chassis, we build that too, the Synergy 240 power amp in the same case size.

Frank

Right,
i actually need a power amp more then an integrated. My problem is that i have two preamps that would like to wire in the system using one power amp. The synergy amps only have one set of inputs, so i thats why i thought about the integrated amps. My current power amps seems to have a high gain thats causing a hum on the tube system. By having an integrated amp, i can lower the input signal.

maty

« Reply #19 on: 6 May 2014, 06:43 am »
@Tom Alverson

You would be very hard pressed to find anybody who makes a real class B amp (no idling current through the output devices at all).

-> https://www.google.com/search?q=naim+class+b+amplifier

I studied more solid state amplifiers and transistors. At 2014, I sinceraly think that lateral MOSFET of Exicon is the best option. During the process I have been eliminating up my final choice of three. And the three curiously work with Exicon lateral MOSFET.

After a poor answer to a my technical question (RFI/EMI) in other company, AVA amplifiers are the best election. And with double die and TOS3! And twelve tension regulators!!!

To be perfect, they would have to be double monophonic but then the price would skyrocket.

But I do need the perfection because I do not have a perfect room.