X-Statik grill options

WallyWest

X-Statik grill options
« on: 18 May 2014, 09:50 pm »
I got a pair of the X-Statik speakers, and one of the X-Voce centers.  Problem being mine didn't have grills.  I just lived with it for a while but now I'd like to make them look nice. 

On my X-Statiks there are holes for the mounting hardware drilled in the baffle, but that's it.  My X-Voce doesn't have any holes drilled at all. 

I kinda liked the look of the metal grills, but so far the only place I've found that might be able to do it is this.  http://www.reliablehardware.com/customspeakergrill.aspx

If that looks good, which size would be right for these speakers?  He has them in 5/32, 3/16, and 1/4 inch varieties.  Does it matter at all, or is that purely an aesthetic choice?

I could just build a standard cloth cover for them, I've done that before.  Is there any acoustic advantage to the metal grills? 

If there's other options I haven't thought of yet I'm all ears.  Thanks.

Danny Richie

Re: X-Statik grill options
« Reply #1 on: 19 May 2014, 04:43 pm »
The typical problem with grills is the frame. The cloth is no big deal. Frames cause diffraction effects.

The problem with metal grills (some) is ringing or resonating.

You might consider a thin steal bar inserting into the holes for the grills that go from one side tot he other. It would protecting them from someone bumping into them.

WallyWest

« Reply #2 on: 19 May 2014, 09:41 pm »
Ok, how about a relatively thin metal rod, shaped as a frame and wrapped in cloth?  Small and round shouldn't cause much if any diffraction right? 

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 19 May 2014, 10:14 pm »
Ok, how about a relatively thin metal rod, shaped as a frame and wrapped in cloth?  Small and round shouldn't cause much if any diffraction right?

If you can make that work then that will be great.