Spooky Tooth CD karma, kind of .....

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Spooky Tooth CD karma, kind of .....
« on: 15 Mar 2024, 12:15 pm »
So have been a fan of Spooky Tooth for ages. Have most of their work on LP, as well as CD now. As with many groups of that time their recording contract with Island had a requirement for 'x' number of albums. Island being the progressive label it was in those days had an interest in a certain French electronic artist/composer who was 'hot' at the time, Pierre Henry. As the label notes state, when Island proposed a 'collaboration' between the two to complete their album obligation the members of Spooky Tooth agreed. Their stipulation was it was not to be released as a Spooky Tooth titled album. Of course Island ignored that agreement, and released Ceremony: An Electronic Mass as a Spooky Tooth album. Some time back curiosity got the better of me and I acquired the CD.

Would that I had the eloquence of either of our esteemed members Steve Ford, or Ken Patchen to describe what a mess this release is. Spooky Tooth recorded some reasonably good music for it, then Island sent it to Mr. Henry for his over-dub, and that's where it all went horribly wrong. So if you've ever had any interest in what this might sound like, here's your chance to acquire it for free. Pick a number between 1-100, on April 15th I will choose a 'lucky' winner to whom I'll ship it USPS Media mail. Enter at your own risk.  :popcorn:
« Last Edit: 16 Mar 2024, 05:33 am by ArthurDent »

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
Re: Spooky Tooth CD karma, kind of .....
« Reply #1 on: 15 Mar 2024, 02:21 pm »

qdrone

« Reply #2 on: 15 Mar 2024, 03:31 pm »

jrobinson

« Reply #3 on: 16 Mar 2024, 04:27 am »

Thanks AD.

ArthurDent

« Reply #4 on: 19 Mar 2024, 03:51 pm »
Hmmm, underwhelming response to this. Oh well, it is a niche group, even more so for this particular release. So we'll let it run a little while longer, and if there's no additional interest I'll close it early, making the drawing really easy. Thanks to those who have shown interest, your odds are pretty high at this point.

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #5 on: 19 Mar 2024, 08:52 pm »
67 thanks

jrobinson

« Reply #6 on: 21 Mar 2024, 10:05 pm »
AD,

I withdraw my participation in this karma. Turns out, I already have a copy. This album came out when I was a senior in high school and I was fascinated by it at the time. Not so much now.  :o :o :o

Thanks.

ArthurDent

« Reply #7 on: 22 Mar 2024, 01:24 pm »
AD,

I withdraw my participation in this karma. Turns out, I already have a copy. This album came out when I was a senior in high school and I was fascinated by it at the time. Not so much now.  :o :o :o

Thanks.

No problem jrob, I fully understand the current lack of fascination. It certainly could have been a notable fusion effort with someone like Edgar Froese, or Klaus Schulze, the groundwork was there from ST, but Mr. Henry simply didn't have the chops. Thanks for the update.  :thumb:

Ok, so been a week, only the hardest of hardcores interested, so we'll give it one more day. Last chance to contaminate your music library with this stinker, will draw the 'lucky' winner tomorrow. Good luck to all.........

ArthurDent

« Reply #8 on: 23 Mar 2024, 02:42 pm »
Morning, ok we have a winner (?) ! After the pain staking process of making tabs for all the participants, placing them in a hat, the drawing results in number 26 being the selection. So Mr. Q Congratulations !  :thumb:  If you'll PM me your particulars I'll get this avant-garde classic (?) bagged & on it's way to you some time next week.

Thanks to all who participated, may you have a Great Weekend. Keep 'em spinning whether it's black, colored, or shiny sliver.    8)